Exmouth 2014 Trip Report (pic heavy)

Well after several years since my last trip, I snuck onbard a mate's boat for a well earned break from work. Our challenge was to find some fish, have some fun and create some memories, well we did all three in ample quantity, though the number of fish that ended in the ice box were well within our limits. 

We headed out super early on Friday morning to a very calm and foggy landscape. A quick piss break somewhere near GinGin I guess, and a snap of the sunrise over a sea of fog.

We were comfy in our rig for the trip, a nice Prado with a Commodore 670 Allrounder in tow.

The trip up was broken up by a night in Carnarvon. All in all we made good time and another early start saw us hit Yardie Creek by around 10am.

After offloading we headed straight to Tantas to check out the ramp conditions, it was high tide and we were a bit reluctant to put a big glass boat in and not know what low tide looked like, so we left our mates in an ally boat to launch there while we fanged it around to Bundegi, thinking that would be a safer option. Unfortunately the wind was in the wrong direction and several other big glass boats were turning around and advising us not to launch there as the waves and wind were smashing the boats up against the jetty. So after another deliberation we finally jumped back in the car and launched from the marina, which meant an extra few nm's to get to any fishing grounds.

To say the fishing was none existant was an understatement, so apart from one spanglie we got sharked or had charlie courts and honeycomb cods on our lines all arvo. Well at least the weather was kind and the trip back was a glass off.

The next day we studied the tides and decided we could get a launch and retrieve window from around 8am to 3pm at tantas. We managed it with a few millimeters to spare and headed out to south passage.

After a few shark encounters Matt managed a reasonable Spanglie.

Pete nailed a reasonable Rankin

I had a couple of Spanglies and a few shark encounters, then with a few moves in to shallower ground to try and give us some time to get the fish up (rather than in 70m giving the sharks too much time) I got monstered by a very nice Rankin. A personal best for me for this species.

The next day we got a few more minutes on the water as the tides changed a bit in our favour (still needed to be careful though or risked a swim to shore with the boat on a mooring. 

We headed out of North Passage and decided to troll a while with the view of getting a mack, but despite 5 or 6 hook ups none made it to the boat. Instead we headed wider and put on some metal headed skirts. After a few minutes my reel screamed and in the didtance we watched an acrobatic show courtecy of my first Exxy Dolphin fish. A PB at the time and a very happy camper.

We did a bit more bottom bouncing for nothing but red throats, when up to the back of the boat came this little visitor.

Day 3 and we trolled early.

The sharks continued to win so we started to bottom bash. A few spanglies and other odds and sods before Pete got smoked by this big bad amberjack.

Day 4 started as a repeat of days 2 and 3

But with persistance and some quick freespooling action to avoid the sharks our luck finally changed, with a few macks landed in succession.

Try as he might young Matt just couldn't get one to the boat, with several fish getting boatside only to be snaffled before the gaff could be set or bolt under the boat with a shark on its heels to ping off on the boat. In the end he had to settle for a little tuna.

A move out to deeper waters cracked the goldband code and Matt was rewarded with his first of this species.

We have a pic on Matts phone of the mother of all Goldbands that Pete battled for several minutes before playing tug of war with a huge shark, only to get back just a head. Massive would be the best word to descuibe it. Ah well not to be. But we now have a Goldband spot with some monsters on it.

Our final day of fishing was to be nothing but trolling for Marlin, so we only took 5 rods out (the two big game rods plus two right handed reel rods for the boys and one left handed one for me., just in case we could snaffle another Dollie in the 50's or 60's. Well no more than 5 minutes after setting the rods out mine goes ballistic with a much bigger specimen than my earlier fish. A series of acroobatic jumps and a single run and I had this little puppy boatside.

A further 5 minutes and Matt's reel started screaming and after the usual fight he landed his first big Dollie. A great accomplishment after such a nightmare with the spaniards.

We were totally stoked by now so decided it was time to get the big game sticks out. Pete was using his for the first time (having kindly lent it to me a few years back for me to catch my first Marlin) and I was using my neighbour's rod and reel (again unused and being christened by yours truly). We put Pete in the harness so he would take first strike, then me (as Matt had just landed the Dollie). We set the spread and I kid you not, after no more than 5 minutes of trolling Pete's reel growled like a polar bear and we both dived for the rods. I had one thing on my mind and that was to clear the other lure to give Pete a fighting chance. As I grabbed the rod it lunged and screemed, but it was my reel making the noise not Pete's. OMG we had two marlin on at the same time and a totally green crew other than me, having seeing countless marlin landed whilst only landing one myself. This was going to be pandemonium. 

