Furuno 295 problem

A friend of mine has a Furuno 295 with a 200B-8B transducer mounted at the back of his Razerline. He is absolutely meticulous about equipment and its maintenance.
On Saturday 29th Nov. we were in about 20 meters off City Beach. Clear skies. In such shallow water my friend decided to reduce pulse length to Short 1. Minutes later when he touched the gain control all sounder function was lost. One could just make out some details on a very dark screen. Bottom was lost.
The unit, bought in Perth, is 3 years old and to date had functioned perfectly. This was the first time he had manually altered the pulse length.
The 295 was taken to the experts. The main board and another were "blown".
The fuses were still in tact.
He has been told it was a surge problem.
He has been advised that in future he should have a surge protector.
Questions
If it was a surge why are his fuses still in tact
If it was a surge would one not expect to see his GPS give a hiccough at the time
Do members have surge protectors installed
Anyone experienced similar problems with a 295
My friend is up for a new unit and understandably is not a happy camper

Would really appreciate any input from those with electronic knowledge

Date Joined: 14/12/14

Hey Sealure Fuses are

Wed, 2014-12-17 11:00

Hey Sealure

Fuses are designed to protect circuits against over current situations. For instance, when a shortcircuit occurs in a circuit, too much current flows and the fuse melts to protect the rest of the circuit. Fuses are relatively slow reaction devices because the fuse wire needs to carry enough current to heat it up sufficiently to melt the fuse element. Voltage transient spikes and surges are very quick changes in the supply voltage which happen at a much much faster rate than a fuse can react to.

In short, unless a voltage surge happens for a long enough time to cause an elevated current flow that is enough to blow a the rated fuse, a simple fuse in-line with the power is not enough to protect a unit against voltage spikes and brief surges that may be produced by alternators (fitted in the engines) or generators if the electronics are connected to the same battery bank.

I would always recommend using a voltage surge suppressor or, even better, a power conditioner to clean the supply up a bit and remove any spikes, surges or dips that are very often present in marine situations.

Good luck!

sealure's picture

Date Joined: 19/05/12

Furuno 295 problem

Wed, 2014-12-17 12:21

Thanks for that
Merry XMas

Paul H's picture

Date Joined: 18/01/07

Barra 81,That's all correct

Wed, 2014-12-17 12:48

Barra 81,

That's all correct but how much would you expect to pay for one?  and how large an item would each be (conditioner in particular) so far as practicality of installation??

I take it you would place this on the main + wire going TO the bus board or otherwise switchboard supplying power to electronics etc.

I don't disagree at all with your explanation but in all my experience I have never come across a surge protector or conditioner on a trailer boat so I find it curious from that perspective (Larger cruisers etc obviously a different kettle).

Cheers

Paul

Youtube Channel  -  FishOnLine Productions

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbUVNa-ViyGm_FTDSv4Nqzg/videos

Hey PaulPower conditioners

Wed, 2014-12-17 15:11

Hey Paul

Power conditioners come in many sizes and power ratings (current ratings). You can use one small one for a particular piece of equipment, or a much larger one that can run an array of electronics. Intervolt make a decent range of power conditioners at different current ratings and prices to suit the installation.

Obviously, the higher the current rating of the conditioner, the larger the physical size, but a typical 7 amp Intervolt power conditioner can fit into your back pocket and isn't expensive, relatively speaking.

A larger 20 amp power conditioner can be fitted before a set of breakers that is used solely for house electronics is another way of doing things, but often I have also seen installations where one smaller conditioner was used for each piece of electronics that the owner wanted to protect. 

I'm surprised to hear you mention that you've never come across a power conditioner on a trailer because personally I encounter them on about 50% of the boats I see and I'd love to see more and more of them used. We'd all love a perfect marine electronics environment where there is a dedicated house bank of batteries separate from the engine starter batteries, but unfortunately, this isn't always the case. In these installations, in particular, I think a power conditioner is absolutely the way to go to protect one's investment in marine electronics.

