Cape Range National Park - Beach Launching a 5.25 Runabout

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip up to Cape Range NP and want to find out about beach launching from the various camp grounds.  I've found lots of people who have launched boats around the 4m mark but would like to hear from anyone who has launched boats around 5.3m (aluminium).  Would prefer to stay and launch in the park rather than launching at Tantabiddi.

Also any tips for beach launching - I've only launched once off a beach and that was hard sand and a quick drop off so relatively easy. I guess things change with soft sand, shallow water and onshore winds. I plan to get a bit more experience (and make sure my deckie is up to speed) locally around Perth before my trip and was planning on fitting a "drop down" spare wheel to assist with launching - whats ya thoughts.

Cheers.

why put fish in the freezer? eat them fresh and fish more often!

Simon C's picture

Date Joined: 01/05/07

Easy

Tue, 2013-04-23 00:07

Launching easy - launch my 680 stabi no problems in the NP, getting it out however is another story. Low tide or high, never in between. No one will tell you where for good reason, there is no easy retrieve and it is easy to stuff it up. I would not do it without a backup vehicle already hitched up with snatch strap - speaking from experience. Short answer yes u can, but I would drop it in, leave it anchored whilst I camp then drive back to tantas.

Date Joined: 16/10/10

A tip to help with retrieve

Tue, 2013-04-23 13:59

A tip to help with retrieve is once boat is on trailer and you are ready to move out, break the suction on the trailer tyres by reversing 3-400mm before going forward.

Also, if your trailer is single axle, you can try reversing down and parking with the trailer at an angle to your vehicle, this puts more pressure on one wheel than the other for a moment while moving off so you can get that valuable bit of momentum that is hard to get when on soft sand on an incline. This can work in a negative way if you angle is too sharp and you are attempting a steep angle with soft sand when your tow vehicle wants to slide sideways. We only used to do this on beaches where the sand swallows the trailer tyres but the vehicle has a firm footing.

Pavers66's picture

Date Joined: 02/05/07

Thanks for the tips guys.

Tue, 2013-04-23 22:44

The launching and mooring sounds a good option. I'm thinking I'll go for it and launch at a camp ground with a view to leaving it at anchor overnight and recovering it after a few days, if I have to I can always take the boat back to Tantas and get it out there. I'll have a good look at the weather forecast and tides first though.

why put fish in the freezer? eat them fresh and fish more often!

carnarvonite's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/07

Tyre pressures

Thu, 2013-04-25 09:06

Drop the pressure on your car and trailer tyres before trying to pull it out of the water.
Another trick is to get the boat on as quickly as possible because the longer it standstill the further it sinks in the sand because of wave action.