2002 Hyundai Accent Clutch

Hi all,

Fairly certain my clutch is dying. It's a 2002 Hyundai Accent with 130,000 on the clock. I only use it to get to the train station and back (about 8km a day) and the other half has the nice car for her and the bubs.

Thinking a new clutch is probabaly cheaper than a new piece of crap and atleast I know the history of this one, other half bought it 5 years ago as her first car. The engine and gearbox still seem fine.

Just wondering what people think would be a reasonable ballpark figure to get it replaced?

Has anyone replaced one on an accent before? Contemplating having a crack myself, I've worked on older cars before but that was easier than these side mounted motors

Any reccomendations of people SOR would be appreciated.

Cheers

scano's picture

Date Joined: 31/05/07

Estimate

Mon, 2012-11-19 14:29

Going off past mechanical experience I would think it would cos somewhere in the vicinity of $750 - $800 for parts and labour to replace a full clutch kit on it.

tim-o's picture

Date Joined: 24/05/11

Get it checked out first, (by

Mon, 2012-11-19 14:55

Get it checked out first, (by a mechanic with half a brain, if you can find one) we had an excel booked in for a clutch last week (slipping), first thing I do is check the master cyl rod isnt over adjusted, was fine then checked slave cyl, should be able to push it in, wouldnt, released the slave cyl bleeder and fluid shot out (fork came back) clutch was fine, issue was master cyl, seal swollen blocking the return hole or something. We had given the customer a quote of 500 odd bucks to supply and fit the clutch.

I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.

Craggles's picture

Date Joined: 19/05/07

Pretty sure, it might not be

Mon, 2012-11-19 15:08

Pretty sure, it might not be the clutch itself but it's making a terrible noise when I put the clutch in so I reckon the pressure plate?

tim-o's picture

If its noisy on immediate

Mon, 2012-11-19 15:42

If its noisy on immediate pedal application then prob a thrust bearing, if its noisy with the pedal depressed can also be spiggot bush/bearing, either way gearbox out, and much easier to do on a 2 poster hoist

I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.

Craggles's picture

Date Joined: 19/05/07

Ah thats the name of it, yer

Mon, 2012-11-19 15:57

Ah thats the name of it, yer the noise is on immediate application, while it's open I might as well replace the whole clutch kit.

tim-o's picture

Its likely the pressure plate

Mon, 2012-11-19 17:44

Its likely the pressure plate fingers will be worn anyhow if the trust bearing is shot, yep, do the lot while youre there. But also check the hydraulics for leaks and check the slave cyl piston can be pushed in which indicates the master cyl is adjusted right