I had Pete on his first Marlin, Matt on the helm and camera and soon to be first time leader man. I was shouting instructions and encouragement all the while trying to focus on my fish too. Mattt was runing between the helm and the camera and undoing the reel saving lanyards, then racing to get me some kind of groin protection anything would do...aaaaggghhh!!!

Petes came to the boat first so I was instructing Matt on what to do, get the gloves, no drop the camera, no turn the boat left, wow get the camera look at those jumps, no drop the camera Pete needs you, no put the gloves back on.... it was bedlam. I tried to keep my fish wide while we dealt with Petes, but on getting to the swivel Pete's got a second wind and shot out again on another run.

Right I had to get mine in so I could help Matt with Pete's fish. I bullied the marlin in and we got the wind on onto the reel. I talked Matt through the process, which he did like he had been doing it his whole life. We had the fish right there, so I backed offf the drag and warned Matt about the rag doll shuffle. Yeah ok he said and proceeded to do the shake rattle and roll. After an initial shock and a drop back in the water, we got the fish boatside again and this time he held on for grim life. I removed the hook and grabbed the camera for a quick pic.

A quick high five and onto Pete's fish. By now my camera had carked it with a suspected water related malfunction, so I was limited in terms of what I could do.

Finally I managed a lucky jump shot in the distance, and a heavily cropped pic follows of Pete's in full flight.

He managed to get this one to the side of the boat after a few dances around the motor and some skillful driving to stay connected. Matt knew what to expect this time and man handled the beast to the side of the boat. I reached for my iphone to get a pic as my camera was by now inoperable.

High tens all around, and an unbelieveble feat of a double hook up and both fish landed with an in experienced crew. You wouldn't read about it.... unless you were a regular fishwrecked forum member.

We continued to troll that afternoon for a couple of small tuna and two more Marlin raised with short 10 second runs before dropping the lures.

What a great way to end a magnificent trip. One I will remember for a long time.

Cheers

Andy Mac (Fishwrecked Reeltime Editor & Forum Moderator)

Youngest member of the Fishwrecked Old Farts Club

sstevee's picture

Date Joined: 15/11/11

Awesome stuff and a top read.

Sun, 2014-05-25 12:30

Awesome stuff and a top read. Nicely done Andy

quadfisher's picture

Date Joined: 28/09/10

Great trip

Sun, 2014-05-25 12:52

Good one Andy , sorry to hear about your shark encounters, They are getting worst up that way they say.

We mainly fish coral bay , And usually have a rule , that once sharked we just up lines straight away and head off somewhere else

kms away.

A couple of times just mins after arriving at a spot we looked down into the water and saw a maybe 10-12 foot whaler type shark

just sat motionless 20 foot or so under the tub.

So they are learning where a easy feed is , and I have heard others say they got sharked on almost every fish for

a hour, to me , there just training the bloody things, why fish there for a hour?, move on , denigh the sharks a feed and loose

less gear!

Sounds like you cleaned up on the trolling , and your rankins a beast , well done

quadfisher

Andy Mac's picture

Date Joined: 03/02/06

We moved regularly

Sun, 2014-05-25 13:03

One shark was enough for us to move. We had lost so many sinkers we were down to 8oz jobbies after a few days.

I agree there is a learned behaviour there for sure. Sharks must hear the motor of a boat and follow it. We were lucky to get one maybe two fish per spot (say two drops) before the sharks put paid to each spot.

I broke a new rod 5 minutes after landing that big Rankin, with another good fish being taken by a shark near the boat. The sudden take with a locked drag smashed the rod into two (and I can assure you I don't high stick). Fought the shark for another 10 minutes to get as much line back as I could before cutting hm off..... time to move again... 

Cheers

Andy Mac (Fishwrecked Reeltime Editor & Forum Moderator)

Youngest member of the Fishwrecked Old Farts Club

Boydy's picture

Date Joined: 26/09/12

Great post Andy.Some awesome

Sun, 2014-05-25 20:52

Great post Andy.
Some awesome pictures there and a fantastic write up.
Your Rankin is an absolute beauty.
Those sharks definitely suss out how to get a feed. Been up at Coral Bay trying for Mackies as soon as you stop the boat we've had up to half a dozen sharks hanging off the back. Even tried keeping the boat in gear trying to get fish on board. In the end just had to give it away.

