Sneaky Squid Session 22/6

Bit restless with the lack of cray diving opportunities left in the season and the boat was lying around at my folk's place, so I decided to cut out and have ago for some squid.

Launched at Johnston St in Mossie Park (free all day parking) and then headed out the head to Leighton Beach. Decided I didn't like the chop there and cut around to between South Mole and Challenge Harbor but no luck.

The weather was getting better, not worse, so I headed out to the channel near GI. A few drifts either side and I picked up 11 squid in a few hours. It wasn't really good enough weather to anchor  so I didn't try and berley for some fish and came home.

http://fishwrecked.com/node/23317 

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

nice feed , only prob is

Mon, 2009-06-22 21:46

nice feed , only prob is cleaning them , but im sure you can handle thatLaughing

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together

Date Joined: 01/01/70

feed!

Mon, 2009-06-22 21:53

A tasty feed Jamie, limited opportunitys with this weather so anytime on the water is good!

Date Joined: 21/02/08

I hope to get down to the

Tue, 2009-06-23 08:07

I hope to get down to the sound again sometime, GF's folks live down in Shoalwater so I can just launch at Pt Peron and pop under the causeway. Anyone know coords for the D9 barge? I might go and check it out sometime.

Cleaning is a bit of a chore if you don't have Tim's scaling bag, and I didn't. I just pulled the heads & guts off all of them and kept them for bait. I'll gave my folks about half of the tubes, and I'll clean mine today sometime .

Date Joined: 01/01/70

Cleaning squid!

Tue, 2009-06-23 15:49

My last trip to Exmouth recently has me doing things differently with cleaning squid!

That being, i love my squiding but hate the mess of cleaning. So, whilst i was up there i tried something different. No brain surgery stuff but found cleaning them whilst catching them was far better.

I catch a squid, net it, put my jig back out and if no followers/takers i'll quickly clean my squid. I rip the head off & wings for bait so in another bag. I cut the tube length ways and wash out in the water. As the squid is fresh it cleans easily, I then put the nice clean white flesh on ice.

The last trip i did & compared, i caught equal squid to my decky but had clean squid and a beer in my hand when i got home.......no clean-up. Yes takes an extra few seconds but the dreaded clean up takes alot longer than that!

I'm gonna stick to that way when catching squid to eat from now on!

Kasey L.'s picture

Date Joined: 02/03/06

Another way is just to

Tue, 2009-06-23 17:24

Another way is just to freeze the lot whole. Then clean it just as it defrosts.

Frozen squid is alot easier to handle - no slime and the guts tend to stay together. Simply make a long cut along the tube and with the back end of the knife scoop/shovel everything out and voila. I also like the lack of smell.

It also helps that squid freeze very well. Just another way to skin a cat I suppose

Andy Mac's picture

Date Joined: 03/02/06

Scaling Bag is good

Tue, 2009-06-23 17:53

Tim used it to great effect up at Exmouth during the comp week. It cleaned the squid really well. If I go squidding in the boat again thats how I will be cleaning them.

Cheers

Andy Mac (Fishwrecked Reeltime Editor & Forum Moderator)

Youngest member of the Fishwrecked Old Farts Club

Date Joined: 14/03/06

Scaling bag...!!!!

Wed, 2009-06-24 16:25

The scaling bag is brilliant....!

I just cut the heads off for future bait, and throw the bodies into the bag.

10 mins bouncing around in the wake..adjust speed so you get the bag on the nice little breaking white water..about 8 knots for me...

Minimal cleaning required ...even less if you slit the tubes and throw them in the bag for slabs.

Peter

Date Joined: 21/02/08

8kn huh? I can wash them on

Wed, 2009-06-24 16:51

8kn huh? I can wash them on the way back up the river then =0