cape nat 17/01/10

yay a weekend off :)

glad the weather was getting better today so the decision was made to go catch a few more tuna and see if the bottom fish would play today .. and what a day it was :)

left the marina late (8am) as the weather was starting off a little crap but getting better as the day went on. we headed out the 30mile to get to nato reef straight up as my dad has never caught a tuna before so that was my main object for the day. when we got there the chop and swell was still up so the tuna where hard to find so i decided to have a few drifts for demersals.

things started off a little slow untill my dad got a nice k.g in 37m, so i made the call to drop the pick and was rewarded with 2 more big k.g's a huge fathead and a very solid baldy. after things slowed down i saw a pack of birds diving so i made the crew wind up to have some fun. i set the lures for a quick troll on 8kg gear and hooked up to 2 tuna in less than a 5 minutes . as we delt with these guys the rest of the school mad camp under the boat again so out cam the bream gear :) my dad got one on 8lb gear and a smilin jack - that was bloody funny as it took 10 minutes to land.

after getting a few tuna we made a run for the reef and bashed around for a while for nothing :(

i decided to sound around a little more in areas id never been to and found a really nice lump that screamed dhu's so the other 2 guys dropped down patternoster rigs while i goofed around with some new gear i wanted to try. within seconds they both hooked up to solid fish and up came a good dhu and a large queen snapper.. not to be out done i had got my "gear" ready and with a laugh for the crew dropped down a little zest jig on pe2 gear and within 3 lifts had some serious weight on my poor little rod ... and the rest is in the picture :)

my first ever jigged demersal ... woohoo :) .. got to thank ryan and honsu for the gear and advise (was landed on pe2/certate hyper 4000/eupro pe1.5-3 twincraft rod) 

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

top stuff. days like that

Sun, 2010-01-17 22:15

top stuff. days like that make it all worth while.do you care to show of the jig that did the dammage. nice size kg and lizzard too . gotta be happy with the end result

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together

Feral's picture

Date Joined: 01/11/06

hey Russ the jig was a zest

Sun, 2010-01-17 22:23

hey Russ the jig was a zest (120g i think) in a burnt orange colour .. you can just see it in the pic. its a good little alround lure ... ive now caught 4 tuna with it and 1 dhu ... but its missing a bit of paint now :(

hlokk's picture

Date Joined: 04/04/08

Excellent to see one on the

Sun, 2010-01-17 22:23

Excellent to see one on the jig. Not a bad first at all (still yet to happen across any big dhuies). Those zest jigs certainly get a few fish (probably my favourite jig). A great feed as well with the KG's and tuna too.

deepwater's picture

Date Joined: 09/05/07

cape nat

Sun, 2010-01-17 22:25

they are awsom Feral well done mate ,great fish and great dhu fish mate well done ,what depth where you in ?? and what bait did you use for the KGs ???

jeff

Seaquest's picture

Date Joined: 22/10/09

Some nice variety there

Mon, 2010-01-18 07:47

Some nice variety there mate. Congrats on the first demersal on jig, something I,m still working on. Have you caught many Baldys down here? Only the second one I have ever heard of been caught in the region. What lures are you using on the tuna.

Cheers

Brendan

Pete D's picture

Date Joined: 07/06/07

Top stuff Feral and congrats

Mon, 2010-01-18 08:25

Top stuff Feral and congrats on ya first jig caught dhu.

Looked like a great day on the water down south.

Cheers Pete

Bodie's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/07

well doe mate!!! Nice dhu on

Mon, 2010-01-18 08:27

well doe mate!!!
Nice dhu on jig too!!

Did better than us, all we could find was small fish

Landed about 5 or 6 small dhus and atleast 20 small pinkys.

Did get some nice black bums and a cracking flatty like yours too.

Im gonna have to tow the boat down your way sometime soon :)

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

shirt

Mon, 2010-01-18 11:43

Told ya the shirt would start paying dividends mate. :)  Top catch on the jig.

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

Ewan's picture

Date Joined: 15/05/06

fat dhu! what was inside?

Mon, 2010-01-18 12:50

fat dhu! what was inside? were the guts full or was it roe or just gas?