bullbar for prado 150. reccomendations??

Looking to buy a bull bar for my GXL prado. Any reccomendations on brand/style/price and who done the fitting etc? All info much appreciated.

Marko

scano's picture

Date Joined: 31/05/07

Genuine Toyota

Sat, 2017-02-11 16:57

Unfortunately if you want maximum resale value, there is only 1 choice and that is a genuine Toyota polished Ali bar. I know some mates who have fitted arb bars at they are about a grand cheaper, yet they just don't look or fit 100% the same. I use 100 series land cruisers as an example, genuine bar and towbar, they fetch really good money. If you went the cheaper option and fitted a basic steel non genuine bar, it drops the resale value by at least a few grand. 

Scano

Date Joined: 07/07/15

the arb bars look and fit

Sat, 2017-02-11 18:22

the arb bars look and fit 100% better on the new prados than the toyota ali bars. ali bars are a waste of time.

as for the resale value, not sure where the figures are that say a ARB bar or similar would impact the resale value. if anthing ARB gear usually adds to the value

ChopChop's picture

Date Joined: 17/01/15

Bars

Sat, 2017-02-11 18:46

It depends on what level of protection. We replaced all our Ali bars on work prados with steel after a few decent hits (roos) and the Ali bars did more damage than they stopped. Ali is a Waste of money if a decent hit is possible. 1 headlight was $1100! $1200 for a new ironbar bull bar. I think $1300 now. They can take a hit too! Very similar design to ARB, and a little cheaper. Personally I don't like the look of the Ali bars either.

Date Joined: 28/07/11

ARB bars look way better on

Sat, 2017-02-11 19:28

ARB bars look way better on the 150 than the genuine ones. Id pay more for one with an ARB bar over a one with genuine!

Date Joined: 01/01/70

ARB's look good

Sat, 2017-02-11 19:41

but man they are a rip off! anything with ARB on it is over priced.

black gen's picture

Date Joined: 13/04/11

Yes they are expensive arb

Sat, 2017-02-11 20:21

Yes they are expensive arb that is but like everything you get what you pay for 

and if your planning on doing any country night driving what price do you put on your safety 

we have an Arb bar and absolutely drilled a big boomer on a early morning run to coral bay from carnarvon at 110 had not time to brake 

broke the fog light bent the number plate no other damage 

another mate had a iron man bar on his Navara heading back to carnarvon from Perth hit a roo and had panel damage and the bar needed replacing, he then opted for a genuine steel bar

moral of the story pay the money get quality 

and aluminum bars....:good luck hope you don't hit anything 

Stevo81's picture

Date Joined: 16/04/12

Expensive but worth it

Sat, 2017-02-11 22:51

Expensive but worth it IMO

https://www.arb.com.au/toyota-landcruiser-prado-150-series-prado-2013-present/frontal-protection/

••••••••  Electrical Contractor NOR  ••••••••

Date Joined: 06/02/14

As most have mentioned go a

Sat, 2017-02-11 23:39

As most have mentioned go a steel bar. Ali is useless in an impact & also useless for mounting a winch if you want one. Ironman bars are ok for what you pay but are not as strong as the ARB bars & also the approach angle on many Ironman bars is not very good for earlier models but I'm unsure of it on the 150. You will pay through the nose for the ARB but it's worth it. As for the Toyota genuine, it belongs on the scrap heap as it is totally useless & most definitely will not add to the resale value like a quality aftermarket steel bar. If you don't know exactly what you are doing then pay somebody to mount it for you. You don't want to screw up anything to do with the airbags. If you fit it, have an accident, the airbags don't go off & somebody in your car is injured, YOU are liable. Pay the supplier the extra $150 & get it professionally fitted. Better the extra expense to cover your arse than pay somebodys medical bills & compensation.

