2010 Exmouth Comp Report

Well, this year saw the crowds swell for the Fishwrecked Invitational, 65 competitors from Kununurra to Bunbury joined us in Exmouth for a weekend of fishing and frevolity.  With 21 teams registered for the comp and many stories floating around the place of the trip up, some include, wheel bearings, running out of fuel, nearly being side swiped and feral backpackers things were going to get interesting!  Other notables include a rather large vessel in the fleet (the bling king) being towed in after getting mono prop wrapped in nasty conditions, one competitor having his boat key stolen and tackle bag, one team getting gastro on the best day weather wise we were going to have for quite some time and to top it off another team somehow managing to avoid D/D after drinking makers mark for the last few km's into town.

Unfortunately the comp got some pretty bad weather over the weekend, with the saturday effectively being blown out with 25 knot easterlies (a couple of crazies did get out there and into a few fish though)  The Sunday was forecast as much better and most of the fleet got amongst it (even though it wasn't special out there) and most of the prize categories were claimed, below are the winners:

FW Opening night - Till ($100)

Red Emperor - Ewan (61.5cm) $750 custom baitboard from Commodore Marine

Longest Spanish/Wahoo - Steve/Freofish4 (147cm) $150

Longest Spangled - Adam (70cm) Car Cooler/Warmer unit thanks to Just Dhu It

Longest Coral Trout - Unclaimed (Random prize draw winner - Rob/Deckie)

Longest Trevally - Dave/Gully (97cm) 10 Weezel Poppers thanks to Andos (3 handed out to crowd)

Longest Rankin - Dave/Gully (76cm) - As Dave donated the prize he gave it to second place - Potato cod print (Simo - 65cm)

Longest L/B - Kal ($100) 2.5m Shark

Longest Marlin - Brad (Team Mako) Custom Game Rod thanks to Mako Magic/Tackle Shack

Longest Queenfish - Unclaimed ($100) (Random prize draw winner - SamC (Cough cough - theres a story there!!)

U/16 Longest - Kye (Paul G) - 125cm Spaniard ($50)

Most Marlin/Sails - Brad ($250) - Bad luck C-Wirthy, always next year.

Catch Card lucky dip - Mako Magic ($100 bluewater voucher) Thanks to fisheries research

Best Overall Photo - Kal and his condom....($100)

Best Bling Award - Mako Magic (thanks to Decella)

Well, even with the weather not being special it was awesome to catch up with everyone again and boy did I have a SERIOUS hangover yesterday.  I'd like to thank everyone that managed to make the effort to come up and get out there amongst it.  I have a few ideas on how to continue the comps growth and will be making it a 2 day comp with an extra 1 day optional depending on the weather.  I will also be deciding when it will be held next year as even though we did have it as a vote last year, I don't believe the new moon with big spring tides to be the best for either bottom fishing or game fishing - but never the less I had a bloody good time (even if being flogged out there) and hopefully next year will be bigger, better and with some good conditions to go with!

Here's a couple of pics as a teaser, I will post more up soon.

Cheers,

Adam

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

brenz's picture

Date Joined: 15/06/06

that balooning effort is a

Wed, 2010-05-19 13:30

that balooning effort is a cracker

chrisp's picture

Date Joined: 24/05/08

Love it

Wed, 2010-05-19 15:41

Love the l/b game chair.That is a cracker!

Bones76's picture

Date Joined: 03/11/08

shark didn't fit in the

Wed, 2010-05-19 16:36

shark didn't fit in the bucket?

alfred's picture

Date Joined: 12/01/07

Longest Tuna - Pete D

Wed, 2010-05-19 16:54

Longest Tuna - Pete D

Ben Derecki's picture

Date Joined: 10/10/07

Awesome. Wish I could have

Wed, 2010-05-19 16:55

Awesome.

Wish I could have made it but May is always a bad month for me in my current job.  Will have to chuck a sickie next year to get up there.

Cracker shots too, love the sharking pics...

Brucesta's picture

Date Joined: 29/05/09

Cheers for a great comp

Wed, 2010-05-19 16:59

Cheers for a great comp Adam, we had a fun trip as much as we didn't bother the scorers it was through no lack of trying, time to find a dryer boat for next year.

Great to put some faces to names which was the best bit, i hope all those travelling make it back safe, we once again copped a suicide truckie and we where run off the road after he misjudged the power of his truck coming around to overtake, it got very hairy on the dirt with the boat swinging around.

2011 comp Karratha? i can dream....

