Long Point Sunday 02/03/08

Southerlies were blowing Sunday so again decided Long Point was the go for a bit of shelter from the wind. Because it was a long weekend every man and his dog were there. Families with 4WDs on the beach, yachts moored in the bay, the whole beach was pretty packed.

Got there about 7pm and had to walk West up the beach for about a km to get a spot.

With the wind behind us, and a welcome abscence of weed, we thought it could be a good night. We were chucking out squid and bloodworm on single hooks while the sun was still up, on the off chance there were decent whiting around...we have caught yellowfin and King George from the beach there in the past.

Unfortunately it ended up being butterie after butterie, with a few trumpeter to mix things up.

As the sun was setting we got into a few small herring, a few went out on the surf rods as live bait or fillets. They hardly got touched all night unfortunately, but I did have a live trumpeter out that got taken by something. When I got the rig back in the livebait hook was gone and something had bitten clean through the leader.

Brendan was having a go baitcasting mulies and got a few small tailor, and one keeper of 32cm.

I decided to have a baitcast sesh after a bit, and again, a few undersize choppers were caught, a few more herring, and this hungry little tarwhine, caught on a set of gangs as big as him.

So not a great night at all, but something to do nonetheless.

MIKE

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

better than the tv

Tue, 2008-03-04 17:58

Better than sitting at home watching the TV, good work Mike.

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance