Cape york Trip 2025

Gday Guys, we are planning a trip up to cape york next year and trying to decide the best way for us to logist it. Does anyone have any info or recommendations on vehicle hire, 4x4 with rooftopper with 4 bodies on board.? I have found some although unsure of additional cost etc to be aware of. Trying to avoid the drive over only due to the lost time getting there and back. I am also aware of it being about the journey not the destination but driving over will basically put another 2 weeks onto the trip.

Another option is transport for my rig over there to cairns, fly over and drive up from there. Any info/experiances/guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Leon 

pelagicyachts's picture

Date Joined: 23/02/11

slightly closer to home - we

Fri, 2024-09-06 08:17

slightly closer to home - we did the gibb 2 years ago and we trucked my fully packed 200s to broome and back
We hired a camper in broome, Trucking was ~ 1500ish return if i recall, a lot cheaper than hiring a 200 series ex Broome and :
It allowed us to pack all the stuff we wanted to take rather than be limited to what hire company provides
It gave us 4 weeks on the Gibb instead of 3 weeks and a week of travel perth to broome and back
It gave us the "permit" to do what we want - hire companies had some limitations on where you can and cannot take the hire car
Not all trucking companies will allow you to have your car packed, i went with an independent operator, the big ones (CEVA etc) are not as flexible

Cairns is a lot further away than Broome - but just my 2 cents worth :-)

Date Joined: 16/05/09

Check with Slugger on here

Fri, 2024-09-06 12:27

Check with Slugger on here how much transport cost from Qld. I think that will put you off. I just had a Hilux sent from Broome to Perth and it was $1250 on general freight.

Date Joined: 19/06/14

It’s not going to be cheap

Sat, 2024-09-07 06:34

When we moved from Cairns to Darwin we were quoted $3300 to ship a Suzuki Swift one way. We ended up driving it ourselves, a shitload cheaper and a lot more fun. After spending time living up past the cape and driving it one way from Bam-Bam to Cairns I wasn't that impressed with what was on offer. Yes there are places that are well worth seeing but you'd be better off tacking it on to a bigger trip. I do believe that the West coast and the NT is way, waaaaay prettier. 

My wife understands why I clean my rods n reels in the shower....

brown364's picture

Date Joined: 25/08/15

Cheers guys

Sat, 2024-09-07 19:25

We may even look at a tag along style, any way we look at it it's exy! Y3s it would be great to do a long trip though it isn't the right stage to do that atm. Really want to get there and experience it before it's a super hwy.

tight lines all

Date Joined: 16/05/09

Did Cape York 11 years ago ,

Sun, 2024-09-08 07:13

Did Cape York 11 years ago , it's already a super highway or so the maniacs thought. They drive like absolute idiots on the track up. Teletrack was better.