Las Vegas - Rolling the dice and trying your luck. 1M+ Barra summer target. 100kg Black Marlin winter target

piston broke's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/08

Short Stroker

Wed, 2010-05-19 17:21

great mechanical advantage, love the setup. Pete

big john's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/06

Kal

Wed, 2010-05-19 18:22

Kallejuhah, that's a classic series of shark pics!

WA based manufacturer and supplier of premium leadhead jigs, fligs, bucktail jigs, 'bulletproof' soft plastic jig heads and XOS bullet jig heads.

Jigs available online in my web store!

just dhu it's picture

Date Joined: 14/05/09

great event

Wed, 2010-05-19 20:18

Good time was had by all and as bruce said it was good to catch up with the fellow site members and put faces to site tags, we will be looking at booking early for next year , I would also like the say well done to Adam and his wife for all the effort they went into organising this event as it doesnt just come together by itself so well done from all of us, also i think the rescue video of deccella and double strike should be posted to seee how members gladly set aside time to assist others . frank looks so happy to be helping out Matt blingster, hope to see all again next year 

Paul G's picture

Date Joined: 12/12/07

Exmouth 2010

Wed, 2010-05-19 20:39

Yes Adam great job. Thanks to yourself and your wife for hosting the after party and others that helped out on the night. Unfortunately some die hard fisherman like Jesse and Kye were shattered from pulling their rods so hard the two days before the BBQ....LOL.. Good to put faces to names and meet some new members.A big thanks to the boys off just dhu it for their help with bearings and axil problems I had. Also thanks to Mr Bling and the boys. Hey Matt give Aaron a shake to wake him up so he can read this....zzzzzzzz

Active Gyp-Rok solutions ,Residential  and commercial ceilings and walls

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

sounds like it was a hard

Wed, 2010-05-19 20:55

sounds like it was a hard weekend fishing. congrats to all those that gave it a bash despite the trying conditions and well done to those that took out a prize. hope to be there for next years, just hope its a bit later in the year with nicer weather

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together

DazSamFishing's picture

Date Joined: 19/08/09

sounds like a top comp

Wed, 2010-05-19 21:14

sounds like a top comp nonetheless. Love the LB game chair pic.

Webby's picture

Date Joined: 24/09/08

Cheers guys, I just want to

Thu, 2010-05-20 09:52

Cheers guys, I just want to thank some people. Thanks to adam for putting the event on and letting us loose at his place your a top bloke brew, Cheers to the just dhue it team for the up to date weather reports that always turned out wrong and hosting beers most nights. cheers to simmo and his crew for entertaining us with stories of their fishing antics. Thanks and sorry to the double strike team, thanks for drinking with us most days but sorry to mako's brother (dozzy) for us waking him up alot. Cheers to gully for the sausage from hell that had me spending a good part of the next on the dunny. Cheers to goach and the boys for letting us crash your taxi and thanks to bruce for for letting me fish with him.

I also want to give a special mention to tap out for using a franga as his balloon in the pic above. (what they were doing going fishing with condoms is a mystery)

Thanks guys I had a great time despite the weather. it was great meeting you all, I'll to my very best to be back next year.

I live with fear every day... sometimes she lets me go fishing.

Boozehag's picture

Date Joined: 27/08/07

Awesome Comp

Thu, 2010-05-20 11:28

Yerr once again thanks Ads and Renae for a great comp was good to catch up with fellow Fishwrecked members, was a shame that we dropped Goatchies 50kg Marlin would have been nice to take that rod of Brad ha ha, goes to show that its not allways the biggest boats that do well.
Once again awesome and thanks for a good weekend

Cheers Booz

Deckie's picture

Date Joined: 03/04/09

Thanks

Thu, 2010-05-20 15:44

My thanks go along with everyone to Adam & all concerned with the organisation of such an event, from what i have heard it will be bigger next year with more entrants. Great to meet so many members & have such a good time. The weather wasn't that kind but the social side of things well & truley made up for it.

I hope everyone gets home safe & trouble free wether you have a 16 hour drive or a 6.  It sounds like Brucesta & Webby had more action in his tupperware tub on the way home than he had out from tantas.  Well done guys it was great to meet ya & look forward to seeing ya again next year along with everyone else.   Cheers  Rob

Cheers & Stay safe

Andy Mac's picture

Date Joined: 03/02/06

Great comp

Thu, 2010-05-20 16:17

Thanks Ads and Renae for putting the effort in to organise everything. As has been said many times, great to put more real names and faces to the user names on here.

