Inshore Thursday 16/4/09

We had a magic day here in C'von yesterday. We kicked off the morning by trolling around for half an hour or so with no result so anchored just off our infamous 1 mile jetty throwing surface lures. We had a number of very visual strikes by what were small macks, trevs and huge queenies but failed to boat any. We were without bait and eager to hook-up to a Mullaway so hit the squid grounds for 20 mins or so to try and catch some fresh squid. We ended up with 5 so we quickly motored back to the jetty and anchored just off once again. Down went an unweighted whole squid on a 8/0 circle hook with a 70lb leader. Within a couple of minutes and a few clicks of the ratchet I gently lifted the rod and set the hook on something that ran quickly around the anchor rope and 20m along the jetty before nailing me in the woodwork, this was on 24kg gear and a drag setting so tight even I struggled to pull line off it and not once did I look like stopping this thing! Anyway it went quiet for a while after that so we hit up the flats around the river mouth for the rest of the afternoon having a ball on a number of different species on surface lures. One instant I will remember for a while was coming across a sandbar and noticing a large school of dark shadows cruising through the shallows with the fish estimated between 2 and 5kg. My immediate thought was that they were Mullet as this was a common occurrence in our area but a cast right on top of them soon changed my mind. Almost a second after the lure had hit the water the "Mullet" turned and shouldered each other for my offering before being bitten off above the leader. A mate that was with me straight away threw his lure into the mix and without delay hooked up. While he was fighting his fish I watched as the fish that ate my lure was tangled up in my line, leader, lure and flapping around on the surface. I helped my mate land his fish which turned out to be a good Tailor of 2-3kg before searching for my tangled friend. No sign of the fish anywhere but found my lure bobbing on the surface, what luck! Well I re-rigged and we continued moving around and drifting along sandbars and drop-offs with more very visual swipes and strikes before heading home in the late arvo.

I hope you've enjoyed the read. Here are some pics.

Damo

Colin Hay's picture

Date Joined: 23/10/07

Looks like a magic day WODF

Fri, 2009-04-17 15:38

There must be some cracking fish under the jetty.
How big was the tailor?

Colin 1 Proud and co-founding member of the prestigious Colin's Club

Proud member of the Fishwrecked Old Farts

Make sure you have subscribed to:
http://fishwrecked-reeltime.com/

Moderator. Proud member of the Fishwrecked "Old Farts". Make sure your subscribed to Fishwrecked Reeltime http://fishwrecked-reeltime.com/

carnarvonite's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/07

Team work

Fri, 2009-04-17 17:02

We seem to go our different ways on the same day when the weather allows us,you shallow and me deep and both putting in our reports within a day of each other.
Top report from the jetty and river mouth attractions

LB's picture

Date Joined: 10/04/09

Time to head north

Fri, 2009-04-17 17:14

Now i rember what i miss about going to Carnarvon i think it must be time to load up and head north great reports guys.

You cant catch all the fish all the time (:

poddyfish's picture

Date Joined: 01/05/07

Skinnys

Fri, 2009-04-17 17:45

gotta love chasin them big skinnys on surface baits.... fish on drugs them things.... nice fish top report fellas.... seems them fish under the onemile dont like there picture taken huh??? better luck next time on that front look forward to the ident being revealed haha 

Cheers Poddy

Fear The Spear............!