200 series cruiser

So have bitten the bullet and bought a 200 seies deisel cruiser. Now need to set it up with bar work suspension and battery set up to run the fridge. Will be used primarily for towing the boat for trips awaybut like to have a cold beer waiting for me when I get back to the ramp. Would love to hear from members who have been through the process and provide info on what to stay away from and what they re running

pelagicyachts's picture

Date Joined: 23/02/11

Hi mate on my second 200

Fri, 2015-12-11 08:03

Hi mate
on my second 200 series, first one (an 07) despite being brilliant on fuel but was not so good on oil! - (yes went through all recalls)Perth to exxy towing 3 ton boat used 5 litres of oil! (and the oil is not cheap!!)
Anyway - I digress, my current 200s I have an ARB sahara bar, you really cant get any better in terms of looks and they are all about the same price. I installed a 3rd battery, it goes in by the fuel filter- which needs to be moved - only down side to this is to change the fuel filter you have to take out the third battery which is not that hard just a pain in the arse. Keep a spare fuel filter on you, the fuel systems on common rail diesels are very sensitive and as such the filters are really fine and clog up pretty quick, last trip to exxy in October I picked up some dodgy fuel somewhere and have had to change the filter twice since that trip....
I got west coast suspension to put in heavy duty springs on the front as the bulbar and winch had dragged the front down a bit and I just put airbags in the back for towing as I didn't want to affect the ride. Mine has kdss (unsure if they all do or don't?) but my last one didn't, and boy it makes a difference on a long trip
Mine idles around the city a lot and they get clogged up, have to give it a good right foot full every now and then to clean it out - Toyota assure me this is normal....great cars - enjoy!

lextt's picture

Date Joined: 08/03/12

200 series

Fri, 2015-12-11 08:28

Hey mate I have one as well, a great car, love mine.

Sing yourself to lcool forum and you will find all the info there is about 200.

And few thing to be careful of is the weight. The 200 has a very low GVM, which means you can only put 650kg into/onto it. So all bar work will the away from you 650kg. And cops know about low GVM so they do check the weight of them once you are out of major cities if you are towing.

Mate enjoy your new car.

Regards 

Gav475's picture

Date Joined: 16/11/11

gvm

Fri, 2015-12-11 08:34

thats a new one didnt know that.  I was leaning toward the arb with fyrlyt 5000 spotties. Maybe tough dog suspension upgrade. Had heard of the oil issue and tte fuel filter change out every service. Some blokes have removed both standard batteries and replaced with a 700 or 800 cranking battery with a good deep cycle second battery with a red arc to run the fridge. Seems to be alot of different info on what to run but the proof is always with blokes doing the same as im intending to really know what the good oil is.

lextt's picture

ARB only give you extra 150

Fri, 2015-12-11 10:40

ARB only give you extra 150 or 200kg.

Lovells or Dobinson do gvm that will give you extra 350kg. make sure you do a search on GVM upgrade.

As for the batteries, you can split them and upgrade to bigger batteries but you need a buster diode which is only about $50 and is comes in a shape of fuse. So all you need to do is replace one fuse with new buster diose fuse

lextt's picture

double post

Fri, 2015-12-11 13:21

Date Joined: 14/01/15

Fuel additive for better perfomance and consumption

Fri, 2015-12-11 11:46

Hey bud i got a 2009 LC200 as well and so do a few mates and family members and we all swear by them...my model didnt come out with the KDSS (kinectic suspension) but had mine beefed up and upgraded to old man emu shocks and springs and a 2"lift it was used to tow a caravan quite frequently in Derby. Also has electric brakes installed....i have also beefed up the calipers, discs and pads to heavy buty bendix and DBA slotted rotors...and i tell u what it pulls 3.3t up in a flash compared to the standard brakes which used to worry me at times.

The standard battery system isnt bad i just upgraded mine to a red arc but swapping the standard batteries to twin deep cycles is definitely a must if u want the fridge to run for a long time, a mate of my runs an engal for 24hrs plus on a deep cycle and hasnt had any dramas yet if u have alot of electrical extras then the 3rd battery would be a definite option.

one thing that i have spoken to with my mates is the fuel consumption and performance....family members are in the earth moving industry and all have heavy plant machines some work up north so they sometimes get so dodgy fuel that may contain water or fungus in the tanks and the additive that we all use is called ICT F10 it can be used in any fuel type and i use it in every tank...

this shit is unbelievable stuff and u have to try it out!!!

