Port Gregory - Exmouth 2011

Well where to start

Spent almost 3 weeks up at port gregory and Exmouth.

First 8 days were at port gregory just south of Kalbarri.

Interesting time there, alot of wind

Drove up on the saturday arriving late saturday afternoon. Un-eventful drive, which is the best way to have it!

Sunday was going to be the first day on the water, and the weather was looking good. As it was a beach launch i was very hesitant to launch my boat (being 3.5 tonne) so decided we would launch the razorline 23fter that day to see how the beach launch was.

Was a piece of cake with this boat, and was launched using a cruiser ute so problems.

First day was just a bit of a play, taking the girls along for a drive to see what was about.

We only trolled about, but did manage to land a cracking first trout on lure, only about 1km from the launch!

Once back at the caravan park, spoke to a few locals about the prospects of launching my console from the beach. The consensus was, piece of cake with the assistance of the towns biggest tractor.

Against my better judgement decided to give it a go.

Getting down along the beach was a piece of care, barely dug in at all, but once reaching the water line, that was a different story!

She sunk!

Every minute it sat there, the worse it got!

We tried in vain to get her to move, even with a 2nd tractor, max tracks the lot, but it was just not going to happen. The only option was to wait for the tide to rise and pull her off backwards with another boat. (tide would not rise high enough to float her off) Ended up taking the transducer off just to be safe

We were fastly becoming the talk of the towm, and every local wanted to come for a look!

Actually came off easier than i expected. The end result 4 hours later! atleast no damage was done!

Finally on the move!

Since we had missed most of the good weather decided to stay inside the reef and play with the light gear.

Scano with a little baldie

A nice little trout

A few more smaller fish were caught, and a few good fish lost to the reef that day

The next couple of days the weather was crap, howling 25-30knot easterlies, turning 25knot southerlies.

After a couple of relaxing days (mainly drinking beer) we decided we couldnt sit around any longer and had to put up with the wind.

Spent a little while going over the gps charts to find some ground, found a rise which looked interesting about 10 mile out, and the next morning headed to it.

To say it was rough was an udnerstatement. Only took the Fury out, as the ali boat would have stuggled. It was 38 degrees and the 2 deckes were wearing rain jackets! For the first 20 minutes or so it was a battle to just see from all the water coming over the side, as we were side on to the easterly.

We pushed on, finally making the 12 mile out, not cracking 1 knot above 20 knots the whole way!

What was to come was fishing chaos, no sooner than 10 seconds of the lines hitting the bottom, everyone was on. Pinkys, baldies, dhuies, trout, and a surpirse cobia too!

double header

Photos were a little hard to take given the conditions

Only fished for maybe 45 minutes before we had enough for a feed and time to head in. Coming in was fun following the southerly. Chop would have been easily 6-7 foot! needless to say we burnt some serius fuel in those conditions.

Scanos cobia

The next day was pretty much the same, windy as hell and we pushed out again to the same grounds. Fishing was just as crazy, with large numbers of fish coming over the side, we were only fishing in 15022m of water! I did score another nice dhu of around 6 kgs, but also some more baldies, trout, and BIG sambos.

This one i managed to land on a plastic after busting off on 3 or 4 prior on PE4, guessed 20-25kgs?

Bloody hard work in shallow water!

The other boat decided to stay inside the reef this day, and play with the light gear. Not too many pictures of fish, however this photo is of a 6-12lb Samuri running 8lb on the certate! man these rods are awesome, look at the bend! hooked to a 5ft shark which was boated. The 2nd rod in the pic is also a samuri which was hooked to the same shark

The last day decided to drive up to Kalbarri with the boat, rather than try retrieve on the beach after the fun of launching! did manage to get the razorline out no problems. We did have all the gear including mats for the trailer.

The drive up on the water to Kalbarri was amazing. Seeing the reefs of Luckybay, and the cliffs of Kalbarri from the water was sensational.

some of the ground we found in shallow water was holding huge numbers of fish, however we only had our trolling gear, and managed to troll up this mackeral

Couple pics of the troll, teasers in and all

The result

Made it to Kalbarri, after being attacked by a swarm of whasps! stange being a few mile off shore.

That river mouth is fun!!! the swell wasnt very big, but geez I'd hate to go through it when it is!

Made it back no probs, packed and off to Exmouth.

Still got more photos from Exmouth to come but here is a few.

the Razorline went home, and a 2nd boat joined us in Exmouth, which was a 9m Protector.

