NMEA2000 set up

Anyone on here got good knowledge of setting up NMEA backbones?

Chasing someone to fall back to while setting mine up in a few months

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

Jackfrost80's picture

Date Joined: 07/05/12

I installed my own. You just

Sun, 2022-06-12 14:10

I installed my own. You just need the starter kit to plug into power and the components just slots into each other as you add things via the T-pieces. I also have mine hooked up to the DF90 via an interface to see fuel used, temp, water pressure, RPM etc.

Trust me when I say if I can do it, you'll be able to do it in your sleep.

Officially off the Pies bandwagon

JohnF's picture

Date Joined: 07/07/10

Yeah Rob, I have put in a

Sun, 2022-06-12 17:08

Yeah Rob, I have put in a few. Much easier than the old NMEA0183, just need to make sure it's powered and both ends have termination caps.

Give me a call if you get stuck. 

Boston Whaler 235 Conquest......getting the flogging it was built for.

scubafish's picture

Date Joined: 15/08/12

TRY

Sun, 2022-06-12 17:08

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nmea+2000+installation+

http://img.gg/BQ91Sys

Date Joined: 18/01/12

Thanks guys, the basics

Mon, 2022-06-13 06:27

Thanks guys, the basics looks easy, but connecting up fuel level sensors to the Simrad is one that is a bit of a head scratch.

The manual says to use a "Navico fuel level device connected to a suitable sensor".

Searching that up looks to be about $160 for a Navico NMEA converter per tank plus the sensor itself-could be $300 each tank.

There is available several options for multiple analogue-NMEA2000 converters, will these work with Simrad?

In theory I know they should, but we also know there are proprietary problems with various brands communication with each other.

Otherwise I'll go seperate gauges

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Jackfrost80's picture

Can't help you there as I

Mon, 2022-06-13 12:38

Can't help you there as I haven't hooked up a fuel tank level  sensor but I have hooked up an inline fuel flow sensor which I have now removed after installing the engine interface.

If you are looking to keep tabs on fuel levels out at the islands an option may be to install inline fuel flow sensors on each tank at approx $250 each. I found mine to be extremely accurate once calibrated to about 0.1L each refill but will be of little use if someone nicks my fuel after I filled it up. Mine hooked straight into the NMEA backbone but the engine interface did require a converter.

Date Joined: 18/01/12

Thanks, but 2 probs with

Mon, 2022-06-13 13:17

Thanks, but 2 probs with that besides the major one mentioned

• If you have more than one tank
  • If theres a leak

The Mercs I think have fuel burn built in I thnk but I want to monitor levels.

What type of converter did you use?
Ive found a much cheaper one ($100, may well be what you used for multiple inputs) or individual $25 each

Jackfrost80's picture

My bad, it was an adaptor

Mon, 2022-06-13 15:26

My bad, it was an adaptor cable not a converter. I had to get it for the Suzuki NMEA interface cable to hook it all up to my outboard under the cowling. Didn’t realise that at the time and it cost me extra https://www.bluebottlemarine.com/products/suzuki-outboard-engine-k8-adapter.html

Regarding the fuel flow sensor you can specify you have 2x fuel tanks (at least with my HDS7) so should be able to install two fuel flow sensors in the separate fuel lines as they come out of the tank and view them separately fuel used but yeah it only reads fuel out so still no good for a leak, stolen fuel etc.