current model (mid 15 on) 200 serie owners advise

I sold my 2010 200 diesel about 2 months ago (2 months, 3days, 6 hours, 39minutes and 12 seconds to be exact)

I bought a Prado to replace - without starting bagging the prado I hate it and want my 200 back - have been looking at the current shape and wanted to know from anyone who has mid 15 onwards any issues -
I have heard a few things about the particulate filter and seems they dropped the steering wheel controls for a period (new ones have again??)
Claimed fuel economy is 9.5l per hundred - that's gotta be stretch? - am I wrong?

Piggy's picture

Date Joined: 24/08/12

Got one

Fri, 2018-06-01 14:25

Hey mate I have one and have had no issues however I have done a lot of work to mine

Mine doesn't have steering controls which sucks but apart from that its good.

I deleted the DPF, Blocked EGR and had it tuned. Also run the T/C lock up kit and my fuel economy is about 13L/100kms normal driving and 15-17L/100kms when towing my boat that's around 3 tonne. No way you will get 9.5

I go boating not fishing

Date Joined: 01/02/10

I have a 2018 gxl. Got the

Fri, 2018-06-01 14:32

I have a 2018 gxl. Got the steering wheel controls back. Just about to drop it off for it’s 10000 service and have had zero issues. All I’ve done so far is a rack and a dpf back exhaust but suspension and a set of 34’s are not far away. 

Economy is better than the 2012 that it replaced but closer to 11 per 100 than 9.5.

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Go take one for a test

Fri, 2018-06-01 14:34

Go take one for a test drive. I think they feel a heap different to the older ones for what is really the same vehicle. Gearbox tune is much nicer on the newer ones. 

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

pelagicyachts's picture

Date Joined: 23/02/11

nice one thanks - my 2010 I

Fri, 2018-06-01 14:58

nice one thanks - my 2010 I ordered with KDSS which I loved, I replaced exhaust with a 3.5inch but no tune - I loved everything about it except the take off lag - busy intersections meant gassing it under brakes to get a quick take off - I know you can fix with the steunbauer (spelling) units but was hoping the newer ones had fixed that.

2 more questions
1) what is the benefit of blocking the DPF? -in theory of course :-)
2) and do you still need oil catch can to avoid damaging (over time) the passenger side turbo?

Piggy's picture

Opinion

Fri, 2018-06-01 16:44

Deleting the DPF only real benefit is better exhaust flow and you can get a better tune with the engine. Over a period of time the DPF will also block and you will need to replace it, this won’t happen for a hundred thousand or so.

blocking the EGR means clean air is going into the engine. From standard the EGR dumps back into the cars intake system clogging it over a period of time.

100% recommend a catch can with any Diesel engine due to high compression. As above you only want clean air going into your engine.

cheers

I go boating not fishing

TF in DZ's picture

Date Joined: 06/01/17

DPF Filters

Fri, 2018-06-01 17:10

I run a few trucks with the DPF filters and they have been nothing but a PITA and spent $$$$$ main cause I think is we do a fair bit of off bitumen driving and the shakes and dust causes gremlins to appear, if you dont take your 4wd offroad should be right!

Piggy's picture

Yep!

Fri, 2018-06-01 17:15

yep nothing but a pain. Only reason they are there is to meet emissions standards. But with a good tune the car meets the standard no worries

I go boating not fishing

Date Joined: 23/04/14

I’ve got a 2017 GXL

Tue, 2018-06-05 22:18

MY16’s missed out on steering wheel controls; they came back again from early 2017 onwards.

Stock standard I was able to get around 10.5-11 l/100km around town with careful driving.  With larger tyres (285/70’s), barwork, roof rack, a heap of interior mods (i.e. weight) and a Unichip I get around 18 but I’m not really trying and that’s with almost no freeway driving in the mix.  Towing my 1.5t camper on the freeway I see a steady instantaneous fuel consumption of around 10.5 at 100km/h.  Extended trips with a variety of highway, gravel road and off-road I get about 18 (with the camper in tow).

DPF - never notice it and on the LCOOL forum there aren’t widespread problems, although DPF fitted vehicles will only be 2-3 years old.

The consensus seems to be that DPF-back exhausts do little if anything for sound or power.  They can be removed but it is an illegal modification, although there are aftermarket shops that will do it.  I didn’t bother - the Unichip gives me everything I need.

I’ve been toying with the idea of a T/C lockup kit but so far it’s not (for me) a compelling case.  Even towing the camper in Drive I can get the gearbox to lockup at highway speeds in 5th and 6th.  It seems the auto gearbox programming on the MY16 and later models is improved.

pelagicyachts's picture

thanks mate Interesting the

Wed, 2018-06-06 08:30

thanks mate

Interesting the city dealers are pretty keen to sell you a new one - as long as its at list price - after some advice I contacted Manjimup Toyo, they have knocked a fair bit off the list and will deliver to perth for free -
The pricing between new and second hand is so close I am leaning towards new - the wife wants VX I would be happy with GXL, am thinking that battle is lost!.
New price is drive away, second hand pricing is exclusive of stamp duty and transfer fee, new will have capped price servicing for 3yr/60k's at 280 per service and obviously a full warranty - buying second hand does not make sense over a 3 year period - and I intended to keep it for at least that.

Exactly right. I was looking

Fri, 2018-06-08 07:23

Exactly right. I was looking for a near new used one and the sums just didn’t add up as soon as you added stamp duty. 

You will be able to get a gxl for under 90 and a vx will be just under 100. We pay a bit more Toyota tax in the West. 

Date Joined: 30/12/09

I have heard manji Toyota

Fri, 2018-06-08 14:37

I have heard manji Toyota are great through a bloke I know who brought a prado through them. Even came with a full tank of diesel. Rockingham were crap when I brought mine but I got the silver discount from them through who I was working with at the time. 

Get busy living, or get busy dying!

City Toyota

Fri, 2018-06-08 17:05

I've bought several vehicles from them and they will look after you pretty well.  I won't say the absolute best price you can get, but they have very good after sales service.

They've also got a branch of the business called CT Fab that will source and fit just about any aftermarket gear you want.  They get very good prices on some gear, and on others it's about the same as you can get privately.  Aftermarket stuff can be done as a separate transaction so you don't get slugged LCT. 

pelagicyachts's picture

agree their service is good -

Mon, 2018-06-11 09:07

agree their service is good - have always had my cars serviced there and they have been very good on things outside of warranty - on new price though - they are miles away - I signed up for a new 200 last week from Manjimup Toyo and they were 11k cheaper than city Toyota - that's pretty hard to ignore!!

Big difference

Mon, 2018-06-11 11:10

Yes that's too big to ignore.  Without knowing the details it's hard to make any real comment, other than to say if I received two quotes that far apart I'd be double checking that both dealers were quoting on exactly the same thing. 

pelagicyachts's picture

Exactly the same - and the

Mon, 2018-06-11 14:33

Exactly the same - and the difference was CT just quoted list and were not interested in moving off that

When I was looking in

Mon, 2018-06-11 15:13

When I was looking in January City Toyota weren’t interested in doing a deal either. Didn’t even bother trying to follow up. 

Dale's picture

Date Joined: 13/09/05

Fri, 2018-06-08 17:27

+1 for Manjimup Toyota, most people in Busselton used to go across there for new Tojo’s.

"Just because you are a Character, Doesn't mean you have Character."

Mr Wolf

Date Joined: 09/10/06

Yep found the same with

Mon, 2018-06-11 18:53

Yep found the same with Melville Toyota. Walked into prosser canningvale and they instantly dropped 10k without asking.