Engine problems, Evinrude 140 V4 ( 94 model according to the manual )

Hey everyone,

I have a slight issue with my engine, it's old but still runs fine most of the time, I have an alarm going off in the remote, it's a rapid short tone.

In the manual it says it a oil flow problem, but have spoken to one mechanic and he says it could be a number of problems, i.e air or water in the fuel even the remote could be sending dodgy signals.

Last time i was out it cut out on my while going along but started again fine and kept going.

Was wondering if anyone has had this engine with a similar problem or have heard of the problem.

Any help would be fantastic..fix it and i will take you out fishing.

Cheers

James

J Ecclestone

Image Upload: 

POC's picture

Date Joined: 05/01/09

Mate did you try the net

Tue, 2011-09-20 20:06

Heaps of info most motor groups have an owners club which shares info

Infact any of you ETEC owners there is an evinrude club with heaps of info on there have a look.

Hope this helps.........some one

fishboy009's picture

Date Joined: 22/11/10

Cheers i'll look in to that

Tue, 2011-09-20 20:54

Cheers i'll look in to that

J Ecclestone

Date Joined: 08/05/09

manual

Wed, 2011-09-21 09:06

Fishboy , where r u located . I have an engine manual you can burrow if you want . I am in secret harbour .

Joel

fishboy009's picture

Hi,thanks but I have the

Wed, 2011-09-21 16:50

Hi,

thanks but I have the manual,  all it says about it is thats there is no oil flow from pump, i think it might be the oil pump that is buggered just trying to get some outside input before i go ripping it off for a new one.

J Ecclestone

Date Joined: 01/09/09

Oil Pump ??

Wed, 2011-09-21 21:17

If the alarm is going off in the remote and the code is telling you its a low oil pressure problem then it would be fairly aparant ie noises/ kinocking etc ..

A few questions, is the alarm something else ie overheating ???

Is the oil level correct ??

If you suspect its still the oil pump its not just a case off ripping it off and getting a new one it can be quite an involved and time consuming job depending on how mechanically minded you are ... 

I dont mean this to sound harsh but its an important part of the engine which cant be taken lightly ..

Simple test to confirm would be to put an oil pressure gauge on ....

Hope this helps Cheers fishfish...

fishboy009's picture

Hey fishfish,The over heat

Thu, 2011-09-22 16:26

Hey fishfish,

The over heat alarm is a constant tone and the temp gage is working, well it moves up and down when the engine is on, we have had the oil bottle out in pieces and all seems to be working fine, and the low oil tone goes off but yet again a different tone.

The level in the oil bottle is going down so it is using oil and the primer bulb is solid.

Like you said maybe the next stage is to check the oil pressure.

There is no obvious knocking or unusual noise so who knows...

J Ecclestone

Date Joined: 01/09/09

2 stroke ???

Thu, 2011-09-22 20:57

Ah ok this is making more sence now !!! You mentioned an oil bottle ?? so I presume this is a two stroke ??? I was refering to the engine oil pump in a four stroke wet sump !!!!

If the manual is suggesting a low oil pressure problem then I would presume its supposed to be injected at a specific pressure, it may still be using oil but perhaps not enough ?? any online info that you can find specs etc ???

Cheers fishfish

I probably should of said workshop manual

Fri, 2011-09-23 09:27

In the workshop manual there will be a trouble shooting section that will show you how to diagnose the fault .

Without getting into the fact that the VRO system is crap and is better off being disconnected there is a few obvious things to check first.

Have you run out of oil at any stage , if so did you bleed the oil lines . (it might pay to bleed them just to check)

Is the oil flow sensor or wiring U/S 

Also just because it is using oil that does not mean it is working properly . Due to fact that it is a vaccuum operated diaphram it only takes a tiny vaccuum leak to upset the whole system , that is why most johnos and evinrudes of that vintage have been converted back to premix .  

fishboy009's picture

Cheers for the info but i've

Wed, 2011-09-28 18:08

Cheers for the info but i've taken it to the shop just want it fixed and get back out on it..

J Ecclestone

Outcome

Sun, 2011-10-09 15:16

Can you let me know the outcome ?