connecting furuno 587 to HDS gen 2

Wanting to know if its possible to connect the 2 units to be able to mark a waypoint on the furuno and have it show up on the hds .
using the hds as a plotter only and it would be handy if this can be done.
So if anyone has done it could you tell me what wires to connect together please.
Thanks
Paul

Date Joined: 25/05/10

I have the 585 instead of the

Wed, 2015-10-07 11:46

I have the 585 instead of the 587 set up with a hds 7 touch and it is not possible for the furuno to mark a spot automatically to your hds. This is because the furuno sends its messages in a different format to lowrance. Saying that you can hook up the two via nmea and the furuno will read info from your hds just not send it back. This means when you push mark on the furuno it will come up with a lat and long it received from your hds. From there you can enter it manually into your hds. That's what I do. Only have to connect two nmea wires to make it happen.

Cheers.

Date Joined: 09/11/06

Thanks Hooty

Wed, 2015-10-07 12:32

Suspected that may be the case but decided to ask the question anyway
Thanks

quest's picture

Date Joined: 03/08/15

Like Hooty said

Wed, 2015-10-07 20:23

I have done the same. Using a Furuno 620 and a Gen3 Hds 9.  I'll mark the the spot using the furuno and it'll pull the coordinates from the Lowrance and display it on the Furuno. Then you have to manually put it back into the Lowrance to mark to spot on the Lowrance GPS.  Works a treat.

Date Joined: 14/05/12

option 2

Wed, 2015-10-07 15:21

or run split screen on your HDS and then if you want to mark ground you see on the 587, then just scroll back to the ground that correlates with it on the HDS sonar and mark that.

that's what I do anyway and works well as the lowrance will always show the same ground but its just that the 587 shows more or just better detail.

cheers

brett

mrwinta's picture

Date Joined: 14/01/10

exactly the same way I do

Thu, 2015-10-08 03:58

exactly the same way I do it..... way easier!

NEVER PUSH YOUR GRANNY WHEN SHE'S SHAVING