2200kg Trailer Legality (Non Brakeaway)

Rather than clog up the other thread, I wanted to gauge people thoughts on a 2200kg ATM (1999kg GTM) trailer that I have ordered through easytow trailers in Victoria who have been building boat trailers for over 50 years. It's not something that may other boat trailer manufactures seem to do...

It's to go with a new Reefrunner that despite many dealers who are happy to sell it on a 2000kg trailer, is borderline overweight once you've got a full tank of fuel, a bag of ice and some gear inside.

Easytow offer a 2200kg rated trailer by providing hydraulic disks on both axles (a requirement if going over 1999kg ATM) but with a mechanical actuator/hitch. By providing an ATM (freestanding weight) of 2200kg but a GTM (hooked to car weight of trailer) of 1999kg there is no need for breakaway brakes reducing the overall cost by about $1800 vs a few hundred for the extra disk setup.

I am comfortable that the weight will be within the 2200kg limit, so providing that I have 2200kg ATM on the compliance plate and WA registration papers, 1999kg GTM on both as well, plus the trailer setup so at least 10% of the weight is on the towball, I should be perfectly legal, shouldn't I? (200 series rated to 350kg on the ball).

Holth expressed some concerns on the other thread and I wanted to gauge other peoples thoughts as to A, the legality and B, if there is any perceived safety risk?

Having spend a far amount of time in the USA, I believe out trailer standards are extremely high and capable of far greater loads that they are officially rated for, not that I would ever put myself, others, vehicles or insurance at risk by knowingly overloading a trailer.

roddo's picture

Date Joined: 16/10/09

I would think the

Fri, 2017-02-24 14:04

I would think the registeratiin papers must reflect the 2200kg that you are going to tow. The towball weight of a trailer has nothing to do with the amount of weight u can put on the car they are 2 different figures. If the trailer is registered to 1999kgs then that is the max regardless if its attached to the car or not you can not go iver this.

Darren253's picture

Date Joined: 23/07/16

The down force on the trailer

Fri, 2017-02-24 14:31

The down force on the trailer wheels can not exceed 1999kg when connected to the car (GTM)
The down force on the trailer wheels and jockey wheel when disconnected (freestanding) can not exceed 2200kg (ATM)

The trailer is rated to carry 2200kg load providing no more than 1999kg is exerted through the trailer axles/wheels. (I'm told)

Date Joined: 18/01/12

I do believe there is such

Fri, 2017-02-24 14:57

I do believe there is such an anomoly in the ADR's, almost like an oversight.

Of course the real problem is going to be that I imagine Easytow wont be registering the trailer in WA, you will?

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

Darren253's picture

I'm buying it through

Fri, 2017-02-24 15:05

I'm buying it through Mansfield Marine who are taking care of the registration, they are the agent for easytow in WA.

z00m's picture

Date Joined: 10/05/14

Interesting

Fri, 2017-02-24 15:12

The regulations are exactly as you say. ATM is one thing but GTM is what the regulaton for brakes applies to. So who knows? Better to write to DOT (you can email via their website) and get it confirmed.

•  Trailers having only a single axle and a GTM not exceeding 750kg do not require brakes.
  • Trailers of GTM over 750kg must have brakes.
  • Trailers of GTM over 750kg and not exceeding 2000kg must have braking on the wheels of at least one axle.
  • Trailers of GTM over 2000kg must have braking on all wheels. •
  • Over-ride brakes may be used on trailers of GTM up to and including 2000kg. •
  • Trailers of GTM over 2000kg must have brakes operated from the driver’s seated position.
  • Over-ride brakes are not permitted.
  • These trailers must have a breakaway system by which the brakes are automatically applied if the trailer becomes detached from the towing vehicle.

www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/licensing/LBU_VS_IB_107.pdf

Darren253's picture

After 35 minutes on hold, DOT

Fri, 2017-02-24 16:11

After 35 minutes on hold, DOT have confirmed that it would be legal and issued with an ATM of 2200kg on WA registration. ATM is the main consideration factor for WA trailer registration/legality. They will send me an email next week.
The only legal variables from the DOT's perspective are:

Exceeding the total mass of 2200kg (ATM)
Exceeding the towing capacity of the tow vehicle
Exceeding the towing vehicle GVM/GCM
Exceeding the towing vehicle ball load rating

Date Joined: 27/01/10

Irrespective of legalities I

Fri, 2017-02-24 16:32

Irrespective of legalities I would spend the extra $1K and put an electric/hydraulic actuator on it. Nothing worse than a 2T wack in the back from the mechanical system. You already have the disks, and can add the breakaway kit later if needed.

