Coral Bay 2017

Another year has come and gone and the hope for glassy weather was soon evaporated in the week leading up to the trip with absolute rubbish forecast for as long as we could see. The previous two July school holidays were also windy and proved to be hard work. In the lead up to this years trip, we all commented 'surely we cant have 3 years in a row of shit weather..' how wrong we were. Over the course of the two weeks, the wind dropped under 10 knots for two days, with the majority of days being in the 18-24kn range. 

Undeterred and with the view of the fish arent going to catch themselves, we ventured out most days into the unhappy sea with at times more white water then not and the tops being blown off passing lumps of water. We were drifting over 1kn most days and had to up the amount of lead to hold bottom. 
We spent the majority of our time out in the 120-140s chasing goldband. We did well on the reds earlier in the year at a different location so we were all keen to hunt golds. Most days we seemed to get our bag, and return to the ramp late in the afternoon. 

We had a young fella on board most days who didnt fish much due to the depth but the smile on his face was priceless. When i was younger, a mate of my old man used to take me out fishing in coral bay and i still hold onto those memories dearly so its cool to pass on some memories to another young guy who will be driving our boat in the years to come no doubt

Swell was barely there most of our trip which was nice as that on top of the rank weather would have kept us ashore a few more days. 
We didnt have too much of an issue with sharks which was nice but they did pop up a few times. 
My uncle hooked (on consecutive days) a 6-7ft whaler shark in the side fin and dragged it up sideways from 140m...possibly the funniest thing we have seen in a while but the poor fella was sore in the days after. 

Interestingly enough we hooked a small green jobfish on the troll one afternoon which i havet seen too many being caught on line.

Nice to see lots of the same crew getting about up there and the trip was topped off nicely with a QLD win in game 3 of the origin. 

Was nice to get through this year unscathed as last year i sliced all 3 tendons in my finger and most of the nerves were damaged requiring a quick dash back to the city for micro surgery. Not having to deal with that was great this year...however i did have a few strangers come up to me and hang shit on me for doing it last year which i laughed at.

We stopped through the Galena Bridge camp at Murchison on the way home with what seemed like half of coral bay.

Only 11months until we are back there

Image Upload: 

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Beautiful Goldies Jess and

Tue, 2017-07-25 10:45

Beautiful Goldies Jess and that is a top pic of the job fish, great write up 

Love the West!

Cruise Control's picture

Date Joined: 03/11/10

Those Goldband are good on

Tue, 2017-07-25 11:24

Those Goldband are good on the chew. Good work. 

kirky79's picture

Date Joined: 13/01/12

Shit yeah

Tue, 2017-07-25 11:28

Rewarded for your efforts there. Some beautiful Goldies. Well done, love Coral Bay. 

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

well done. got some gold for

Tue, 2017-07-25 12:34

well done. got some gold for sure. pity the weather wasnt realy on your side. gotta be happy with no swell and plenty of fish tho. great rewards for putting the effort

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together

Stevo81's picture

Date Joined: 16/04/12

Cracking Goldies mate! Are

Tue, 2017-07-25 15:55

Cracking Goldies mate! 

Are you gonna try again for July next year? Im planning a 3-week Coral Bay/Denham trip next year and cant work out when to go. We used to go to Ningaloo station around July and was good more often than not but seasons have moved back a month or so i reckon. Always a gamble with the weather on fishing trips though eh!

••••••••  Electrical Contractor NOR  ••••••••

black gen's picture

Date Joined: 13/04/11

Yeah stevo we will be where

Tue, 2017-07-25 17:05

Yeah stevo we will be where next July 

this was our 15th year up there can't see it stopping anytime soon 

love the place too much 

I know what you mean about the weather as I said above it has been terrible the last three years 

Date Joined: 17/06/10

Thank you great write up & pics

Tue, 2017-07-25 16:03

You certainly can't complain about no fish, some great catches there. That is a ripper of a sunset pic, it's moments like that sitting back after a good days fishing feeling a bit buggered cold wine, or beer in hand and looking at a sunset like that that it makes you appreciate the country we live in and the life we are living.
Enjoy

Tom M's picture

Date Joined: 22/09/15

Enjoyed the review sounded

Tue, 2017-07-25 17:29

Enjoyed the review sounded great, also a peak at the type of rigs used up there in those depths, learnt abit. Tks

Tom M

OOH YEH's picture

Date Joined: 16/06/15

Yep cracker gold but !!!!!

Tue, 2017-07-25 20:25

I can see the young fellow with the squid coming back in the future ..... top pics thanks ....

shorething's picture

Date Joined: 05/10/11

Hooked onto a green job fish

Tue, 2017-07-25 22:24

Hooked onto a green job fish a few years ago while trolling just behind the reef north of north passage. Had no idea what it was at the time so thanks for sharing ha!

black gen's picture

they are excellent eating..i

Wed, 2017-07-26 07:08

they are excellent eating..i hope you ate it?
If you didnt then you wont throw one back next time im sure.

choc's picture

Date Joined: 05/01/12

Small world, Stewart teaches

Wed, 2017-07-26 12:18

Small world, Stewart teaches at my sons school.

Nice fish, looks like a good trip.

black gen's picture

Great fella to have running

Wed, 2017-07-26 17:25

Great fella to have running the school 

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

Perfect

Sat, 2017-07-29 10:59

Perfect size goldies, fight all the way up, easy to fillet and taste awesome.

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance