Carnarvon Trip 17/8/10

Well, last break myself, Woody and Wirthy decided to make an assault on Carnarvon.  The original plan was to do a nightfish from the Jetty then spend a couple of days fishing Garths rock, all depending on the weather.

After dropping into Telomac in town and having a chat with Ben & Mario, we got the lowdown on what was happening and headed off to the jetty for an evening fish.  To cut a long story short it blew it's arse off and was colder than my ex-wife so next day we dropped back into the tackle shop for another chat and to get some bait.  The boys put us onto a beach with some nice gutters and we spent the arvo fishing the rocks around north of Quobba for a couple of nice fish, a brilliantly coloured spangly, gold spot trevally and got smashed by a few unseens.

We decided to move on to our next spot as it was getting late in the arvo.  We set ourselves up on the beach and lobbed some yellowtail fillets out into the gutters.  Just before dark both Wirthy and Woody had a good run each but failed to hook up.  As the sun sank below the horizon Woodys rod started to buck and dance and he raced to it and set the hook.  Five minutes later in the torchlight a beautiful Mulloway showed itself to us, this was what we had come for.  The lie detector told us 7kgs, we were wrapped, baits were reset and we waited.

The boys had decided to call it a night as we had a drive back into town when Wirthy yelled out that my rod had gone over.  By the time I got to it the fish had dragged it down the beach and was entering the water.  I lifted the rod, and on, this felt like a solid fish, some good runs and bumps.   Big headshakes gave it away that this was no shark and as it came into view in the shore break we realised that this was a better fish. The scales pulled down to 16.7kg, and we were stoked.  I decided to keep it as the fridge at home was empty of fish.

Next day we decided to hit Garths rock as it was our last day before having to head home to Tom Vegas.  Well it's been a long while since I climbed into a rock spot, actually have never since being in WA so both Wirthy and I were a bit apprehensive about the track that Woody suggested, that being straight down, quite similar to the cliffs of Gallopilli.  That didn't happen and we walked in from Camp Rock, definitely not a walk/climb for the faint hearted.  Anyway once down on the ledge we watched schooling tuna busting up not too far out.  About my third cast I came up tight on a nice mack tuna around the 8kg mark, released to fight another day, had forgotten how much fun these are from the rocks.

Woody then hooked up on a nice Estuary Cod, quick photo then back he went as we had enough fish in the freezer.  Not long after he played tug a war with a much bigger cod which he somehow managed to land, great fish from the rocks.  Well the SouWester was starting to come in and the sea starting to build so we made the decision to leg it while we still could.  Anyone been to Garths before knows why as the Gauntlet would be impassable in any sort of swell.

All in all a great trip with good mates.  Also forgot to mention that both Mulloway were mine and Woody's first real Mulla that weren't soapies, woohoo!! We'll Be Back......

Just one more cast , honest !!!  

damo6230's picture

Date Joined: 07/06/08

Good trip with mates and fish

Thu, 2010-09-02 19:48

and different scenery from Price.

Great way to spend a break and solid Mulla to boot

wadetolley's picture

Date Joined: 27/06/08

great

Thu, 2010-09-02 19:59

Great photos, your story was a great read. The green cod eyes are freaky!

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

great spango

Thu, 2010-09-02 20:08

Love that spango pic mate, colours and clarity is sensational.  Good mulloway too.

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

carnarvonite's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/07

Good one

Thu, 2010-09-02 20:12

Good report, sorry we couldn't turn the weather on for you but it looks like you enjoyed yourself anyway.

Date Joined: 18/01/07

the spangly pics is awesome.

Thu, 2010-09-02 20:26

the spangly pics is awesome. some great colours coming through there.

a nice mix of fish. well done

Date Joined: 21/02/08

Top shot on the spanglie,

Thu, 2010-09-02 20:31

Top shot on the spanglie, looks like a great trip!

schecky's picture

Date Joined: 25/08/08

Looked like an awesome trip

Thu, 2010-09-02 20:32

Looked like an awesome trip Goatch, nice stuff

Date Joined: 27/11/09

Awesome!

Thu, 2010-09-02 20:43

Great fish, great trip, great spot. What more can a bloke ask for? Brilliant read and looks like you guys had a blast. Hope to follow in your footsteps soon!

Goatch's picture

Date Joined: 03/07/07

Cheers Guys

Thu, 2010-09-02 20:47

That Spangly , I've never seen one as blue as he was straight out of the water , his colours were just awesome and I don't think the photo really captured it

Just one more cast , honest !!!  

Goodz's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/09

Loveeee the spangly pic!

Thu, 2010-09-02 20:59

Loveeee the spangly pic! Awesome colours! Good work on the mulloway too. Conditions at Garths looked alright, been there before but totally can't remember the walk to get there (was over 10 years ago), but I do remember we walked along from somewhere down the cliff. Is there still a goliath groper down there?

Date Joined: 27/12/06

nice 1

Thu, 2010-09-02 21:01

great view looking off that cliff, stubby in hand

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

well done. great read and

Thu, 2010-09-02 22:55

well done. great read and pics. one thing tho Goatch, to stop the rod from falling over when a fish takes the bait there is a device on reels called a drag Laughing. nice size mulla and great looking spanglie

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together

soupster51's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/06

Top Trip

Fri, 2010-09-03 05:18

Looks like a great trip with a few quality fish there. Agree with comments on the spanglie pic, it's a rippa.

The best reason for doing what's right today is tomorrow.

STEVE231's picture

Date Joined: 05/01/10

Well done boys!

Fri, 2010-09-03 06:17

Good read and great photos!! At risk of sounding repetitive, that spanglie pic is awesome.

woody's picture

Date Joined: 27/02/08

Good work Goatch, it was a

Fri, 2010-09-03 09:36

Good work Goatch, it was a great trip. Did you put that funny vid on youtube yet...it was a cracker!

Bodie's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/07

well done fellas, good read,

Fri, 2010-09-03 10:27

well done fellas, good read, and looks like nice weather too!!!

Well done on the mullas!