I have Hydrastar units on our boat trailer and camper trailer, really comforting knowing that the lump behind you is capable of stopping as quick as the tow vehicle.

Darren253's picture

Agreed. It should be an easy

Fri, 2017-02-24 19:24

Agreed. It should be an easy mod to up the whole thing to 2300kg of 2500kg depending on tyres if I find I need to... I've already got a controller in the car.

Date Joined: 27/01/10

Not really expensive if your

Fri, 2017-02-24 22:54

Not really expensive if your prepared/able to do the work yourself. My boat trailer hydrastar was factory fitted but got the one for my camper from here:

www.trailerparts4u.com/hydrastar%201200%20psi

Date Joined: 02/11/09

Your buying a great boat and

Fri, 2017-02-24 16:34

Your buying a great boat and your willing to skimp on the trailer to save a couple of bucks? Do yourself a favor and get something rated to atleast 2.5t. Hull only is 1t, add 250kgs motor, 500kgs for the trailer, and add fuel your sitting on 2t just there. By the time you add things like batterys, anchors etc you'll easily be sitting on 2.2t. Thats before you start to load eskys and fishing gear. You definitely dont want to be skimp on the trailer.

Date Joined: 28/07/11

You cant pin any

Fri, 2017-02-24 18:53

You cant pin any responsiblilty on Mansfield Marine. They are providing you a trailer that can carry X weight, its then on you if you carry a greater load than that, even if it is the trailer they give you with the boat. Trailers are licenced without any care of what goes on them, it is you the owner that chooses what goes on it.

Darren253's picture

None at all... My comment

Fri, 2017-02-24 19:16

None at all... My comment regarding Mansfield was directed to who was taking it over the pits and getting inspected. My only comeback on Mansfield would be providing a 2200kg legal/compliant ATM trailer in WA. Providing DOT are happy to issue rego papers to that effect (which they are) then it's happy days and an extra 200kg on 70% of the reef runners out their.

I also have the option of easily adding the electro/hydraulic actuator and breakaway at a later date (or sooner if needed) if I want to up the capacity from 2200kg to 2500kg. Axles and springs are within spec to do so, the only think I would need to double check would be the tyre load ratings. 

Darren253's picture

To clarify, Mansfield have

Fri, 2017-02-24 19:34

To clarify, Mansfield have been fantastic throughout the entire process, but this trailer is new to them too. The first one is coming next week and mine will be the second into WA.

Date Joined: 18/01/12

Cant see any problem with

Fri, 2017-02-24 19:25

Cant see any problem with it, as per the cut and paste above.
I had noticed it before myself, and like you say, can just add a EOH unit if need be.

Before you buy a Hydra star though, have a look at the Brake Commander, thats what Id fit next time...

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

Date Joined: 09/10/06

Hey Darren , lm glad you

Fri, 2017-02-24 20:04

Hey Darren , lm glad you took the time to look into it. I work in the trailer industry and have spoken with my boss regarding this in the past. Hes full bottle on this as we regularly license trailers and do alot of ATM upgrades. Hes heard of it but as he says it all comes down to the interpretation.

The link zoom put up and what DOT have told you shows the different interpretations. 

Not worth the hassel. Just put EOH brakes on and get a 2.5/3T rating

Date Joined: 23/04/14

Really?

Fri, 2017-02-24 21:24

So you've found a regulatory loophole that allows you to tow your boat with a trailer that has a marginal weight capacity and the lowest spec brakes you can get away with?

And this is going to save you maybe $1500 out of a package that costs what, $80K?

Darren253's picture

Feeling the judgement...

Fri, 2017-02-24 22:20

Not at all... this isn't a home made trailer legal loophole that I have created.

I've just ordered a product from a premium manufacturer that has been offered with a 10% increased capacity (by providing double the braking power) from the standard offering for a marginal cost increase. The cost for a 15% capacity increase (2300kg) is $3000 which is 40% of the overall cost again. As already stated, If I need EOH then I will fit it, no questions! I'm not going to risk my insurance , legal liability or others safety. I'm sure it would be possible to pay a 40% premium on many element of a package that may not be essential/needed but that would be the difference between a $70k or $90k outlay.

A 4 wheel hydraulic/stainless disc braked 2200kg trailer is far more responsible than a 2 wheel braked 2000kg trailer in my opinion. It's also easily upgradable if needed... 

for comparison, 6 of 8 secondhand reefrunners on the market or recently sold across Australia are on 2000kg trailers. 9 out of 10 new packages are also offered this way. I'm not saying it's right, but it's the way it is! 

Perhaps this system might just help others stay within the limit of the law for those that are marginally over 2k when fully loaded.