Cheers

Hey PaulPower conditioners

Wed, 2014-12-17 15:11

Hey Paul

Power conditioners come in many sizes and power ratings (current ratings). You can use one small one for a particular piece of equipment, or a much larger one that can run an array of electronics. Intervolt make a decent range of power conditioners at different current ratings and prices to suit the installation.

Obviously, the higher the current rating of the conditioner, the larger the physical size, but a typical 7 amp Intervolt power conditioner can fit into your back pocket and isn't expensive, relatively speaking.

A larger 20 amp power conditioner can be fitted before a set of breakers that is used solely for house electronics is another way of doing things, but often I have also seen installations where one smaller conditioner was used for each piece of electronics that the owner wanted to protect. 

I'm surprised to hear you mention that you've never come across a power conditioner on a trailer because personally I encounter them on about 50% of the boats I see and I'd love to see more and more of them used. We'd all love a perfect marine electronics environment where there is a dedicated house bank of batteries separate from the engine starter batteries, but unfortunately, this isn't always the case. In these installations, in particular, I think a power conditioner is absolutely the way to go to protect one's investment in marine electronics.

Cheers

Paul H's picture

Date Joined: 18/01/07

Cheers - pretty sure my mate

Wed, 2014-12-17 16:28

Cheers - pretty sure my mate has one on his 8m now I think about it as he runs fridges etc.  Possibly haven't seen them myself due to not having a huge involvement of the wiring side so just not looking for them.

certainly not one on my boat (5m) but will look into it. Mainly got me thinking that some well documented problems with Lowrance HDS having issues losing the bottom for periods may be related to a small surge/spike, makes a bit of sense with the issue.

Cheers

Youtube Channel  -  FishOnLine Productions

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbUVNa-ViyGm_FTDSv4Nqzg/videos

Date Joined: 21/05/12

could u give us aname of a

Wed, 2014-12-17 21:07

could u give us aname of a make or a link to some surge proteters suitable for sounders 3-5a barra

Hey Shark1Without breaking

Thu, 2014-12-18 08:43

Hey Shark1

Without breaking any forum rules, I can highly recommend the Intervolt range of power conditioners. I have used these on many installations and they do the job nicely.

Google the name to bring up the website and you can view their range of power conditioners. There may be different brand out there though which a quick Google will probably reveal.

Cheers!

scottnofish's picture

Date Joined: 28/08/07

I recently had a charge reg crap itself

Thu, 2014-12-18 09:53

I replaced it with a cheap after market reg and had nothing but problems with the engine shuting down turned out that the cheap reg was letting large spikes through causing my ecu to reset shuting the engine down .now I run a fcv 295 plus other electronics and have had no problems with my sounder so I would have thought that if the spike was large enough to fry the sounder you would have had some other symptoms or damage to something else aswell  

Possibly, but not

Thu, 2014-12-18 10:17

Possibly, but not necessarily. 

I had a power failure at home last year where the power tripped out a few times in a minute and when it came back on the lights dimmed a few times and my TV flickered a bit. Everything survived except my PC power supply which cooked itself and I had to buy a new one. Electronics.....gotta love 'em! 

sealure's picture

Date Joined: 19/05/12

Furuno 295 problem

Thu, 2014-12-18 10:25

Hi Barra 81
I've been watching your comments with a lot of interest. Like Scottnofish I'm finding it difficult to understand why we didn't at least see some kind of hiccough in the GPS if the surge was enough to fry the 295. I guess it's as you say Electronics.......gotta love 'em.

Hey Sealure Maybe it did,

Thu, 2014-12-18 11:26

Hey Sealure

Maybe it did, but it would have happened so quickly that I doubt you'd see it. Besides, GPS receivers use dampening and averaging when calculating positions and speed and a split second interruption in reception of GPS satellite data wouldn't affect operation.