Carnar-fin 2018

It has just been announced that the 2018 Carnar-fin comp. has been knocked on the head.

carnarvonite's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/07

Not before time

Sun, 2018-02-18 14:55

IMO not before time. Upsizing your catch has been  a problem with the comp for years , all made easy when you can stop out for days and if you get a bigger fish then the smaller dead one goes over the side. People say it doesn't happen but anecdotel evidence proves it does.

Will be a huge loss of money to the Carnarvon Lions club as it is their major fund source

Bing's picture

Date Joined: 13/02/11

Sad News

Sun, 2018-02-18 18:42

Fished the Comp and islands many times and can’t say I’ve thrown dead fish over the side, It’s a shame people out there do this.

Perhaps they could change the format to something like the Get Fishing Tournements (picture of fish on brag mat and code). This will also assist with some of the less desirable eating species in the comp being suscessfully released, rather then kept purely for weigh in without any intention of eating.

black gen's picture

Date Joined: 13/04/11

Anecdotal evidence where? i

Sun, 2018-02-18 18:06

Anecdotal evidence where?

i think the anecdotal evidence states that the local commercial fisherman have a lot to answer for both in the pinks and crab fishery 

I don't think a few boats catching 15 fish at a time are doing any harm to a fishery like carnarvon where on a flat calm easter Saturday morning there are 15 trailers in the car park

hardly getting flogged by trailer boats

just my opinion but I think you are a little off the mark on this one 

carnarvonite's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/07

Pros

Sun, 2018-02-18 18:12

Both the pink snapper and crab fisheries are now on quotas, pinks have a limit on bycatch now to prevent them hitting the goldband too heavily when the pnks are scattered.

black gen's picture

But the years of unregulated

Sun, 2018-02-18 19:20

But the years of unregulated pillaging was ok because 'now they are on quotas'

they have closed the fishery down in carnarvon previously due to overfishing by pro boats 

the mind baffles how you think it's amateur fishos causing the problem

we are talking about the same people with the mindset that fish trapping was a good idea and pushed for it 

Quobbarockhopper's picture

Date Joined: 28/05/10

Sorry mate, but your

Sun, 2018-02-18 21:48

Sorry mate, but your completely wrong here. Even if some idiots were chucking small fish over the edge (I mean really, if they’re out for an overnighter or days at a time like you say, you’d think 10-15 fish or whatever is enough) is even a drop in the ocean on fish stocks, your delusional. Think I’m wrong? Just wait a couple of weeks/ a month till u hear what’s coming for Bernier island (am guessing you haven’t or else you wouldn’t be spouting off about how well the “sustainable” quota system is working) purely because the comms have raped the pink spawn to within a literal inch or two of its life 

“Their on a quota system”... yeah, that’s currently at 240t of pink (which has already been slashed multiple times in the last 20 years) even though they have struggled to get over the 130t mark in the last few years, and is very soon to be reduced to 50t and locked out of some areas during the spawn cause they’ve just realised how much the pros and destroyed the spawning aggregation and if something’s not done literally now there will be literally nothing left in the bottom of the barrel for them to scrape. 

Meanwhile, the recs (who catch 20t of pink the whole Gascoyne region) are gonna have to bend over and cop it sweet in all sorts of painful ways through little fault of their own, as a result... “anecdotal evidence”... ppfffttt. How bout hard and actual evidence on who’s killing the area instead. 

Bing's picture

Date Joined: 13/02/11

Berneir

Mon, 2018-02-19 08:09

Will be interesting to see what is implementted with Berneir, whether it is an exclusion radius around the whole island, species ban or one of many other options. Obviously the first thing will be shutting the comm snapper.

I’m unsure of how strong they will be able to enforce an area ban with rec fishers, with the island being so far off shore vs Perth’s demersal/Cockburn closure. Personally I think they should enforce a Pink snapper ban to try and keep what little breeding stock remains. 

At the end of the day it’s a disgrace that the fishery has got to this stage with the signs clearly there.

I have spoken with the lions club and offered assistance, unfortuantly as mention below this is due to personal reason. Will just have to look forward to 2019.

Date Joined: 27/12/06

rules

Sun, 2018-02-18 15:14

why not just change the rules of the competition to be more sustainable?
Win win

black gen's picture

because what one bloke

Mon, 2018-02-19 14:35

because what one bloke presumes happens and what happens generally across the board are two different things.

Date Joined: 27/12/06

yep

Mon, 2018-02-19 16:21

yeah seeing where the thread has gone after posting that comment, its clear that the comp itself wasn't the problem, hopefully be up and running for you next year
all good

Tue, 2018-02-20 11:15

upsizing via "ancedotal

Tue, 2018-02-20 11:12

upsizing via "ancedotal evidence"... so, lets analyse this:

Its alleged that this occurs as people throw smaller fish over the side in the attempt to upgrade to win prizes etc.

So, lets suppose: mr X is fishing with 2 mates on board. catches 3 baldchin of varying sizes. Then catches a whopper that is a contender.

for the "upsizing" to occur, the boat would have to have 9 baldies on ice already (or else it would be kept anyway) or 18/ 27 if, as suggested, they are "stopping out for days at a time". Geez, they must have a ripper spot! Impressive...

walloped's picture

Date Joined: 08/04/12

Huge loss to the town in

Sun, 2018-02-18 15:16

Huge loss to the town in general I would have thought.

Date Joined: 07/11/08

carnarfin has been postponed

Sun, 2018-02-18 19:28

carnarfin has been postponed this year because of personal reasons with in the club so show some respect fellas. Carnaronite you are so out of touch in what the average Rec fisher does or does not do these days it's not funny I to would love to see your evidence. Black gen your spot on. 

Date Joined: 07/11/08

carnarfin has been postponed

Sun, 2018-02-18 19:30

carnarfin has been postponed this year because of personal reasons with in the club so show some respect fellas. Carnaronite you are so out of touch in what the average Rec fisher does or does not do these days it's not funny I to would love to see your evidence. Black gen your spot on. 

Date Joined: 17/06/10

It will be a sad hit

Sun, 2018-02-18 19:31

For a group that does so much for the communities benefit, lions have a very good history of helping others.

The cancellation of the comp must have been a hard decision to make.
So far as "upsizing" goes it unfortunately happens with all sorts of competitions, some people will want to win no matter what it costs/takes.
It's just a fact of human nature.

Dale's picture

Date Joined: 13/09/05

Sun, 2018-02-18 19:32

Wow, look at the Redfest in the avatars.

"Just because you are a Character, Doesn't mean you have Character."

Mr Wolf

timboon's picture

Date Joined: 14/11/10

So many Reds and one Bogan

Sun, 2018-02-18 20:37

So many Reds and one Bogan mobile :)

Good debate fellas, fair fight - fight on!!