1986 50HP Johnson Maintenance Questions

Hi guys, I have a few questions about servicing my outboard. 

• Are there any cheap ways to replace the seal on the cowling?
  • How much oil does a gear case roughly take?
  • Are there any marine shops in Perth which sell spare parts for older outboards?
  • How hot is the water supposed to be from the tell tale? Last time the water was cold-ish, this time was relatively warm (50-60deg?)
  • Not sure when the outboard was serviced last. What should I replace apart from new spark plugs, gear oil and maybe a new impeller?
  • I accidently went into shallow water and sucked up a fair bit of sand. Is it possible to backflush through the tell tale or remove it and clean it out? It was blocked until I cleaned it with a thin plastic tie but I think it may still have debris left in it. Could there be blockages elsewhere causing the water to be so warm?
  • I noticed water pissing out of the top of the gear case where it bolts on. Would it be fine to leave this until I replace the impeller?
  • My boat doesn't have an external fuel filter, would it be a good idea to fit one or would the internal one suffice?

Thanks in advance. 

Paul H's picture

Date Joined: 18/01/07

How much use does it get.

Fri, 2014-01-03 09:04

How much use does it get.
Impellors flex when spun if not used much they harden and stop flexing. An impellor in a motor with few hours will require replacing more than a motor being used often. Personally I'd replace it now anyway given you don't know when last serviced/replaced.

My telltale is warmish but at a guess I'd say less much less than 50-60 degrees, would want to investigate why this is so (tap pressure, seal on muffs etc, through to the motor itself - impellor/blockages).

internal fuel filters are generally only a bit of gauze and would be best also fitting a better one on the fuel line.

Youtube Channel  -  FishOnLine Productions

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbUVNa-ViyGm_FTDSv4Nqzg/videos

Date Joined: 22/09/13

Hi Paul, Yeah I'll have to

Fri, 2014-01-03 10:34

Hi Paul,

Yeah I'll have to replace it, bought the boat back in July and has only been used a couple of times. 

I'll try another pair of muffs and check out the impeller when I get a replacement. 

Are those inline fuel filters any good?

Also, around 5 mins after I sucked up a decent amount of sand through the motor, the tell tale stream started to slow down to drips and engine started cutting out (from overheating?). It cut out a few more times until I got the boat out of the water. Motor seems to idle fine now and stream is back to normal but could I have scortched the cylinders or done other damage? I might grab a compression gauge to check the compression. 

Thanks. 

Paul H's picture

A proper marine fuel filter

Fri, 2014-01-03 14:05

A proper marine fuel filter would be best but I have had just an inline (car) fuel filter on in the past and just replaced it every now and then. Can have flow issues with some of these (inline ones) so keep this in mind if any problems arise.

Cheers

Paul H's picture

start your motor and whilst

Fri, 2014-01-03 14:10

start your motor and whilst idling go to the back and pushed the muffs hard onto each side of the motor and see if your tell tale gets stronger, is so just play with them a bit to get a better seal (may just need to bend the muff arms a little to put a little more pressure on one side of the rubber) assuming you've sorted any blockage issue

Date Joined: 22/09/13

Checked compression and both

Fri, 2014-01-03 15:33

Checked compression and both cylinders are around 125 psi. Tell tale stream is strong just wasn't when I was on the water and it was blocked. Just noticed before that the water temp when the engine started running was cold and rapidly became warm (10 seconds). This is most likely the thermostat playing up right? Will check impeller once I can get a replacement.