I actually get better fuel consumption then my mates without any engine chips i get roughly 900kms to a 138lt tank and that is city driving, the father-in-law also uses it to get water and fungus out of the tanks in the machines and onsite fuel trucks.... i put about 140mls in every tank and it is unbelievable stuff i used it once in an old car when i had some shit fuel.in a jerry can and the car was a mess from it...i put 2 tanks worth through and the car was back to normal after 

By far the best car i have ever owned and definitely a machine compared to the rest...motors are unbeatable as a stock motor even the boys at brunswick deisel told me i would be mad to pull the standard v8 to swap over for the 6.5lt Chev...pretty good advice considering they knocked back a $30k conversion so u gotta be pretty happy about that.

Enjoy ur beast bud and hope i have helped out with some info for ya

Date Joined: 01/02/10

I have a 2013 Altitude. Don't

Fri, 2015-12-11 12:22

I have a 2013 Altitude. Don't come with the kdss suspension.
From what I've been able to research kdss and liftkits don't always play well together. Lots of guys reporting they sit lower on one side and not getting suitable fix.

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Date Joined: 18/01/12

Ive got a 2010 200.Great car

Fri, 2015-12-11 16:04

Ive got a 2010 200.
Great car for towing and carting a big family, but dispointing in the following areas

1/ gearing-they struggle to get to 6th gear and lock up the torque converter until around 110kph

2/ Fuel consumption is great on highway and around town, but not towing.
Fit a scangauge to see that towing my 3 tonne cruisecraft on the highway flat road 100kph is minmum 19lph and up to 25+ into a headwind.

Doesnt worry me directly except in comparison to what others post on their Rangers/etc (theirs may be exaggeration, I dont know)

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

mullows's picture

Date Joined: 25/12/08

I'm fitting a lock up kit

Fri, 2015-12-11 18:34

I'm fitting a lock up kit for that very reason Rob. Love the car but gee it shits me that it wont hold 6th.

Cheers

Mullows

The Older I get the better I was :-)

be careful with the lockup

Fri, 2015-12-11 20:39

be careful with the lockup kit.
The lockup clutch is not much bigger than a DVD but when it packs up-$$$$$$$$

Only designed to carry so much power, and combined with some chips which try to override the torque limitation built in the ECU when you stomp it...
Towing-is much better in 5th and even 4 th both fuel and response wise

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

mullows's picture

Date Joined: 25/12/08

Will do mate. Going in

Wed, 2015-12-16 06:26

Will do mate. Going in tomorrow. Mainly getting it for the long runs to and from Perth where it rarely gets into 6th and stays there. 

Cheers

Mullows

The Older I get the better I was :-)

Niko's picture

Date Joined: 26/11/13

Just an fyi there is a trans

Sat, 2015-12-12 07:31

Just an fyi there is a trans ecu update for the high 6th gear engagement for early lc200 which moves the shift point down the 95ish for those who want it. Being said if your vehicle is loaded up constantly or heavily modified this can make it labour and not feel quite right and in some cases create a minor harmonic frequency vibration. Most dont notice it some do. All 2011 (from memory) onwards come with the latest calibration.

that was in well before mine

Sat, 2015-12-12 15:53

that was in well before mine was built-it doesnt change the mapping unless you move across to "S" and twice up within so many seconds.
But it also doesnt bring mine to anywhere near 95 in 6th and if it did it would be at way too low a ratio.

From memory (missus uses it normally) 6th locked up at 110 is only about 1600rpm.

Toyota certainly have had some strange ideas over the last decade that they offer no reasoning for, the ratios in the 200 being one, and the different wheel tracking on the 79 series being another

lextt's picture

Rob I have a 2015 3.2 manual

Mon, 2015-12-14 08:43

Rob I have a 2015 3.2 manual ranger as my work car and fuel consumption is not that great.

I tow a trailer for work at around 2.5T and car is using just over 19l per 100km with cruise control on at 100-5 kmph. That is consumption that I have calculated with fuel used per kilometres travelled. I do this every time I do out of town work trip.

