Nmea 2000

Anyone use this software through there electronics, is it worth doing??? Seems a much cheaper option than replacement gauges?

Stevo81's picture

Date Joined: 16/04/12

Its not software but industry

Tue, 2018-06-12 21:19

Its not software but industry accepted data transfer protocol. 

Depends what info you want to share.

I can control my Fusion Stereo- source, tracks and volume from my plotter, as well as monitor engine oil presure, trim, voltage etc if required. My GPS antenna shares location info with my plotter over the N2K network too, all plug & play. Networked plotters can share numerical data- GPS tracks, waypoints etc and VHF radios can also be added to the network.

I find the fuel managment the most usefull. Tell the plotter the size of your fuel tank and how much you've added when topping/ filling up and it does the rest. 

* Litres Remaining

* % Remaining

* Range

* Instantaneous fuel burn

* Economy (L/Nm) -esssential for planning offshore trips.

As long as your engine ouputs NMEA 2000 (normally 2006+) data it's pretty cheap to setup and money well spent. So yeah def worth it IMO.

••••••••  Electrical Contractor NOR  ••••••••

DhuieJ's picture

Date Joined: 20/05/09

Thanks Stevo, Yeah this is

Tue, 2018-06-12 21:45

Thanks Stevo, Yeah this is exactly what I'm chasing mate havnt had a fuel gauge working for a while now and trim gauge now stopped, did u set up yourself or get someone to sought? I'm south of the river if u have any suggestions who can help out

cheers Jay

Stevo81's picture

I installed myself, NMEA 2000

Wed, 2018-06-13 06:01

I installed myself, NMEA 2000 is pretty easy to set up. 

What outboard do you have?

DhuieJ's picture

Date Joined: 20/05/09

Have a 2009 Honda 200 with

Wed, 2018-06-13 07:32

Have a 2009 Honda 200 with Garmin echomap plotter

Stevo81's picture

Without doing any research on

Thu, 2018-06-14 20:04

Without doing any research on compatibility with your engine (maybe email them, or Honda your serial number to confirm) think you will need one of these from the engine too your NMEA 2000 network. I’ve bought from them before, very good.

https://www.navstore.com/oceanic-systems-honda-outboard-to-nmea2000-male-connector-adapter-3m-3852-3.html

And if you don’t already have a NMEA 2000 onboard, a network a starter kit. 

https://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/Garmin-NMEA2000-Starter-Kit.html

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Following this with interest

Thu, 2018-06-14 20:12

Following this with interest Stevo, so I guess this will work with my Suzuki? And lowrance HDS 9 gen?

Love the West!

DTrain's picture

Date Joined: 10/02/12

From my experience you need

Fri, 2018-06-15 10:24

From my experience you need at least:

- Engine harness adapter (there are different adaptors for different engine makes and models, nothing is standard)

- Power connector to hook up to 12V somewhere on your boat (should be connected with a fuse inline)

- Drop cable to go to your plotter

- At least 3 T-connectors (one for engine, one for power, one for the plotter)

- 2 terminators (one female and one male) these go on the far ends of the T-connectors.

Depending on the length of the engine harness adapter you might also need a backbone extension cable to move one of the T-connectors closer to the engine so you can reach from the engine to your dashboard. You can also get an inline terminator connector which is basically a T-connector with the male terminator built in. That would save you having to buy the T-connector and male terminator seperately.

Once you have the basic setup, you can add more devices to it by sticking in more T-connectors.