2019 MAAC Bluewater Classic

I'm all set for this year's event, but boy according to Seabreeze it might be a bit boisterous on Saturday :-)

Anyone else going?

scano's picture

Date Joined: 31/05/07

Haven’t seen anything announced as yet

Thu, 2019-02-14 20:38

But wouldn’t be surprised if the comp was changed to sunday.

Tried calling the Maac late this afternoon to check but no answer at the time.

Date Joined: 20/02/11

Not this year. I noticed the

Fri, 2019-02-15 07:09

Not this year. I noticed the board walk is gone from Ocean Reef. In past years, we have tied up and had breaky there.

Mulie

Mick C's picture

Date Joined: 26/12/13

BoM Strong Wind Warning for Saturday

Fri, 2019-02-15 10:33

The BoM Perth Local Waters Forecast was updated at 10.04am today, which included a Strong Wind Warning for tomorrow.

"South to southeasterly 15 to 20 knots easing to 10 to 15 knots in the morning, and then increasing south to southwesterly 15 to 25 knots in the afternoon. Winds reaching up to 30 knots in the evening."

If this warning is still in place tomorrow morning then the MAAC will have to postpone, as it is deemed unsafe to hold the competion over a current BoM warning period.   

Based on the current forecast, a Strong Wind Warning for Sunday seems unlikely (however as we all know things change) so it is probably likely that the reserve day would be used.

This is of course all subject to the MAAC Angling and Sports Committee determination, which I'm sure will be communicated to all participants when the decision is made. 

Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it - LH.

JohnF's picture

Date Joined: 07/07/10

MAAC has indicated to check

Fri, 2019-02-15 13:15

MAAC has indicated to check if there is still a strong wind warning at 5 am tomorrow......hmmm.....surely they could make a call this arvo and just postpone till sunday so peole can plan.............on this basis we are out for tomorrow regardless of update. I am not waking up at 4.30, getting the boat ready and then at 5 am having to pull the pin if the SWW is still in place. 

Mick, I would suggest you discuss this with the MAAC committee as a change for next year. If the 10 am Friday forecast is for SWW, then the comp is delayed tikll trhe next day, same goes for next day.  

Boston Whaler 235 Conquest......getting the flogging it was built for.

Date Joined: 24/11/09

Bluewater Classic

Fri, 2019-02-15 15:19

I’m registered to fish the Bluewater and rang the MAAC and was told to listen to Karl Langdon tomorrow morning on 6PR and he will advise if the comp is to go ahead or check with BOM and if a strongwind warning issued the comp will be postponed until the next day.A strong wind warning on the second day will result in cancellation of the the comp and prizes/money forfeited, although there will be some luck prize draws for the competitors,  best chance for me to win a prize

Bluewater Classic

Fri, 2019-02-15 15:20

Cheers I’m registered to fish the Bluewater and rang the MAAC and was told to listen to Karl Langdon tomorrow morning on 6PR and he will advise if the comp is to go ahead or check with BOM and if a strongwind warning issued the comp will be postponed until the next day.A strong wind warning on the second day will result in cancellation of the the comp and prizes/money forfeited, although there will be some luck prize draws for the competitors,  best chance for me to win a prize

Bluewater Classic

Fri, 2019-02-15 15:21

Cheers I’m registered to fish the Bluewater and rang the MAAC and was told to listen to Karl Langdon tomorrow morning on 6PR and he will advise if the comp is to go ahead or check with BOM and if a strongwind warning issued the comp will be postponed until the next day.A strong wind warning on the second day will result in cancellation of the the comp and prizes/money forfeited, although there will be some lucky prize draws for the competitors,  best chance for me to win a prize

Bluewater Classic

Fri, 2019-02-15 15:22

I’m registered to fish the Bluewater and rang the MAAC and was told to listen to Karl Langdon tomorrow morning on 6PR and he will advise if the comp is to go ahead or check with BOM and if a strongwind warning issued the comp will be postponed until the next day.A strong wind warning on the second day will result in cancellation of the the comp and prizes/money forfeited, although there will be some lucky prize draws for the competitors,  best chance for me to win a prize

Bluewater Classic

Fri, 2019-02-15 15:22

I’m registered to fish the Bluewater and rang the MAAC and was told to listen to Karl Langdon tomorrow morning on 6PR and he will advise if the comp is to go ahead or check with BOM and if a strongwind warning issued the comp will be postponed until the next day.A strong wind warning on the second day will result in cancellation of the the comp and prizes/money forfeited, although there will be some lucky prize draws for the competitors,  best chance for me to win a prize.....

