Fishing Report 28/2/10

With a break in the weather forecast, my sister’s boyfriend and I decided to head out and find some fish. Heading out the water was glassy. We stopped at the first spot to do a bit of popping. On the first cast my popper was annihilated by a school of large Queenies. We spent the next hour or so playing with these acrobatic fish and Matty even managed a nice GT on his barra gear. By 8am we decided we deserved our first beer.

After that we went out wide to find some bottom fish over the high tide. We had decided the night before that we weren’t going to take any bait. And just persist with artificial all day. On the sounder we saw that our first lump was holding some fish so I dropped down a softie and was rewarded with a nice trout.

We trawled over to our second lump and managed two Spaniards, one just over size. And the one pictured bellow. The second lump held small cod a flag and another smaller trout.

By this stage we were both dehydrated and exhausted so we headed in. as we got into the archipelago, the weather was atrocious and the whole place had turned into a big sloppy mess. A very different place to out wide. It’s amazing how a few miles can make a difference in the weather.

It’s also good to note that no matter how far out you go, even if you can’t see land. There is always some one that will see you fishing and come and anchor right next to you…  

I live with fear every day... sometimes she lets me go fishing.

Lucky Tim's picture

Date Joined: 28/11/07

nice day out Webby and good

Mon, 2010-03-01 10:51

nice day out Webby and good to see the placcy trout too. I got bricked by a big one only a few days ago, they're a great fish when they get up to the bigger sizes.

Shame about the pingers but at least your freezer is going to look healthier.
ps and some good photos too

carnarvonite's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/07

Gregarious

Mon, 2010-03-01 12:12

With the pinger,I sometimes think they are gregarious and cannot stand to be alone in the big wide ocean.Bastards,I know how you feel,remember fishing on a lump north of Koks island when this prick dropped anchor no more than 30 feet from us and yelled out that it looked like someone else beside him knew of the lump.

Good report and some good fish caught.

Goodz's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/09

Nice fish Webby! Love the

Mon, 2010-03-01 12:43

Nice fish Webby! Love the trout on SP!

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

good report

Mon, 2010-03-01 15:25

Good report Webby, looks like a fun session.

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

Bodie's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/07

nice fish Sloppy mess was an

Tue, 2010-03-02 07:30

nice fish

Sloppy mess was an under statement... we were on our way back from the monte's and got 20 mile out from the islands and got hit with those NE winds..... the centre console spent much of that last 20 mile out of the water, as we were travelling through it at 25-28 knots! but rough as guts.

The monte's was PERFECT weather, Ive never seen anything like it. 3 days of calm calm seas, no swell, no wind.

report to come :)

Craig Pearse's picture

Date Joined: 04/01/09

Nice one Webby ,I do miss

Tue, 2010-03-02 08:37

Nice one Webby ,I do miss Dampier

Brucesta's picture

Date Joined: 29/05/09

where's my invite?!?! haha.

Tue, 2010-03-02 10:22

where's my invite?!?! haha. I got out on Saturday with a workmate and it wasn't as calm as that! We copped the same thing getting into the archipelago as well just chop and slop but more predictable out wide.

I'm hoping to put some photos up of the weekends trip soon once i hear from Damo

Las Vegas - Rolling the dice and trying your luck. 1M+ Barra summer target. 100kg Black Marlin winter target

Webby's picture

Date Joined: 24/09/08

Sorry brucey, wasn't my boat

Tue, 2010-03-02 15:17

Sorry brucey, wasn't my boat and first time out with matt so didn't want to push my luck. cant wait for your post.

I live with fear every day... sometimes she lets me go fishing.

damo6230's picture

Date Joined: 07/06/08

good day out webby

Tue, 2010-03-02 11:12

as for wind it's certainly this end of town.......

we had to sit close Sunday as the easterlies just haven't stopped....

bring on autumn with it's windless days and jigging out wide.

nice CT on SP