Furuno FCV627 issue

Last time out the Furuno FCV627 failed to power up. Took head unit to Furuno/Taylor Marine in Henderson & they put in on their power cable and they tell me it powered up no problems so therefore the cable was the issue. Bought (~$150) & installed new cable. Head unit still wouldn't power up.
Multi-metered cables at fuses 12.77V, fuses fine, cut some small wire and inserted into cable end connection points (see diagram 7+ & 8-) still 12.77V. Contact cleaned the head unit connection pins, & they all appear to be fine. Anyone experienced this or can offer some fault finding I ain't already done?

There's 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those that can't.

Image Upload: 

Date Joined: 09/11/06

connect to battery

Thu, 2024-05-09 16:23

have you tried connecting the cable dirrectly to a battery to see if it powers up . this would eliminate the cable if it powers up . if so then the problem is with power supply or earth in boat wiring .

Date Joined: 14/05/13

Volt drop under load

Fri, 2024-05-10 09:46

Hope this makes sense.

Where you have connected your new lead (terminals or crimps or hopefully solder) bare both +ve and -ve back and have voltmeter here.

Plug in Furuno and power up - watch the volts when you hit the power button. I am predicting big volt drop due to shitty connection somewhere - can be either pos or neg wiring.

You can read good volts and then when current flows the shitty connection will heat up and no power will pass thru.

Cheers

duges66's picture

Date Joined: 07/03/12

Turns out it was an ID10T

Tue, 2024-05-14 16:05

Turns out it was an ID10T fault of my doing. The 12.77V was actually -12.77V as I'd connected the wires arse about. Thanks guys as when I was about to action your tips is when I noticed it. Moral of the story? Don't let an ex glazier/rigger/crane op turned prodie do your electrical jobs. Haha.

There's 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those that can't.