Lots of action, Sailfish and Marlin pics! Costa Rica Fishing Report July August 2010

Here's a quick pick of me, the mate and the 32 foot Ocean Master named 'Stress Reeliever' we fish and love!

Fishing  Reports:

August 6, 2010

Sailfish, Amberjacks and Snapers are the story of August so far. Usually in August there aren't that many sailfish around, as our season in November through May. I can only imagine how good the season will be this year having so many billfish in the off season! In addition to the unusually great billfishing, the bottom has been really hot! It has made trips super interesting because we have been bottom fishing in the mornings while we collect live bait, and then have been trolling in the afternoons for billfish. It has been pretty successful, and we have been averaging at least a sailfish per day, with tons and tons of other nice fish while we fish on the bottom.We had had many days of over 20 nice fish to the boat! We have also been seeing tons and tons of little Dorado coming through.  That should mean by mid October, we will start having the bulls come in and everybody knows how great Dorado season is here! We've got the spinning reels all oiled up waiting for Dorado, and we are looking for people who like to hook one and then see how many we can have on at the same time. Last year, we had five on multiple times so this year we need to have a 6 at once! It's going to be an awesome winter here, I can't wait!

August 1, 2010

There has been some great fishing this July. The bottom fishing has been especially good, and there have been lots of Sails, Tuna and Dorado out. We have been spending the first half of our days hitting the bottom and racking up on reel time. There are a couple of spots that no matter what you drop down, you are hooked up to something. Lots of Amberjacks, quite a few Cuberas, and quite a few big red Snappers as well. We have been averaging 15-20 fish to the boat in the morning. In the afternoons, we have been filling up the tuna tubes with live bait and sail hunting. We are hooking at least one per trip, and there have been some Dorado out as well. We had a trip on the 2nd where instead of doing the bottom we went out looking for tuna and ended up with 20 YF in the 25-40 pound range. We ended that day with a sailfish as well. Not as many Marlin out as I thought, but plenty of everything else. Much better than the typical August, and I expect September to be good as well.  Another great month of fishing here in Sunny and Oil-Free Costa Rica!

June 22, 2010

Sorry for the lack of reports.  I pulled my boat out of the water to do some quick repairs and keep finding things I want to do. We've got her all polished up inside and out, new bottom paint, fixed some breaks in the tower, and freshened up the motor. I probably have about a week left, and man I miss the water! Since I have run over with the b.o.a.t. updates (Bring Out Another Thousand), I have been sending trips to different friends and the fishing has been pretty good. Lots of Marlin out, including the one caught above. Out on the 26 banks, there have been quite a few Wahoo. There have also been schools of Yellow fin that run through the area and about 3-4 times a week they have been coming across big schools. On some of the trips I sent out this week, they had a day this last week with 4 sails, and they also had a double Marlin day. Inshore has been slow, but should come back soon. I think it would be better if I had been out there, as I really enjoy hunting for Roosters! If you went out in the last couple of weeks with a boat from Quepos, from me or otherwise, email me your pictures and I'll stick em up here. Hopefully, I'll get this boat back in the water and I can get the camera going again! Overall fishing offshore has been good though, so if you're coming in on vacation and want to reel in something big for dinner, now's the time!

John Schuchert  32' Ocean Master

Quepos, Costa Rica

www.QueposFishAdventure.com

Date Joined: 27/11/09

Awesome

Sat, 2010-08-14 05:46

Brilliant mate...wish I was there!