Two Rocks - Jigs & Plastics 05/06/10

Chris (Chrisp) had made plans to take out a few clients for a fish & also invited me out in hope that we would get some quality fish on jigs & soft plastics.

Excuse my ignorance; however, the name of the Two Rocks based charter company escapes me.

Fortunately, the weather gods softened the conditions slightly & out trip wasn’t cancelled. The forecast indicated moderate easterlies with a considerable swell which would taper off throughout the day. The early morning conditions were comfortable, however, the conditions deteriorated later in the day & staying inside the boat almost became a challenge.

Our aim was to use a variety of jigs & soft plastics in search of some demersal fish. In particular, I was keen to catch my first Dhu given that Pearl Perch was a regular catch for me over east.

Chris & I also had relatively new outfits that needed to be run in.

First up, we decided to use soft plastics just as the sun was making an appearance through the clouds. Within 30 seconds, I was on. It was a solid fish & the 10lb line I was using had me worried. A few minutes later, Mr. Knobby hit the deck.

We persisted to use soft plastics for the first half hour & Chris landed a small pinky & Dhu bait.

The wind picked up significantly & holding ground with light artificials became a challenge. Next up, jigs hit the bottom.  Moments later, I landed my first Dhu. He wasn’t big, but Pearl Perch size in comparison. I was quite satisfied nonetheless to have landed my first on a jig. Chris also scored a baldy on jig.

Chris’ clients persevered with bait & landed some nice fish between them with the standout being a good size snapper.

Later in the morning, Chris decided to revert back to a large soft plastic & hooked up to something solid. Unfortunately, the fish threw the jig head. Chris inspected the artificial offering to find the plastic had been completely molested. Inherent signs of a Dhu grab.

At one stage, I caught Chris master baiting, however, it was a short lived exercise after landing a black ass.

Chris was having a spate of bad luck, however, this was about to change once the skipper yelled out to prepare for our last drift.

Another large plastic was rigged up & dropped to the bottom. A few minutes later, Chris had a hit & lowered the plastic down in hope for a good strike. Right on cue, Chris set the hook into something very solid. A good fight later, he landed an 11.5kg Dhu (a PB on soft plastic).

It was quite an enjoyable trip despite the conditions with Chris’ Dhu being the standout. Great company, good fish & a few beers.

Thankfully, we arrived at my joint & Sam had just finished baking a banana cake. Mmmm... good way to finish a cold day.

Daz

alfred's picture

Date Joined: 12/01/07

Top stuff guys!

Sat, 2010-06-05 20:11

Top stuff guys!

Date Joined: 04/12/09

Well done guys awesome

Sat, 2010-06-05 20:21

Well done guys awesome stufff. Dazsam thats a big hump and makes it an even sweeter catch on the 10lb. How deep were you guys? Drifting whilst jigging? I seem to only get descent hits when im anchored, i find it hard to get placcies down in the deeper waters too. What jig is the one you caught the dhue on

Forever learning with fishing

chrisp's picture

Date Joined: 24/05/08

Depth

Sun, 2010-06-06 16:25

Mostly in around 40 and up to 50mtre mark although daz's pink came from around 20meters.We were drifting on all counts using 40grm and 60gram heads when the drift became quick. The larger heads help get the larger shads down better that catch more current than flickbaits.Good thing is all you have to do is get them to the bottom let your drift work the plastic up and drop it back down and repeat.

Date Joined: 21/02/08

Some nice fish guys. Sorry

Sat, 2010-06-05 20:45

Some nice fish guys. Sorry to hear that Chrisp succumbed to bait though ;)

Brody's picture

Date Joined: 06/02/07

Good work guys. Knew you'd

Sat, 2010-06-05 20:54

Good work guys. Knew you'd get a Dhu Daz haha. Is that the lighten with Fanky tail?

allrounder's picture

Date Joined: 10/11/08

that is how

Sat, 2010-06-05 21:37

im fishing mine now too.After the north trip it has proved deadly.Laughing

So tell me have you got your info from years on the water or hours on the internet?

