Another Coral Bay report 2015

Hi All,

Just returned from our annual 2 weeks at Coral Bay with the family before the start of the school holidays. First few days were pretty quiet with strong southerlies. After that the weather really turned it on. Had some absolutely glassy conditions, some of the best I've seen.

Scored plenty of variety with some top quailty table fish coming on board along with some hard fighting sport fish (returned to fight another day) on the light jigging gear to make for great fun. A couple of firsts for us tomato cod, got a couple in one session one which I recon I dropped about 20m from the surface. It popped up a couple of minutes later next to the boat, out with the net! Plus an amberjack on the light demersal jigging out fit retrieving the jig off the bottom flat out as you would expect. Unfortunatley I couldn't find the demersals on the jig, bait did the damage this trip. The brother in law scored his PB mackie in a fairly unconventional way. We were inside the reef having a bit of a spangle bash in about 15m of water after trolling for about 3 hours on the out side skipping gars, laser pros, rapalas the kitchen sink all for one barracuda. He was using his light jigging combo he had bought off me, a sustain 5000fg loaded with PE2.5 on a eupro giant king PE1-3. A single 6/0 attached straight onto a rod lenght of 50lb fluro with a chunk of squid just lobbed off the back of the boat floating in the current. Initially called it for a big trev but after about 10min of screaming runs and not being bricked figured maybe a big cobe. Then a big flash from off the bottom with those awsome stripes appeared, a few tense moments boat side and had it on board. A good effort on the little gear.

Had a couple of memorable snorkling sessions with the kids 4 and 7 years old out on the reef it was the first time my boy 4 has seen what is actually under water. His face was priceless when he saw everything that actually goes on down there!

Anyway been back 2 days and already fanging to get back there, I'll let the pics do the talking now.

Cheers Chris.

Image Upload: 

Date Joined: 14/05/12

Nice

Tue, 2015-09-29 21:24

Very nice fish- even better conditions. Great stuff

cant wait until next April when my young bloke gets his first real taste of CB.

cheers

brett

duncan61's picture

Date Joined: 21/11/14

love it

Tue, 2015-09-29 21:34

its great when the weather works out

just do it.

Madmerv's picture

Date Joined: 24/01/15

Good report

Tue, 2015-09-29 21:36

Looks like you had a ball. Great mixed bags there and top photo's to show it off.

I wish half my days fishing were as flat as yours looked. Awsum.

Sometimes when the water is quiet, you can hear the fish laughing at you !

Uluabuster's picture

Date Joined: 12/12/10

Brilliant report and great

Wed, 2015-09-30 08:21

Brilliant report and great conditon. 

Date Joined: 26/04/14

Some awesome conditions to

Wed, 2015-09-30 09:40

Some awesome conditions to fish in and on top of that the reward of good fish 

azza1's picture

Date Joined: 30/04/11

Conditions look mint. Quality

Wed, 2015-09-30 11:12

Conditions look mint. Quality fish too.

Date Joined: 17/06/10

Great post and pictures

Wed, 2015-09-30 11:39

The picture that will stay in your memory for ever (I think) will be the one where you showed your 4 year old the magic of what is below the surface of the ocean.
Those moments are priceless.

Cruise Control's picture

Date Joined: 03/11/10

weather looks absolute crap.

Wed, 2015-09-30 13:48

weather looks absolute crap. Nice fish BTW

Boydy's picture

Date Joined: 26/09/12

Cheers Fella's

Wed, 2015-09-30 19:14

The weather was unreal, in all honesty too good at times. The fish seem to shut down a bit when there's no movement at all. Also we couldn't always set the drift we wanted, the boat would do circle work with the sea anchor hanging right under the boat causing a few crossed lines.
It was definitely a highlight that will stay with me, seeing and hearing the excitement the kids got out of being in and on the water. Still does it for me every time I get out there.

kirky79's picture

Date Joined: 13/01/12

Nice one Boydy.

Wed, 2015-09-30 20:51

Watching the kids discover the underwater world is great. Last year we spent 9 days out at Ningaloo station with our 4 & 6 year olds at the time. They had a ball with the snorkelling gear on just off the beach, on the last day took them out to the shallow reef off Winderabandi point and it blew their little minds!! Awesome. Great fish BTW.  

Date Joined: 10/04/12

Great stuff, that first pic

Thu, 2015-10-01 08:11

Great stuff, that first pic kills me!

Does anyone actually enjoy the tomato cod? I find the meet goes tough / rubbery when cooked. Maybe a curry or something?