Hutch's picture

Date Joined: 21/04/13

Wow great trip. How often

Sun, 2014-05-25 13:54

Wow great trip. How often does a multiple hookup of billfish occur?

Date Joined: 06/05/12

Its not uncommon in Sailfish

Sun, 2014-05-25 18:34

Its not uncommon in Sailfish waters Hutch, I can recall my first day out chasing Sails, we land 3 Triples and a Quad. Not a bad intro to game fishing. Marlin are usually singles though. Turning raises into hook ups is the trick ! great photo and trip report guys,well done Thanks

sammy85's picture

Date Joined: 31/08/10

Great post Andy 

Sun, 2014-05-25 18:42

Great post Andy 

Plumber and gas fitter- 0415489103

MJ's picture

Date Joined: 23/06/09

Top trip Andy!

Sun, 2014-05-25 18:55

Well done, nothing like a multiple hookup to get the crew dancing - good pics too!

outdoinit's picture

Date Joined: 05/10/12

Great report n trip had

Sun, 2014-05-25 19:25

Some quality fish you guys got..

getting sharksd all the time after shifting around constantly is a major pain in the rear..

top report n thx for sharing..

I've spent half my life fishing.. The other half I have wasted.. 

jarrid's picture

Date Joined: 20/08/10

Great report and photos

Sun, 2014-05-25 19:27

Great report and photos

A-SALT-WEAPON's picture

Date Joined: 07/07/10

Excellent

Sun, 2014-05-25 20:25

Excellent report Andy thanks for sharing. I'm jealous 

FISH-ON's picture

Date Joined: 19/07/11

awesome report was great to

Sun, 2014-05-25 20:43

awesome report was great to read

Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

sounds like you had a great

Sun, 2014-05-25 22:20

sounds like you had a great well deserved trip away. pity the sharks wanted to play with your fish as well. looks like you got some nice keepers for a feed. Congrats on the double hookup and landing of the stick faces. gotta be happy all round with the trip.

now to plan your next trip away within the 4 years i hope.

Great write up and pics as always, thanks for sharing the trip

our last trip away was 2 years back and hopefully next year we will be up there , well maybe Coral bay not exxy

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together

soupster51's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/06

Awesome

Mon, 2014-05-26 06:02

Great stuff Andy, best FW post for ages. Very envious, makes me wish I was back on Pohnpei. Planning on a Exmouth trip early next year. Well done on the double hookup and boating them both.

The best reason for doing what's right today is tomorrow.

crasny1's picture

Date Joined: 16/10/08

The smiles says it all

Mon, 2014-05-26 11:41

Epic apart from the sharks and thanks for sharing.

2 marlin at the same time?, I can just hear the commentary going on

"I would like to die on Mars. Just not on impact!!" _ Elon Musk

uncle's picture

Date Joined: 10/02/07

yep well done

Mon, 2014-05-26 11:51

good pics and story, nice fish

all aggressive fish love bigjohnsjigs

spanishmackeral's picture

Date Joined: 05/01/11

this gets me all kinds of

Mon, 2014-05-26 15:01

this gets me all kinds of excited, 2 weeks and im there
nice report mate

Snappa's picture

Date Joined: 26/05/14

Great shots 

Mon, 2014-05-26 16:38

Great shots 

All the gear, no idea.

sherbert's picture

Date Joined: 10/09/06

Well done guys

Tue, 2014-05-27 03:43

Agreat trip by the looks,  The old boy still got it

Assassin landbase fishing club

WSHN4FSHN's picture

Date Joined: 19/09/12

Awesome write up and photos

Mon, 2014-06-02 21:33

Awesome write up and photos Andy. It takes a lot of effort to put it all together and it was a very pleasurable read!! Definitely a trip of a lifetime and I'll bet it won't be so long between drinks next time!!

Burley it and they will come.

DUNGA's picture

Date Joined: 03/06/14

Well done

Sat, 2014-06-07 06:21

Looks like it was a good trip, great photos

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. 

abeldog's picture

Date Joined: 12/04/10

Great Report

Sat, 2014-06-07 06:35

Andy, Ahhh Exy home of all things fishing.

"People See Things As They Are & Ask Why???

We Can All Dream of Things That Never Were and Ask Why Not!!"( RK )

fisho-ron's picture

Date Joined: 26/09/09

Bloody awesome trip Andy,

Sat, 2014-06-07 07:14

Bloody awesome trip Andy, can't wait to get up there myself soon.

those sharks seem to be a real problem there hey?

cheers mate and well done to all!!