Wednesday 26/04

With a week off work, had to get in a fishing sesh to calm the soul.

Wednesday was looking good and I t'd up my bro in law for an early morning start at my usual around hillarys.

With only 2 1/2 hours sleep we hit the water around 5am.

Burlied up the water and bang on sunrise an 83cm pink that nailed the unweighted mulie like a road train.

My bro in law continued with the belly burley while trying to stay positive.

He had a steaming run that broke him off on the anchor rope, called it for another good sized pinkie, but will never know.

We ended up with one snapper, one skippy and a good size cuttlefish.

The skippy and cuttlefish were cooked up that night and kept the tentacles for future bait.

Was a good few hour sesh but now thinking of the return to work on Monday...

Image Upload: 

Date Joined: 01/01/70

good work mate

Thu, 2017-04-27 22:03

at least you got onto a pink. it's only thursday man you shouldn't be thinking of work till you're at work on monday!!

Krusty's picture

Date Joined: 27/11/15

Good work indeed .... well

Fri, 2017-04-28 17:46

Good work indeed .... well done 

My fishing spots are so secret........... even the fish don't know where they are !!

Diggedy's picture

Date Joined: 08/01/17

Cheers guys, with the fishing

Fri, 2017-04-28 19:53

Cheers guys, with the fishing out of the way there was nothing left to look forward too haha

sunshine's picture

Date Joined: 03/03/09

Heaps of cuttlies out wide

Fri, 2017-04-28 20:17

And some really large ones amongst them, have tried keeping them for bait, have cut of fresh tenticles and used straight away and even took some to Jurien where I reckon just about any bait works but nada ....not even a touch.  They look tough as old boots but does anyone have a good recipe for them.

Beautiful snapper, hate those bust offs as you think you know but there is always that question?

Diggedy's picture

Interesting, I'll see how

Sat, 2017-04-29 14:01

Interesting, I'll see how they go next time I head out, but I'll be making sure I take my usual mulie/squid combo just in case!

Havent cooked up the tentacles before, but with the hood I find just salt and pepper works best.

sunshine's picture

Do you skin it somehow?

Sat, 2017-04-29 15:14

As it isn't like squid and seems much tougher.....I would have deliberately shook off six or seven and had several more let go half way up, they were over broken ground in 43-45 metres  

Diggedy's picture

This was actually my first

Sat, 2017-04-29 18:23

This was actually my first time prepping a cuttle, I think I got a lot of meat out, but not too sure, maybe someone has some tips?

I started by seperating the head from the body.

Once I had the body, I just dissected it to get the plate and guts out, trying to do it with one incision, starting from one side and working my way around. 

I tried scraping what looked like a film of membrane off the hood best I could with my knife.

I cut the hood into roughly same sort of size strips and that was it.

Any bits that felt tough I discarded, only keeping what felt like the best meat to keep.

Mrs lightly seasoned and cooked it, delicious, best part is she doesn't eat squid/cuttlefish so I had it all to myself lol 

sunshine's picture

They are such a pest I might keep one to try

Sat, 2017-04-29 18:46

but I won't use it as bait, must have tried it seven times for a TOTAL absence of touches ......seven times bitten completely shy  

Diggedy's picture

Wow, I'll see how I go, I'll

Sat, 2017-04-29 19:32

Wow, I'll see how I go, I'll have a rig with a mulie and one with the tentacles for a side by side comparison.

Give em a shot in the pan, if you like squid you'll like cuttle I reckon.