FADS April 2022

Just chucking up a report for a trip out wide to the fads from earlier this year 

Left the ramp pre dawn, got out and caught some little fish etc. for bait.

Steamed out to the bank and kept hitting spots all morning with not many good fish to be seen.

Dad was on bait and I was jigging, outfished him all day and didnt fish any bait.

Jigged up some small dhu, breaksea, sargent baker, foxfish, skippy, small pinks etc.

Was forecasted to be nice in the morning and pick up to windy in the afternoon.

Made the call at 1ish to steam out to the fads and try our luck as the wind hadnt picked up yet

Trolled till probably 3ish at the fads with a couple small hits and no results,  so decided to drift the fads and try our luck casting.

Rocked up to the fads and there were mahi freejumping everywhere, all of decent size.

Slowly drifted up, me chucking stickbaits and dad floating down baits,

Once we drifted close enough, the mahi were everywhere underneath the boat and hitting lures like nothing ive ever seen before.

Endless mahi swimming around, and seeing several big mahi with their heads out of the water chasing down a stickbait on the surface was unreal.

Dad caught 1 little mahi on the bait (75cmish) before i handed him my pe4 setup with a stickbait. 

Kept 6 mahi all 110+ , as had a big dinner the next night and had many people to feed.

Released probably another 30 big mahi, left the fish biting at probably 5:30 to try and make it home without being too late.

Running away from the dying sun we made our steam back in 25kn winds, cold and wet, but absolutely blown away by the fishing that we had just witnessed.

We were back at the ramp by 8 and had plenty of stories to tell the friends the following day.

Cheers, Josh.

Image Upload: 

Date Joined: 29/03/13

So good!

Fri, 2022-11-04 23:14

What a session 

Down the Line

Catch the Experience 

davewillo's picture

Date Joined: 08/09/16

Great report Josh. I hope to

Mon, 2022-11-07 10:35

Great report Josh. I hope to find the mahi that fired up one day!

PGFC member and lure tragic

Da pirate's picture

Date Joined: 03/05/15

Nice ..

Mon, 2022-11-07 10:51

Nice one . Well done champion.

cheers pirate  

Date Joined: 24/10/22

Cheers guys,

Tue, 2022-11-08 08:01

Cheers guys hope to get out there sometime soon 

ps: we did almost a dozen trips out to the fads prior to this one with no mahi

davewillo's picture

Date Joined: 08/09/16

We got fish most times we

Tue, 2022-11-08 10:35

We got fish most times we went there this season but they were hard work at times. The key is to get there early and if you can do it on a weekday then even better.

PGFC member and lure tragic