Date Joined: 08/09/11

roo bars

Sun, 2017-02-12 06:33

The roo bar is supposed to absorb the energy of the impact, and does this by deforming. If the bar doesn't absorb the impact, the force is transmitted to the vehicle. By bending as the ally ones do, the energy of the impact is absorbed and kept away from the vehicle. The best of the lot are the polly ones, after a time the polly ones will self straighten to a large degree. Working in a business doing repairs to vehicles involved in roo strikes, steel bars that transmit the force of impact to the chassis often did structural damage to the vehicle. It is cheaper to replace the roo bar than repair the chassis. regards Marrisy.

Date Joined: 06/02/14

Haha. If you work in the

Sun, 2017-02-12 06:53

Haha. If you work in the game then you have seen what I've seen. Ali bars deforming all the way through the front end & destroying the vehicle anyway. As well as the fact that ali bars are totally useless for a winch, even the ones that are supposedly designed for it. Steel all day. A real chasis helps to instead of the stupid monocoque design that many 4x4's have these days. A roo isn't going to bend a chasis rail no matter how big it is or how hard you hit it but it will sure as hell destroy an ali bar, headlights, grill, fenders, radiator, fans etc etc. As for poly, bloody ridiculous to say they are the best of the lot unless by best you mean weakest rubbish you can get?

Date Joined: 08/09/11

Seen enough bent chasis from

Sun, 2017-02-12 11:08

Seen enough bent chasis from big roos . and the odd cow. If the damage is bad enough to do that to an ally bar, wont matter what you have, its going to be bad. Manny roo bars these days are mounted too close to the body for my liking, I think of the roo bar as a crumple devise , sacrificial to save the vehicle. Every one to their own opinion. Regards Marrisy.

black gen's picture

Date Joined: 13/04/11

That's gotta be the post of

Sun, 2017-02-12 09:13

That's gotta be the post of the week!!! 

Markie's picture

Date Joined: 06/08/10

cheers lads.  

Sun, 2017-02-12 06:44

cheers lads.  

Date Joined: 26/04/14

Dont forget about your front

Sun, 2017-02-12 08:27

Dont forget about your front suspension. Steel bars are bloody heavy and will make the front sag. 

mrwinta's picture

Date Joined: 14/01/10

Facelift or not?

Sun, 2017-02-12 13:05

AFN- pricey but I like the look of mine... I thnk I paid about $2500 with paint and fitting. It took a bit of adjustment to get it to fit correctly so the cost of fitting was money well spent. It has intergrated tow points and a very good aproach angle. I hope I never get to find out how durable it is against animal strikes. 

s23.postimg.org/t1b1jz1u3/20161222_071954.jpg

s29.postimg.org/9zrd4nj87/20161222_072138.jpg

Any good animal strike can wreck all bars and they should really be replaced if that happens.

Have a look on Pradopoint, just like this site there are many oppinionated people all of which know better than the other..

Enjoy whichever one you get mate... Good advise by gillyL ^^

NEVER PUSH YOUR GRANNY WHEN SHE'S SHAVING

gruntre69's picture

Date Joined: 15/10/16

I agree with most on here and

Sun, 2017-02-12 13:43

I agree with most on here and consider a bull bar has 2 primary purposes:

1: A mounting platform for winches, lights and antennas, along with jacking points for high lift jacks

2: Protection from frontal impacts and a push bar for light scrub

I bought a new ARB colour coded winch bar for my Hilux (very similar look to the Prado), I now have the same colour coded ARB bar on my 200 series.

I personally agree that they are over priced, however they are also the best overall package considering looks, quality, strength, R & D etc. You get what you pay for and others try to copy...

I have been more than happy with my ARB bars and highly recommend.

I also agree that the factory units are a waist of time especially the ally ones. As stated earlier heavy steel bars with affect ride height, handling on rough ofroad driving and economy (especially if a lift kit is added to compensate) 

Marine trimmer NOR (available for clears, tops, carpet, upholstery, custom equipment covers)

Date Joined: 12/03/10

Dobinsons bar

Sun, 2017-02-12 14:24

Give Malaga supensions a call they do the full range of dobinsons 4x4 accessories and the bars are great quality and well priced 

Date Joined: 25/05/12

Arb prado winchbar just

Mon, 2017-02-13 15:24

Arb prado winchbar just popped up on gumtree mate, I  don't have the link tho sorry