AFL 2013 new rules

bombers vs crows match just finished.

Just finished watching the opening match.

One thing I noticed was the new below knee contact rule appears to suck (no fox - didn't see the NAB cup) as long as they are going to pay it for incidental contact like that.  Both frees were pretty minor and against the player going for the ball. (I'll admit I go for the crows and both frees were against us but I don't want to see that crap paid in a neutral game I'm watching either)!! 

New ruck rule I sit on the fence - may be better but need to see more of it

Who watched and what did you think??

Cheers Paul

Youtube Channel  -  FishOnLine Productions

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbUVNa-ViyGm_FTDSv4Nqzg/videos

joe m's picture

Date Joined: 21/03/11

Im a Crow supporter myslelf

Fri, 2013-03-22 22:02

Im a Crow supporter myslelf but doesnt change the fact that the rule is fuckin ridiculous! Why should you be punished for putting your body on the line to get to the ball first. Next they will award a free against a player running backwards to take a mark.

Doesnt change the fact we played shit house

Joe M

Bruce's picture

Date Joined: 11/04/12

I play footy and have been

Sat, 2013-03-23 06:41

I play footy and have been playing since I was in Auskick, and if I've learnt one thing, its get in and get the ball first. If that means sliding in then thats what you've got to do. Quite a bad rule.

the_dude84's picture

Date Joined: 15/03/11

It's shithouse, the bloke

Sat, 2013-03-23 08:06

It's shithouse, the bloke putting his body on the line should be rewarded

WSHN4FSHN's picture

Date Joined: 19/09/12

I'm all for preventing head

Sat, 2013-03-23 10:47

I'm all for preventing head injuries in sport - I've had a few myself. But they have gone completely the wrong way with this one. Penalizing the player going for the ball is ludicrous. If a player is commited to getting the ball protection should be given to that player if their actions aren't wreckless. If he dives head first into someones stationary legs he's an idiot and he asked for what he gets. The rules already give provision to encourage players not to dive on the ball and keep the ball moving but this rule only encourages players to think twice about a contest and go for the man in these situations instead of the ball as to not give away a free kick. It's not in the spirit of the game which sadly is being diluted more and more each year with rules like this. 

Burley it and they will come.

carnarvonite's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/07

Broken shins

Sat, 2013-03-23 12:53

Tell that to Barlow [friendly fire] and all the other who have had broken legs in the last few years caused by diving head first on the ball in an attempt to win a free kick from high contact. Selwood bros won't like it thats for sure.

WSHN4FSHN's picture

Date Joined: 19/09/12

I think I get what you mean

Sat, 2013-03-23 15:20

(Edited) It's a bit presumptuous to think their intention was to get a free kick when going in for the ball and accidentally breaking the legs of the opposition but anyway. Lets say in each game of the year there are 30 contests per game that involve a player lateral with the ground + a player standing, where contact is made in a contest where both players are legitimately going for the ball. 30 (contests) X 185 (games in a season) = 5550 contests that are of a "high risk" nature to the player on his feet. If out of those there are 10 (conservative) knee or leg injuries, this equates to 0.18 percent of contests result in an injury that they are trying to prevent. Does that warrant a rule change? I don't think it does. There is such a thing as bad luck in any sport and Barlow was a direct recipient!!

Burley it and they will come.

uncle's picture

Date Joined: 10/02/07

barlows injury was his own fault

Sat, 2013-03-23 15:56

there was another docker camped under the ball ready to mark

all aggressive fish love bigjohnsjigs

carnarvonite's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/07

Friendly fire

Sat, 2013-03-23 16:02

What do you think "friendly fire"means!!!

uncle's picture

Date Joined: 10/02/07

friendly fire

Sat, 2013-03-23 16:33

or greed,if asked if he'd do it again what would the answer be?

all aggressive fish love bigjohnsjigs

Dale's picture

Date Joined: 13/09/05

No new stuff on ducking I

Sun, 2013-03-24 18:03

No new stuff on ducking I see, was plenty of it going on last night.

cheers

Dale

"Just because you are a Character, Doesn't mean you have Character."

Mr Wolf