Penn Applause 6000 Mini Review

The Penn Applause 6000

My old Bando sx4000 was on its way out so I decided it was time for an upgrade. I wanted a similar sized reel and the one chosen was a penn applause 6000. The Applause lives up to its name, penn have really out done themselves with this one. It features a full metal "Tuff Body" which makes it a bit heavier than some reels (i think its around 580g from memory) but you can be assured the extra weight gives it unbeatable strength.

Infinite anti-reverse is pretty much a standard in reels and the applause is no exception with no backslap at all in the reel. I got this reel for 2 purposes, light boat fishing and spinning lures from shore. Matched with a fast taper 6ft rod for the boat and a 9ft graphite rod of spinning lures from shore.

The reel was spooled with 20lb sufix braid and took around 275 meters plus about 50 meters monofiliment backing.

Ive had the reel for about 6 months now and am still impressed by its features. It has landed anything from big goldens up north to snapper and tailor in the metro area. I highly recommend the reel to anyone looking at a tough smooth reel for around the $150 mark.

pennapplause

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

Nice reel

Fri, 2005-10-28 08:31

Looks pretty sweet mate... Always impressed by the penn products, nice review!

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

poida's picture

Date Joined: 08/08/05

Hey Shizz, how many meter's

Sun, 2005-10-30 20:24

Hey Shizz, how many meter's does it retrieve p/turn, thinking of a 2nd reel to back up the 8500ss and struggling to find better value than another 8500ss. Fast retrieval would be great though!

SHizz's picture

Date Joined: 07/08/05

5.1 ratio . There is a 7000

Sun, 2005-10-30 20:45

5.1 ratio . There is a 7000 tho which would be more appropriate for what you want. Ive heard some guys using these up at steep and handling it fine too .

mitch's picture

Date Joined: 14/08/05

internals

Mon, 2005-10-31 00:11

always in it just the depth that varies

shizz

ive thrashed the guts out of a few reals ,the drags have still done the bizz,

end of the DAY allou cast internals suck . dosnt matter how well you  look arfter them when ya onto major opponents , i.e p.b fish

look arfter my fightn gear like they grew of me rib  bone

has this real got the staying power

i.e stainless gears,not just a million ballbearings up its arse

i wont to replace my little high speed  egg beeter ! treat it like family ,but my fishing tripps last a week or so  with no fresh wash down  

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

Reels

Mon, 2005-10-31 10:13

Most reels that I have that don't get a freshwater washdown end up going to the dogs after a couple of weeks.. Make it a habit now to wash them the second after getting back from fishing, even with bottled water if necessary..

I know the little penn I've got isn't stainless, because I took it for a swim at blackwall reach and even washing and rinsing it out heaps of times couldn't save the poor guy, still works, but it has some nice grinding sounds when the drag runs, lol.

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

poida's picture

Date Joined: 08/08/05

Whats the retrieval rate

Mon, 2005-10-31 19:59

Whats the retrieval rate shizz. My 850 gets 1.1m/turn and wondering what the appaluse gets. Ratio is dependant on spool size so high ratio's are good but always wonder what they get back on the spool???