Kendrew Island Report 1/7/07

The forecast looked good for today so we decided we'd head wide to see if we can get some sailfish and failing that, do a bit of bottom bouncing.

We were on the water by 7am and started trolling near Roley Rock not long before 8. We spent a few hours trolling without raising anything so we decided to fish some ground we'd seen during the troll.

Not long after the first drop Glenn was on. At first I thought it was something small as he started to gain line easily but then the fish hit the afterburners and it was all over after a screaming run. No idea what it was.

Not long after Glenns bust off I hooked something. It was quite heavy, but not fighting much so I called it for a trout. Soon after, a nice estuary cod came to the surface. I decided I was going to release it but this proved difficult without a release weight so we kept it as they taste rather nice.

I hooked and landed another Cod, which was smaller and released much better than the first. Meanwhile, Glenn had difficult staying connected to anything that showed interest in his bait. Glenn managed a small Blue-Lined emperor that was grabbed by a large estuary cod. He won the tug of war.

It wasn't long before the bit went dead so we decided to move. We threw the trolling lines out and headed towards the drop off between Kendrew and Roley Rock. On the way there nothing took interest in our gars. When we got there we started to drift, we had some good bites but no hookups. On about the third drift I hooked and landed a nice Chinaman. It was a little below average but even on my 50lb Jig gear he made me work hard in the 10m we were fishing in.

We anchored and berleyed for a bit without much luck (strong current didn't help). We finished the day off by running over the anchor chain with the outboard (ouch!). We sorted it out and decided it was time to go home.

Back at the ramp I spoke to some other boaties. Another crew managed a couple of small Macks. A few other guys didn't get much apart from a decent GT and the other guys I spoke to got nothing except for a cobia.

Been very quiet on the fishing front here lately. Hopefully things pick up soon.