2007 Evinrude gearbox

Im pretty sure my gearbox shit itself today and as I have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever, I'm hoping someone a bit more mechanically inclined might be able to help me out with what the problem may be. All I can come up with is it's rooted.

Gearbox has been clicking for a while when engaging drive but today it went full retard -grinding hard and wouldn't engage until almost full throttle. Thought I would be able to see the day out but after a few more times of stop starting and struggling to engage drive, I started to smell burning oil so packed up shop and came home. Side note: doesn't grind while engaging reverse.

Im hoping someone might be able to tell me by the above if I require a full gearbox rebuild or if it seems as though it may just be bearings or gears. Any help appreciated. 

opsrey's picture

Date Joined: 05/10/07

Strip down will tell the story.

Sat, 2017-01-28 18:20

heck there must have been some noise while waiting until full throttle for forward engagement .

Date Joined: 13/11/11

Yep sure was - sounded like

Sat, 2017-01-28 18:34

Yep sure was - sounded like it was gonna throw its guts up. I probably felt about the same listening to it.

Date Joined: 09/03/13

I'm certainly no gearbox guru

Sat, 2017-01-28 18:25

prob first test is to undo the (just crack and let seep out) the gear oil drain plug will be an allen key on Evinrude....very slightly and look at a couple of oil drops to see if it is a "oil" colour or "cream" consistency. this will tell you if there has been water ingress

Date Joined: 13/11/11

What will water in the oil

Sat, 2017-01-28 18:38

What will water in the oil mean in regards to the gearbox? Apart from the obvious expletives and rooted seals. 

Date Joined: 15/01/10

Gears

Sat, 2017-01-28 19:00

sounds like the teeth on the gear is kaput. I would think full rebuild.

null

Date Joined: 18/01/12

not the teeth, the dogs that

Sat, 2017-01-28 20:23

not the teeth, the dogs that engage.
These gearboxes are a constant mesh type, all gears are permanently engaged and a dog clutch locks either of the 2 to engage drive.

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

bouttime's picture

Date Joined: 27/07/06

I had similar problem with

Sat, 2017-01-28 19:28

I had similar problem with my 90 etec 05 model ended up just needing to be realigned on the shaft. Could be a simple fix like that or gearbox is stuffed. Easy to find second hand and any good etec dealers should be able to tell you before stripping. Try chivers in Bibra Lake they know Etecs.