Bluewater Metro Fishing Report 08/09/2017

Bluewater Tackle World
Friday 8th of September 2017

A week into spring and the action has been heating up. Fingers crossed, the wind will stay away for much of the coming week, giving us the chance to get amongst it.

Snapper continue to be a hot topic of discussion in stores with light winds providing good opportunity for anglers to target them. Five Fathom Bank continues to produce good results this time of year, with a steady burley flow and a strong current pushing through, causing havoc on the seafloor. With the demersal ban slowly approaching now is the time to make the most of any opportunity that presents itself. There have been plenty of demersals around the 40m mark off Mindarie and Ocean Reef with some massive dhuies being taken in the last week.

Good numbers of King George Whiting have been caught on the broken ground behind the 3 Mile. Black Magic KL circles in size 1/0 have been working very effectively as always. These hooks are extremely sharp and can handle bigger fish like baldies and dhuies that are common on the same ground. Use the best squid and occy possible and enhance your rigs with genuine B2 squid for best results. The better the quality of your bait, the more bites you will get.

On the freshwater front, it has been a ripper start for many and now that there is no longer a season closure in place you can do it all year round.

Not only did Tyler help by releasing some trout fingerlings at Drakes Brook Weir, but he manged to catch one as well.

Tyler's Dad, Steve also got into the fish

Bluefin tuna are being caught behind the reefs along the coast, with small profile 6m deep divers working very well.

Deep dropping has been productive from Jurien right down to the South Coast around Albany. Great catches of blue eye trevella and bass groper have come from Jurien, while the hapuka seem to be going off around Albany way. Plenty of good fishing in between as well.

The deep dropping has also been hot off Exmouth and Coral Bay as always, with sharks seeming to not be a problem in such depth as of late. This can be a great option for those sick of getting done by the taxman in the shallower water. You do however need to be prepared with the right gear. Big Bass Grouper have been caught in Exmouth up to 35kg, and large Ruby’s have also been hanging around.

Staff member Jimmy and a big ruby

Reports this week show an abundance of squid being caught land based around the Cockburn and Warnboro Sounds. Squid jigs with red foil have been slaying it, likely due to the diminished visibility from the previous run of bad weather. Solid coloured jigs throw out a great silhouette in poor visibility situations, and so if the jig case is lacking some red foiled jigs, purple is a great colour that is often overlooked. As the snapper start to slowly creep into the Sound to spawn, it’s not all that bad of an idea to have a drift bait out the back whilst targeting squid at the same time.

The upper reaches of the Swan have been producing good size bream of late with Morley customer Hung getting amongst the action. “Persistence is key, I had been fishing this snag for a good hour and nothing was happening. The sun had gone down and my hopes were dwindling. Then suddenly a slight disturbance in the water caught my eye just to the right-hand side of the snag. I managed to land my cast right in the hot spot, next thing I know, BAMB! Line started racing off the spool and landed this nice sized Bream going 39cm”.

Morley customer Hung with a very good bream