Exmouth August 2016 report

Been a bit slack on the reporting front.

The boys annual fishing trip took place in august and this year we chose to give steep point a miss and try exmouth.  I had never been before but a couple of the others had.

We camped at murchison river crossing both on the way up and the way back, and it was bitterly cold both nights.  Luckily we had a nice warm fire and i had a good supply of fine rum (for me anyway).

There was an amazing amount of whale activity!

And shark presence!

Most of the time the conditions were outstanding.  But we had a couple of windy days we pushed through and a couple we stayed on shore.

Overall our catches were good with a great selection of different species some we werent so sure about until we checked the recfish west app.

My best day fishing ever!  A bag out on goldband and a few other species (4 licences)

And i can tick this off the bucket list, a nice robinson sea bream.

And there is always a funny camper in the park!

All in all a very enjoyable trip.

Cheers

Fish! HARD!

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Thanks for sharing Randall,

Thu, 2016-09-15 19:56

Thanks for sharing Randall, some great pics there. I'm yet to nail a Goldband, but have done the Robbo and they cook up a treat.

Love the West!

Date Joined: 08/08/11

Amazing firm white fillets!

Thu, 2016-09-15 20:14

Amazing firm white fillets!

Fish! HARD!

Date Joined: 01/02/10

I rate robbos as my

Fri, 2016-09-16 07:47

I rate robbos as my favourites to eat. Over red emperor even.

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

The goldband cook up a treat

Thu, 2016-09-15 20:14

The goldband cook up a treat too!

Fish! HARD!

Date Joined: 17/06/10

That's a nice size

Thu, 2016-09-15 21:58

that's a nice size bity that paid you a visit, did it hang around for long or just dropped in to say hello and go, taking a few fish as it went.

He hung around for about

Fri, 2016-09-16 07:11

He hung around for about half an hour.  During which time i landed the robinson.  With some help from my deckies throughing mulies iver the other side of the boat and distractibg him.

Fish! HARD!

scano's picture

Date Joined: 31/05/07

Good stuff Randall

Fri, 2016-09-16 06:41

Looks as though you would have been fishing fairly deep if you were getting good numbers of gold band? 

The tax man is always a problem up at Exmouth nowadays. We have tried everything from locked drags on Stella's and torsas, and going like the clappers from the bottom to the top to try and get a fish past the Sharks. We have also tried loose drags, in the hope the fish will make a run for it from any nearby sharks when it is hooked. Overall, neither really mattered. If the Sharks are there, after donating a good fish, your best to move as quick as you can, no matter how good the school of fish on the sounder is.

glad you had a good supply of fire rum, it was my bday yesterday, and I'm going to treat myself to a bottle of ord river rum

105 m we were fishing for

Fri, 2016-09-16 07:02

105 m we were fishing for the gold band and fry pan bream.  The robinson was caught in about 65m.  And while the sharks are a pain theyre good entertainment when your deckie hooks up good only for the line to buzz half way up and the cursing that follows.

Fish! HARD!

The best story of the trip

Fri, 2016-09-16 07:52

The best story of the trip was the big gold band we caught with setting a hook!

We had finished our drift and were motoring back to the top of our pattern.  It was a honking sou' wester against the current so we were taking it slow.

We past our companion boat who were still fishing the same drift.

About 200 m past them i saw something on the surface.  Low and behold a really big goldband.  "Get the net!"

Spun around and netted it, bled it and into the kill tank.  It was the largest fish we landed that day.

My mate Alan, on the other boat was right pissed off.  He had got it almost to the surface without seeing any colour before losing it.

The bugger couldn't get back down and was just flapping around on the surface.

Fish! HARD!

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Ha ha finders keepers

Fri, 2016-09-16 08:04

Ha ha finders keepers

Love the West!