Guides for a Calstar 600L

Hi guys

Looking for some advice from anyone who has a Calstar 600L or similar for an overhead. I will be using this rod as my go-to gear for most light jigging and bottom fishing with 30lb braid.

What style of Fuji guides and tip would you recommend? Also, in regards to binding the guides, is double overbinding sufficient?

Looking forward to any assistance.

Cheers
Brad

I did then the best that I knew how. When I knew better, I did better.

Nealez's picture

Date Joined: 08/05/06

MNSG guides, underbind and

Mon, 2010-11-15 06:36

MNSG guides, underbind and double overbind

Date Joined: 08/01/09

As nealz suggests

Mon, 2010-11-15 08:20

they are the sillicon carbide insert or go the BMNAG which is the alconite version with a sillicon carbide tip. Yep under and double overbind in A grade and finish with 2 or 3 coats of Jack Erskine Epoxy. Remember to file the bump off the foot of the guide so that it is nice an smooth and the thread can travel up and over it smoothly

FEEEISH ONNN!!!

bradz's picture

Date Joined: 29/10/07

Guides

Mon, 2010-11-15 08:27

Thanks for the reply guys.

I was originally thinking of the MNSG's but may consider the BMNAG's to help keep the cost down a bit. Do you lose much in performance going from Silicon to Alconites?

Last question, what size guides and tip would you use.

Cheers
Brad

Date Joined: 08/01/09

In short no

Mon, 2010-11-15 11:39

you dont loose much peformance. It is worth going the sillicon tip though regardless. If you can afford it go the sillicons. Size of guides depends on the type and size of reel you are going to run. A rough guide though would be 1 x 25, 1x 20, 1x16, 1x12, and 2x 10 with a size 10 tip or 1x25, 1x20, 1x16, 1x12, 1x10, 2x8 and a no 8 tip. Alternately if you are using a smaller reel that isnt very wide you might get away with a size 20 stripper and add an extra 10 0r 8 size guide. Havent had much to do with the 600L but if it has a fast taper you may find you will need the 7 guides. Tape em on, run some line through em and load the rod up. make sure the line doesnt touch the blank. you can moove your guides acordingly by undoing the tape and shuffling the guides.

FEEEISH ONNN!!!

bradz's picture

Date Joined: 29/10/07

Guides

Mon, 2010-11-15 12:44

Yep, I will definitely get the Silicon tip.

The reel is a Penn Torque 100, so not very wide at all.

Cheers for all of the advise again guys.

Regards
Brad