Cheers to those that helped out at Tantas when the wind was up and the tide out. It made handling a big heavy boat in those conditions a bit easier for an old man like me.

Highlight for me besides the big Spaniard Steve (Freofish04) caught was the sight of a big marlin with his bill up in the air snipping bits off the back of a richter gardie. The bloody thing just wouldn't hook up, instead it sat there and played with the tail until it snipped it off clean. Too busy waiting to strike instead of grabbing the camera.... you snooze you lose...

Looking forward to next year already.

Cheers

Andy Mac (Fishwrecked Reeltime Editor & Forum Moderator)

Youngest member of the Fishwrecked Old Farts Club

just dhu it's picture

Darwin award

Thu, 2010-05-20 17:58

Adam next year we may need a Darwin award section.

some of this years contenders from the lighthouse group.

Brad :strike 2  . quoted: all you have to do in exy is put a lure in the water to catch fish, brad dropped his Rapala over the side and hooked up instantly , after 100mts of line dissapeared he realised that the lure got wrapped around the prop.

AAron Strike 2 "  quoted  Iam only laying on the bottom of the boat to listen if whale sharks sing like hump back whales,   the snoring was me singing back to them .

Jesse   Relisa  : Hey everyone i just caught my PB  brown  bar cheek coral trout of the back beach,  ..  later under the lights it looks more like a brown rock cod .

Bruce star     : the night before the comp lets drill in some extra rod holders in my Polycraft tub and drilled through the outer skin OOPs , break out the soldering iron and start patching holes with molten plastic bits.

Kye   Relisa   What that 12 ft antenna doing on your roof with the lead plugged into your computer ,  lightning arrestor mate  !!  ohh when do you get lightning in Exxy .

Deckie    JDI :  hey i just saw a big flash next to my floating gardie, must be a Sail fish , 40 minutes later a 10 ft Manta ray was succesfully released, glasses next year  Rob.

Kal ,   lets go balloning of the beach for sharks, i will bring the condoms ??

Simo   :  i left Bundegi at 4.30 am and arrived at the murions 5 hrs later using his GPS plotter, but he almost etcho sketched his name on his Gps plotter looking at the trails

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

some classics there. spose

Thu, 2010-05-20 18:13

some classics there. spose it would have been even better in persom

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together

Webby's picture

Date Joined: 24/09/08

hahaha simo you guys made me

Thu, 2010-05-20 18:23

hahaha simo you guys made me laugh.

I live with fear every day... sometimes she lets me go fishing.

brenz's picture

Date Joined: 15/06/06

love the lure rund the prop

Thu, 2010-05-20 20:15

love the lure rund the prop funny as

Brucesta's picture

Date Joined: 29/05/09

Mike my soldering is holding

Thu, 2010-05-20 22:01

Mike my soldering is holding fine, i just had issues with water coming in from over the top filling my boat good thing plastic floats. Nice to meet you mate and a shame we didn't get to say seeya to you and Rob as well as Paul and the crew before you departed, cheers for chats and the hints, south passage was a bad idea.

permission has been granted for a new boat so a 6.2m Formosa Tomahawk Centre Cab  is in planning ready for next year!

Las Vegas - Rolling the dice and trying your luck. 1M+ Barra summer target. 100kg Black Marlin winter target

just dhu it's picture

left early

Fri, 2010-05-21 06:16

good to met you bruce / webb and yep sorry we got blown out on the last day and left early before you returned from another south passage onslaught , hopefully next year the weather will be on our side, this wont effect you in the new rig , sounds great

damo6230's picture

Date Joined: 07/06/08

great Exi FW comp

Thu, 2010-05-27 21:30

the weather was blowing hard but still got out....... and got some fish

was great to put so many faces to names and all were friendly approcable people which is a great credit to the site.

like the idea of the Darwin award, some classics there from Rob..ha ha

worth the return trip from Kununurra

ideas for a FW Barra Comp Cool

another thanks to Adam et tal, alot of work behind the scenes and thanks for the hospitality at your place for the comp results night.

Simo_'s picture

Date Joined: 13/11/06

Great Comp Adam, thanks for

Fri, 2010-05-28 17:59

Great Comp Adam, thanks for organising everything. Cheers Gully for the potato cod print, I will donate a prize for next years biggest Rankin.

Next year someone remind me not to have any Vics as deckies Surprised

Bring on April

mako magic's picture

Date Joined: 03/08/05

yes agree with all the above

Fri, 2010-05-28 20:28

yes agree with all the above comment, great comp, pity about the weather and this year was good to catch up with a few new faces.