• was sponsored by Atomic Lures and Shimano but they dropped me.Now sponsored by Fog Dog(The best fish coating out there) and raider lures.

DazSamFishing's picture

Date Joined: 19/08/09

Sure is Brody. Thanks for

Sun, 2010-06-06 12:24

Sure is Brody. Thanks for you help! It certainly paid off!

Lucky Tim's picture

Date Joined: 28/11/07

nice work boys, gotta love

Sat, 2010-06-05 20:59

nice work boys, gotta love demersals on jigs and SP, especially snapper and dhuies like that.

PilbaraBrad's picture

Date Joined: 16/05/07

awesome stuff lads, some

Sat, 2010-06-05 21:20

awesome stuff lads, some nice fish there

Goodz's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/09

Awesome snapper there Daz

Sat, 2010-06-05 21:32

Awesome snapper there Daz well done!!! Good job gettin your first dhu on jig too! Chris's one is nice too. How do those jig heads go, are they the squidgy ones?

chrisp's picture

Date Joined: 24/05/08

Squidgy heads

Sun, 2010-06-06 16:22

Squidgy heads are all i really use when fishing offshore.Look so realistic if you match them to the right plastic.Only downfall is the price!Surprised

schecky's picture

Date Joined: 25/08/08

Did you give the new Tpower

Sun, 2010-06-06 19:14

Did you give the new Tpower and alexander a thrashing christine?

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

well done, sounds like it

Sat, 2010-06-05 21:44

well done, sounds like it was a fun day out. couple of great size fish there taken on plastic

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

niice

Sat, 2010-06-05 22:05

Nice work on the artificials fellas, seems the southern fish are really taking a liking to them.

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

schecky's picture

Date Joined: 25/08/08

Good fish guys!

Sun, 2010-06-06 10:13

Good fish guys!

Albee Mangles's picture

Date Joined: 20/05/08

Great fishing there guys

Sun, 2010-06-06 10:24

Good effort on the jigs and placcies, wel done. Good photo's too!!

damo6230's picture

Date Joined: 07/06/08

awesome fish there guys

Sun, 2010-06-06 11:00

another day full of quality fish and best of all on jigs and SP's....

well hope Chris bought the beer seeing he did use bait Tongue out

Paul G's picture

Date Joined: 12/12/07

Looks like a great day out

Sun, 2010-06-06 18:56

Looks like a great day out .Some good fish on sp .The snapper is a ripper ,I seen you guys getting off the boat at the end of the day .But was on a mission so coulden't stop .good to sea the venture is still getting some fish .

Active Gyp-Rok solutions ,Residential  and commercial ceilings and walls

soupster51's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/06

Nice

Mon, 2010-06-07 09:50

Quality fish. Don't see too many baldies on those jigs. Well done lads.

The best reason for doing what's right today is tomorrow.

Kasey L.'s picture

Date Joined: 02/03/06

Nice pinky Daz! Looks a

Tue, 2010-06-08 22:53

Nice pinky Daz!

Looks a little bit chilly...

Gully's picture

Date Joined: 04/10/05

Awesome catch there Daz and

Wed, 2010-06-09 11:04

Awesome catch there Daz and Chris,

Love the work on the artificials. Really reqarding when you get some fish on them especially of the calibre you are showing there

Andy Mac's picture

Date Joined: 03/02/06

Plastic Fantastic

Wed, 2010-06-09 14:43

Awesome captures guys. Well done.

That Pinky is a horse.

Cheers

Andy Mac (Fishwrecked Reeltime Editor & Forum Moderator)

Youngest member of the Fishwrecked Old Farts Club

Colin Hay's picture

Date Joined: 23/10/07

Some great fish there boys

Wed, 2010-06-09 15:26

That snapper is a cracker Daz.

Moderator. Proud member of the Fishwrecked "Old Farts". Make sure your subscribed to Fishwrecked Reeltime http://fishwrecked-reeltime.com/