Mixed bag, Dampier, 12/8/2007

Woke up this morning and the weather was just as good, if not better than on Saturday so we had to take the boat out.

We headed out and stopped at one of the barges near Enderby Island to score some livies. It wasn't long before we had quite a few yellow tails in the bucket so we powered out to Kendrew.

First drop and Glenn was on. It wasn't long before a nice little Chinaman of around 50cm was on deck and into the ice slurry. No time for a photo, lines were back down to see if we could nail another one. It went quite so we pushed on.

At the next spot I nailed a beaut coral trout that was 60cm. Went quite again so pushed on further to a spot we have in about 40m. First drop Glenn nailed a nice Sweetlip Emperor, a first for us off Dampier. Next drop I hooked up to something that managed to pull quite a bit of string on the PE5 jig gear, felt sharky but turned out to be the mother of all Gold Spot Trevs.

While I was hooked up Glenn hooked up as well so we suspected another gold spot. After a good tussle it turned out to be an 11kilo Cobia. I missed the first gaff shot which he didn't like and made Glenn work pretty hard before I got the second shot in.

After the cobe we decided to do a troll towards Roley Rock to see if we could finish off with a Sailfish. Unfortunately it was a bit queit on the billie front but we noticed some fishy ground on the sounder so we stopped for one last bottom fish. As soon as my bait hit the bottom I got smashed by a decent fish. I was shocked to see a nice 55cm Red Emperor hit the surface, taken in just 27m of water.

Finished the day off filming some whales which was pretty spectacular... and got back to the ramp to find a HUMUNGOUS line up. Ended up waiting about 45 minutes

All in all, a great day with quite a mixed bag, 1x Chinaman, 1x Sweetlip Emperor, 1x Cobia, 1x Coral Trout, 1x Red Emperor.

SPESS's picture

Date Joined: 29/12/06

Nice day and nice fish

Mon, 2007-08-13 07:11

Nice day and nice fish Jay......craker of a day well done.

Keep it tight, reeeeeeel tight!

Andy Mac's picture

Date Joined: 03/02/06

Great report Jay!

Mon, 2007-08-13 10:41

Nice mixture there. Hopefully you didn't experience too much "Ramp Rage", its usually the only downer on a great day when that happens. Like you say, a six pack next time and prolem solved.

Cheers

Andy Mac

Cheers

Andy Mac (Fishwrecked Reeltime Editor & Forum Moderator)

Youngest member of the Fishwrecked Old Farts Club

sherbert's picture

Date Joined: 10/09/06

Looks like a great day

Mon, 2007-08-13 15:11

Like a mill pond, Good work jay
steve
Born to fish forced to work

Assassin landbase fishing club

original teenage's picture

Date Joined: 09/07/07

nice mixture...lucky to get

Mon, 2007-08-13 17:59

nice mixture...lucky to get so many varieties of fish...lol

the more u fish..the less stress u get....

Gully's picture

Date Joined: 04/10/05

Nice work mate looks like a

Wed, 2007-08-15 11:28

Nice work mate looks like a great day out - making me jealous

jay_burgess's picture

Date Joined: 18/08/05

best day we've had for a

Thu, 2007-08-16 09:15

best day we've had for a while... good fishing, good weather.

-----------------
Jay Burgess
jayburgess_14@hotmail.com