Gillies Ocktapus Jig 150g

Im new to jigging and have seen all the posts that have appeared lately with the big arse dhueys and snapper with jigs hanging out of their mouths. I notice that no one seems to use the octopus shaped jigs - are they any good, just interested to know as it was the first jig i bought at BCF when I decided to do a bit of jigging. So far ive only used the long metal fish shaped jigs and done good on sambo's out at the barges. So what about the octo jigs are they ok for demersals or not the jig of choice for dhueys or snapper?   

cudbfishn's picture

Date Joined: 06/04/09

Ive used them with success

Wed, 2013-08-07 16:18

Ive used them with success but I would prefer a pirate style over the octojigs, and a large plastic over both. But you cant beat the metal jigs once you technique/confidence gets better.

Auslobster's picture

Date Joined: 03/05/08

If you have a good baldie spot....

Wed, 2013-08-07 17:09

...the octos are deadly, just leave it hanging above the bottom and the boat movement does all the work. And my experience has shown the Gillies version to be the cheapest and most effective....the Lucanus and Bay Rubbers will get fish also, but are dearer...

dumper's picture

Date Joined: 03/04/08

+1 way better than the

Thu, 2013-08-08 10:31

+1 way better than the lucanus jigs

dkonig82's picture

Date Joined: 06/07/10

I personally have never seen

Thu, 2013-08-08 09:56

I personally have never seen one catch a fish that was worth catching, but others have.

Lucanus I have seen catch a few decent fish though

When asked by a non-fisherman 'how many fishing rods do you really need?' the correct answer is either:

n+1 (where n is the number of fishing rods you currently own); or

n-1 (where n is the number of fishing rods which would cause your significant other to dump you. 

Habanero's picture

Date Joined: 19/06/12

Ditto

Thu, 2013-08-08 17:23

As  aus lobster said , that is the best way to fish em....they are great in Fiji for the coronation but as the others say the lucanus whilst being twice the price do seem to produce the results ......

Date Joined: 20/10/12

Just watch out for the

Tue, 2013-08-13 12:10

Just watch out for the leather jackets...... They have a field day on the Octo jig skirts

I love animals.. They are so tasty...

jighead's picture

Date Joined: 03/02/12

Was on a charter at the

Tue, 2013-08-13 15:51

Was on a charter at the abrolhos islands a while back and the pink snapper were grabbing baits as soon as they touched down so I tried one of these octo jigs, working it as I had been advised and it did not get touched. That was enough proof for me that they are shit.

Date Joined: 01/02/10

Won a bottom fishing comp in

Tue, 2013-08-13 16:35

Won a bottom fishing comp in Hedland a few years ago using nothing but. Caught a few crackers over the last few years leaving the rod in the holder until its taken.

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?