2004 E-Tec 50hp

Hi Guys,

I Just purchased a second hand 50hp Etec and the lower engine covers are cracked, some with missing bits of plastic,

Wondering about a couple of things:

1: What outboard wreckers are there in wa? I know of Ace in Belmont, and there is one in rockingham, are there any other wreckers?

2: We tried to get the bits in from the US but the shop said they were to big to ship, has anybody had this problem, and found a way around it? ( they were about $300 each from the US, instead of $1250 each from my local evinrude dealer)

3: What is the deal with the oil? I read that there are two types of oil, one which is supposed to be better, but it doesnt use as much good oil as regular oil?

4: lastly, as I do not know the full condition of the insides of the outboard I thought it would be a good idea to get it serviced by a professional, so I can get the computer printout, does anybody know of any good, in terms of service and price, places which would service it?

Cheers,

Josh

Image Upload: 

Date Joined: 01/02/10

I would definately suggest

Sat, 2011-10-01 15:22

I would definately suggest you get it checked out by somebody that knows their stuff. If it has been kicked around externally it has more than likely not been looked after internally either. XD100 is the oil you will want to be using. It is expensive but you are not going to use a whole lot of it. A good Etec mechanic can outline the benefits of this.

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Josh's picture

Date Joined: 14/09/10

It came off a commercial

Sat, 2011-10-01 15:48

It came off a commercial vessel, you may be familier with, a big yellow sailing cat out at rotto, and the guy who took it off said that they broke it when they took it off, as it was in a really tight position, and the plastic is pretty brital, which is surprising as I would have thought Evinrude would have made it a bit tougher. do you know of any good mechanics?

Date Joined: 01/02/10

I have all the diagnostic

Sat, 2011-10-01 16:37

I have all the diagnostic software and do it all myself. Probably not much help to you though seeing as though Im in Port Hedland.

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Date Joined: 09/10/06

http://www.etecownersgroup.co

Sat, 2011-10-01 16:49

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/post?Cracked-Motor-Cover-Repair-5456180

here ya go.

Also try chivers marine for servicing. they may also have some old lower cowls lying around.

Josh's picture

Thanks Holth, I will try

Sat, 2011-10-01 17:07

Thanks Holth, I will try Chivers when they open up on Monday.

Ceers Dodgy, I was actually up in Hedland a few days ago on my way back from Kunnunara, but didnt have the boat with me on this one.

Does anybody know anyone who has the diagnostic software in Perth?

Cheers

Date Joined: 09/10/06

The site of the link l posted

Sun, 2011-10-02 12:21

The site of the link l posted has all the info on what you need to make up a cable plus you can download the software there.

just use there search engine.

solly's picture

Date Joined: 11/09/05

waterworld

Sat, 2011-10-01 17:48

there a etec dealer and site sponsor(also who I bought my boat from)

There are two types of people ,do'ers and watchers
Right now the do'ers are the doing it
And the watchers are watching us do it

Josh's picture

Or even just the cable? As

Sat, 2011-10-01 17:56

Or even just the cable? 
As it seems the software is fairly easy to come by on the net

Cheers

gregk's picture

Date Joined: 03/02/09

all safe

Sat, 2011-10-01 18:22

all safe marine ambrose st off dixion rd rocko

strike_zone's picture

Date Joined: 09/09/10

try hayway marine

Sat, 2011-10-01 20:31

they are evinrude dealers some how i dont think these other guys would be able to get there hands on diagnostic software its always changing and not something you can buy

mrwinta's picture

Date Joined: 14/01/10

Definatly try Chivers....

Sat, 2011-10-01 22:58

Definatly try Chivers.... they are not my local or infact my regular dealer but 2 weeks ago I took a boat there that I was looking at buying and Mark the service manager could not have been more honest and helpfull. They are evinrude dealers too so they have all the diagnostic gear, he ran all the numbers for me and gave me the full history of the two engines put together as it turned out.... and Mark should be able to point you in the rite direction as to where to get cheap second hand parts from... Highly recomend their service!

NEVER PUSH YOUR GRANNY WHEN SHE'S SHAVING