98 oceanpro 115 overheating

Hey guys hope someone can help, so down at the lake last four days, my 98 oceanpro 115 running sweet, last day there had a moment were I thought I was starting to run out of fuel so stopped and refilled, didn't turn off  engine while I was doin this and she started to sputter so shut it down and continued, after this I tried to restart but it took maybe 5 mins to restart could have over chocked it not sure, anyway it finally turned over and had a couple of backfire coughs, so resumed activitys towing a biscuit but suddenly realised my temp was reading bout 20 on guage hovering on overheating sign, backed off and tried again, at idle 1000 rpm temp is normal as soon  as I start any higher revs the temp goes with it and on the plane bout 2500 3000 hovering just over 20 on guage, I have replaced both Thermos recently, and the tell tale water is cool what could be causing this, never happened b4.

little johnny's picture

Date Joined: 04/12/11

No sure

Sat, 2022-01-08 15:34

But have they got the overheat censor to throttle body like optimax 2 bangers do.$20 part can cause these symptoms. Also could be impella not quite good enough at idle ( worn) . While travelling water will have more force. Only 2 things that comes to mind. All guess work start simple

Date Joined: 10/12/14

But its not overheating on

Sat, 2022-01-08 16:37

But its not overheating on idle it starts rising as rpm goes up

little johnny's picture

Date Joined: 04/12/11

Sorry I read wrong

Sat, 2022-01-08 18:16

Would think impeller ?

Scotte's picture

Date Joined: 07/12/06

Id check everything and

Sun, 2022-01-09 14:46

Id check everything and replace as necessary. 

Waterpump and the seal on the water tube, thermostats, poppet valve and on a 98 model id be suspicious about the water jacket being blocked or partially blocked with corrosion unless the head has been off before and cleaned. 

You mentioned Lake but has it been used in salt water, if so there will be corrosion. 

How did it all look as far as corrosion goes down the passages  when you changed the thermostats.

Yeh will check everything,

Mon, 2022-01-10 09:04

Yeh will check everything, going to replace water pump, what is involve with taking head off and cleaning passages.

Date Joined: 21/05/12

start with impeler - they

Mon, 2022-01-10 09:18

start with impeler - they can throw 1 vane when the get brittle, which breaks others, or maybe it happens other way round

Little update, changed the

Tue, 2022-02-01 19:27

Little update, changed the impeller, old one seemed fine but changed anyway but not sure of difference, if anything the stream seems a bit weaker, still strong but maybe not the same but I could be over thinking it, but one thing I have noticed is that when idling it sits round 100 degrees on gauge so I pulled the little hose off gauge and checked ihe temps and I can comfortably hold the water stream from that hose in hand which if it was 100(boiling) i wouldn't be able to really hope that it wasn't just the gauge I've missed a few good days boating coz of this haha

Walfootrot's picture

Date Joined: 23/07/12

just my 2c, if the tell tail

Thu, 2022-02-03 08:53

just my 2c, if the tell tail is cool/warm it can not be the pump as the water would be hot, check the thermostats are in correctly and are openning at the right temp

More drum lines, kill the bloody sharks!