Raymarine C120 problem

I have just bought a second hand boat fitted out with Raymarine gear - C120 display with 1kW transducer and radar. I had to buy a new card with charts, and thought I would upgrade the software at the same time. I backed up the old waypoints no problem, then shut down the plotter to insert the software upgrade card. The plotter wouldn't start up again, even when I put the original chart card back in, or used no card at all. 

When I hit the power button, it beeps like its about to turn on, but the screen stays black. Approx 3-5 seconds after the first beep to say its turning on, there is another beep and it dies altogether. 

I will check the voltage at the rear of the unit tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure that's not the issue. Any other suggestions of what could be going wrong? Anybody experienced a similar problem?

if I can't sort it out, I will need to take it for repair. Has anybody used a Marine Electronic Services in fremantle? Any reports, good or bad? Any other suggestions for who to see? 

Thanks jus for your help. 

Alex 

big blue's picture

Date Joined: 25/03/10

Sounds like there isn't

Wed, 2014-04-23 22:31

Sounds like there isn't enough battery power .... have C120W & C140W which does similar when the battery power is low

Peter is a good hand @ MME have used them on occasions 

Date Joined: 31/07/10

The sounder problem turned

Fri, 2014-05-09 23:20

The sounder problem turned out to be a problem with the upgrade. Apparently the Raymarines are sensitive to the brand of CF card used to upgrade them - it needs to be a good quality card like Sandisk. Once the unit was upgraded, the new charts worked perfectly. 

I had to see Peter at Marine Electronic Services to get it all sorted. Very happy with their service, and their prices are very fair. Highly recommended!