1976 Seeker Reef Raider - opinions

Hey all.  Looking at buying an older, locally built boat.  It's a Seeker  20' Reef Raider, re-engined with a carby 5 litre Mercruiser and an AlphaOne leg. Motor has tested okay for compression and has a service history.  Recommended by mechanic to replace exhaust manifolds/risers in the next 18 months (Cost around $2800)

Hull has had new stringers and floor in the last twelve months. Good overall condition and asking ~$14k.

Just seeing what people's experience is with a 45 year old Fibreglass Hull?  And yes, I'm a little scared of an older mercruiser v8 5.0 LX, albeit in good nick.  Boat will be used in geographe bay and west coast

With eyes wide open of course

Probably sent from the iThrone 

Image Upload: 

Date Joined: 21/03/19

Stern drive boats are

Sat, 2021-01-09 21:48

Stern drive boats are expensive to maintain. Old boats with newish stern drive motors, the only one worthy of consideration in my opinion are difficult to sell from my observation  and old boats with good old motors are extremely difficult to sell. If you need professional help to maintain it I am confident it will become a bottom less pit. make a mate out of someone else with a boat until you are in a position to buy a better boat.

Date Joined: 19/06/14

How deep are your pockets?

Sun, 2021-01-10 05:49

I've just spent 45k on refitting a 33 year old boat, more than the initial purchase price. You need to go into it with an open mind and cheque book, having said that I'm confident my boat will still be going strong in 20 years time. As for old stern drives if that kicks the bucket your going to be in a world of pain. Keep saving and keep looking for something with a four stroke outboard on the back. Easy to maintain and not too bad on the wallet when it comes to operating.

My wife understands why I clean my rods n reels in the shower....

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

Hmm

Sun, 2021-01-10 06:36

It would be a no for me, hull looks good but have always been warned away from older inboard.

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

Date Joined: 07/05/15

Thanks. Will keep saving and

Sun, 2021-01-10 15:44

Thanks. Will keep saving and stop dreaming 

Probably sent from the iThrone