But the in car average gauge is showing anywhere from 17 to 18l per 100km. and that is reset as soon as I hook up the trailer.

If i don’t reset average fuel usage gauge when I hook up trailer on the same trips I would get my average only to go up to 13.5l per 100km.

Even when Im not towing the average fuel gauge is out by 1.5l per 100km.

Stevo81's picture

Date Joined: 16/04/12

I got a 2012 and absolutely

Sat, 2015-12-12 13:08

I got a 2012 and absolutely love it! Pulls like a train.

In regards to battery upgrade I split the factory dual cranking setup....

Upgraded the passenger to a larger cranking battery and replaced the drivers side with a deep cycle purely for my ARB fridge. A Redarc BCDC25 charges the deep cycle via the alternator when engine is running and via a solar panel on my ARB roof rack when it's not. Vehicle lives in my driveway so it is not undercover but I have had this setup for 18months and it has run my fridge 24/7 from the day I installed it. 

I second the scan gauge recommendation especially if your towing decent loads. It's the only way to monitor your Transmission fluid temp and therefore know if your torque converter is locked. I only tow in 4th where TC is always locked, TFT's are down and fuel economy is at its best. 

There is so many mods available. Sign up LCOOL forum for heaps more info

••••••••  Electrical Contractor NOR  ••••••••

yep agree, 4th is pretty

Sat, 2015-12-12 15:55

yep agree, 4th is pretty good on anything other than flat road or with headwind.

Easy with scangauge to see the TFT shooting up when it doesnt lock up.

duges66's picture

Date Joined: 07/03/12

Dual battery setup

Tue, 2015-12-15 16:48

Not sure where you are at with your dual battery research but I recently did a fair amount of homework and settled on this setup which I'm doing myself Aussie company and if you ring the website number you will speak to the owner/maker of this product (Tim) who is a wealth of knowledge all things dual battery related.
http://www.traxide.com.au/

If you are thinking DC-DC charger - worth reading about a $50 diode to do the job a $500+ DC-DC charger does check this out guy again if you ring you will speak to the aussie owner/maker (Leigh)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221957297749?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have no personal affiliation with either of these 2 but came across them as extremely knowledgeable contributors on Toyota forums as I was researching which way to go for my dual battery/charger setup.

Huge bonus that I could ring and speak to the bloke(s) that make the product I'm buying & installing.

There's 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those that can't.

Date Joined: 30/12/09

I say deck it out as you

Tue, 2015-12-15 23:19

I say deck it out as you want it. Cause once the missus catches on how much it costs you will be screwed. When I brought mine the only requirement was the fridge/cooler I between the front seats. Luckily for they bought out the Alitude model which had the fridge otherwise another $20k would have been spent on he car. 

Get busy living, or get busy dying!

Date Joined: 01/02/10

And that fridge works

Wed, 2015-12-16 03:45

And that fridge works surprisingly well too. 

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Cruise Control's picture

Date Joined: 03/11/10

and that fridge is truly the

Wed, 2015-12-16 07:57

and that fridge is truly the only thing I miss about changing over my Sahara to a Jeep

Date Joined: 30/12/09

The fridge is better than

Wed, 2015-12-16 21:52

The fridge is better than sliced bread imo. Great for keeping a couple of beers nice and cold for when u reach your destination, and even better for keeping the rest cold for the journey there.

Get busy living, or get busy dying!

duncan61's picture

Date Joined: 21/11/14

nissan patrol

Thu, 2015-12-17 02:48

The F10 product mentioned before is unbelievably good for diesels.I ran a 98 nissan patrol ute naturaly aspirated and made my own fuel from the cooking oil at minilya and overlander for years.I would filter the used cooking oil and blend 50-50 with standard diesel.If I put 100ml of F10 to every 80 litres The engine ran better than using standard diesel.used to change the fuel filter with every oil change at 5000km.Not sure I saved a lot of money but the motor idled better and quieter which helped a lot when I was culling kangeroos and in fairly remote situations at night reliability was important.Plus everyone used to comment on how my car smelt like fish and chips when I was back in Carnarvon.Feral cats and foxes used to come towards me if the wind was behind me.Duncan

just do it.