Deckie's picture

Date Joined: 03/04/09

Got it.

Fri, 2019-02-15 16:59

Got it Ledge, your registered in the comp.  Haha.

I would still seriously concider heading out in it regardless of what Karl says.

BOM is not usually that far off, and if MAAC leaves it until 5;00am in the morning to call it off then that is a little stupid.

Decide tonight then postpone it till sunday, at least it looks a little more fishable without bordering on hazardous.  IMO.Good luck to all those going out in it & be safe.

Cheers & Stay safe

scano's picture

Date Joined: 31/05/07

Postponed

Sat, 2019-02-16 05:25

Not on till tomorrow anyway.

According to old mate Carl Langdon, unlikely to go ahead tomorrow also.  

Yep, it's howling out there.

Sat, 2019-02-16 07:30

Yep, it's howling out there. Not.

Mulie

Date Joined: 06/09/09

Good decision by Maac

Sat, 2019-02-16 07:55

Good decision by Maac gusting to 26knts at rotto 

Date Joined: 07/05/12

I've driven past the MAAC

Sat, 2019-02-16 08:09

I've driven past the MAAC hundreds of times and always wondered what it's about as it doesn't appear to have any facilities like the CPBA. Is it basically just a bar/restaurant on the ocean for like minded anglers to swap notes?

Honourary Pies member for a while

More for the older crowd, I

Sat, 2019-02-16 11:16

More for the older crowd, I used to go a fair bit but got tired of the huffs when you bring your kids in for a meal. ORSSC heaps better.

Mulie

JohnF's picture

Date Joined: 07/07/10

Try Hillary's yaught club if

Sat, 2019-02-16 12:42

Try Hillary's yaught club if you want old and stuffy....they make the old farts at the MAAC look like teenage rappers... 

Boston Whaler 235 Conquest......getting the flogging it was built for.

Date Joined: 06/09/09

Hahaha yep def agree with

Sat, 2019-02-16 13:41

Hahaha yep def agree with Mulie and Johnf

So is it the

Sat, 2019-02-16 22:08

So is it the equivalent of a bowling club clubhouse without actually having a bowling green?

uncle's picture

Date Joined: 10/02/07

Geez i fit right in!

Sat, 2019-02-16 16:08

So where do the younger gurus go?

all aggressive fish love bigjohnsjigs

Ocean Reef Sea Sports Club.

Sat, 2019-02-16 16:32

Ocean Reef Sea Sports Club. Playground for the kids, monthlt comps. $6 from my house in an Uber. 

Mulie

Date Joined: 01/02/10

Mate had his Export themed

Sat, 2019-02-16 18:23

Mate had his Export themed 30’th there last week. They were quite welcoming.  

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Could have launching

Sat, 2019-02-16 18:32

Could have launching facilities with the marina upgrade too I hear which is the day I'll be joining

Doc's picture

Date Joined: 29/05/16

Umm, pardon my ignorance

Sat, 2019-02-16 16:14

Umm, pardon my ignorance guys, but what is the maac? 

Date Joined: 03/01/12

Marmion

Sat, 2019-02-16 16:36

I could be wrong Doc (have been many times in the past) I believe it is Marmion amateur angling club,

I sure womeone will let us know if this is incorrect.

Skull

Scotte's picture

Date Joined: 07/12/06

Marmion angling and aquatic

Sat, 2019-02-16 16:55

Marmion angling and aquatic club,

just dhu it's picture

Date Joined: 14/05/09

Date change

Sat, 2019-02-16 20:56

i don't remember the last classic that had good conditions ,   Why don't all the people involved in the function vote on having the blue water classic in late march or April.   IMO

Belly Fish's picture

Date Joined: 09/03/12

Congratulations to MAAC

Mon, 2019-02-18 07:57

Awesome run event once again and the decision to hold over to Sunday was a vote of common sense. Whereas Saturday was over 20 knot southerlies from 4am at Rotto, Sunday was pretty good out wide until around 2pm. We fished 80 to 100 metres all day in good conditions.