2009 150 Series Prado Issues

Not fishing related but thought someone might have an idea.

I have a Toyota Prado 150 Series 2009. Recently it has occassionaly sounded like it has had issues turning over, you try again and it starts pefectly and runs fine.

Tonight the 4Lo light and Multi-terrain select inidcator came on and are flashing, also the check engine light and slip indicator warning light are on solid.

Has anyone had this issue, i thought i would check here if it is a simple fix, hopefully.

I really don't want to take it to the dealer but might be forced to, so they can ream me a new one right before Christmas. If anyone has a recommendation who could look at it ASAP would be appreciated as well, located NOR.

Cheers

Stevo81's picture

Date Joined: 16/04/12

Have a look on the LCOOL

Wed, 2017-12-13 05:31

Have a look on the LCOOL forum mate 

••••••••  Electrical Contractor NOR  ••••••••

Date Joined: 26/04/14

See if you can borrow a scan

Wed, 2017-12-13 05:40

See if you can borrow a scan tool and find out what the codes are. Once you no the codes you can google them and your half way there 

ranmar850's picture

Date Joined: 12/08/12

Have heard of issues re earthing

Wed, 2017-12-13 06:07

May have been earlier than 2009, but there is an earth stud, with dash connections on it,  on the body shell, right up under the dash against the windscreen. If you are not getting a good earth there,( usually due to it being painted) you will have random faults coming and going all the time. I know of two people with experience with this, cleaned it up , all the problems went, never to return. But hard to get at.

pelagicyachts's picture

Date Joined: 23/02/11

not sure if it is related but

Wed, 2017-12-13 08:14

not sure if it is related but could be low battery (not because of the turning over but because of the lights) my 200 series has a 3rd battery install (2 for cranking 1 for engel) the 3rd battery died and the same lights came on and car went into limp mode as the ECU was sensing low voltage feedback - clever system huh! - lucky I was on stirling highway not in bum fk Idaho 500k's from nowhere!
Car ran fine if I disconnected 3rd battery.....
FYI I had to disconnect all batteries for 2 minutes to reset ecu (you could try that as well)

Broady's picture

Date Joined: 16/01/13

Pradopoint

Wed, 2017-12-13 10:06

Pradopoint has some good forums dedicated to the 150 series.  If you need to borrow a scan gauge I have one.

Date Joined: 15/03/13

I'm guessing it's the

Thu, 2017-12-14 07:11

I'm guessing it's the alternator with the way those lights have come on. Doesn't explain the way it is starting but that is my guess. 

dowders's picture

Date Joined: 23/01/11

Thanks all for the

Thu, 2017-12-14 13:56

Thanks all for the suggestions and offers. I'm not overly mechanical so definately needed 3rd party help.

I ended up getting the RAC out first just to check it, they plugged onto the computer and advised it was the crank shaft sensor. 

I took it to the mechanic today and he cannot see the issue or any symptoms as the RAC cleared the codes. He advised the error hasnt come back so he cant really do much at this stage, he thought it could even just be a computer glitch and just keep any eye on it.

I will take it back this afternoon and just see how it goes and if the error comes back take it straight into the mechanic.

Cheers

Date Joined: 18/01/12

Crank angle sensor is not

Thu, 2017-12-14 16:57

Crank angle sensor is not uncommon, partly due to its location low down.
Sometimes just the plug also, or some oil/dirt on the face.

My daughters Hyundai started playing up, every couple of weeks driving along it'd just suddenly die, 5-10 min later before I could get there it'd start again and go for a week or 2.  

No codes or anything

I was away so had her take it to a local mechanic who suggested (and I agreed) the immobiliser ring on the key housing, went for a week then did it again.

She was a bit upset, paid for car herself and not good for a 17yr old.

We bought a crank angle sensor next and he let me use his hoist to chuck it in and 6 months, no more.

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

Laneo's picture

Date Joined: 05/08/12

Prado problem

Fri, 2017-12-15 11:58

I had the same problem with my 2010 only a week ago and it was water in the fuel from a self serve fuel station in Cockburn  I had 120l of diesel in the big girl Pm your number and I will give you a call and tell you how to get it sorted and get rid of the fault on the dash 

cheers Gregg 

LANEO

dowders's picture

Date Joined: 23/01/11

I forgot to post the

Sun, 2018-02-18 07:53

I forgot to post the resolution on this. Took it to one mechanic and they saw the crank angle sensor error on the computer and ended up replacing it. Ended up with the same issue. I couldnt be bothered with them and didnt want to be continually changing parts for them to guess. I bit the bullet and took it to Toyota, they diagnosed it as the alternator and it was replaced and the issue is gone. 

Date Joined: 28/07/16

Hey mate

Sun, 2018-02-18 14:50

We had the same happen to our landcruiser 200 the other day it flashed 4 lo and vsc took it to our mechanic abd he reset the computer now its all gone and runs fine but he couldnr really explain what it ment either also it uses a shitload of oil.

wont catch em sitting at home!

Date Joined: 16/05/09

check out LCOOL Forum. heaps

Sun, 2018-02-18 16:46

check out LCOOL Forum. heaps of info on there re oil usage

pelagicyachts's picture

Date Joined: 23/02/11

my first 200 (2007 model)

Mon, 2018-02-19 09:43

my first 200 (2007 model) would uses 5 litres of oil between here and Exmouth - Toyota said this was "ok" they ended up replacing the vacuum pump (from memory) which reduced the oil burn considerably- you really need a oil catch can on them if you intend on keeping long term - the passenger side turbo ends up going if not

Robpado's picture

Date Joined: 18/01/18

Hey mate if your in perth

Mon, 2018-02-19 08:47

Hey mate if your in perth and its happens again your welcome to come and use my Scan guage to get the codes for free. Just shoot me a PM.