These are some pics during the comp, especially the last day.

Some bling

Early morning start

Scanos 73cm trout, which lost the comp by 2cms i think, on the first drop. and no Adam its not the lucky tim spot, its the lucky scano spot! :)

Nice spango, as you can see conditions were horrible!

Mate frank hooked up to his first decent fish of the trip!

the result

The boys dropping on the spot that ended up being the hottest 2 hour fishing session i think any of us have had

Conditions sucked!

Bundegi on the Monday of the comp

Another trout from earlier in the week. Think first day in Exmouth

All in All we had a ball in Exmouth, some 20 cartons of beer, good fishing, besides a couple of crap days.

Looking forward to next year

More pics to come

Bodie

Ryan C's picture

Date Joined: 08/07/10

awesome

Thu, 2011-04-21 11:21

good report mate and some good fish well done!! youve certainly made sure i wont be beach launching my 26'c/c any time soon!!  cheers

MattMiller's picture

Date Joined: 15/06/09

Good stuff mate

Thu, 2011-04-21 11:24

great trip that one, not something you get to do everyday.

Those cliffs and Wagoe are certainly a sight to see from the water, spectacular.

After the trouble at the beach it's good to see you got onto some good fish, well done

Bodie's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/07

to be honest i expected the

Thu, 2011-04-21 11:30

to be honest i expected the trouble with launching, but stupidly i agreed to try!!

Ah well, was a good adventure anyway!

Wouldnt count Port gregory out for another trip somewher ein the future, the fishing has the potential to be sensational! but might launch at Kalbarri and drive up next time, its only 35mile afterall!

scottnofish's picture

Date Joined: 28/08/07

Thing when beach lanching is

Thu, 2011-04-21 12:35

get the boat ready un tied and ready to launch before your in the water that way its back in un clip just before the waters edge then in and out without stoping, as soon as you stop in the water you start sinking ,same with retreiving, drive the boat on as your backing in clip on the winch cable and start driving out finish winching once your out the water

Lucky Tim's picture

Date Joined: 28/11/07

I know where that hot spot

Thu, 2011-04-21 11:49

I know where that hot spot is. Some good fish and that last one was a great day on the water. Once we left you guys we got 4 wahoo out a little wider.

Last year we went to the Abrohlos and were considering launching at Gregory but am glad we chose Gero after seeing those pics. 

Date Joined: 27/12/06

nice report

Thu, 2011-04-21 12:24

can sympathise with getting the boat and car stuck.  I had to get recoverd by a tractor once.  not a good feeling but there is always a lesson learnt.  good to see some good fish boated. and witha much smaller boat than yours

Bodie's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/07

No cars stuck for us, only

Thu, 2011-04-21 12:30

No cars stuck for us, only the trailer!!

DazSamFishing's picture

Date Joined: 19/08/09

nice report. Those small

Thu, 2011-04-21 20:52

nice report. Those small hiccups just add to the fun of DIY trips!

glastronomic's picture

Date Joined: 16/02/11

Very nice  and informative

Thu, 2011-04-21 21:11

Very nice  and informative report.

Very nice boat.

This competition, could become very popular, especially with good reports like this.

Well done.

grantarctic1's picture

Date Joined: 03/03/11

Good to see help arived

Thu, 2011-04-21 21:21

Nice report and pic's, Great to see help was not too far away, Fisho's are the best people when your in trouble, they always seem to give a helping hand.

PattyT's picture

Date Joined: 15/08/10

Great report mate! Some

Fri, 2011-04-22 06:57

Great report mate! Some awesome pics too.

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

bogit bodie

Fri, 2011-04-22 08:13

Great photos mate, wasn't that last day of the comp just horrible!! :)

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

Date Joined: 19/10/10

Hey BodieWho tried to pull

Fri, 2011-04-22 08:18

Hey Bodie

Who tried to pull you out with the Tractor at Port Gregory? Was it Brian, Reg or Steve? I use those guys mouring when I'm up there. I have not had any trouble beach launching there but mine is only 2 tonne but those guys are always offering me to help so the landcruiser doesn't get full of saltwater. Top Guys!!!! Did you put yours on the trailer every night or get a mouring?

Date Joined: 08/05/09

Thanks for the report

Fri, 2011-04-22 09:55

I am heading off on a 3 week fishing trip next fri . First stop is port Gregory . I will be launching a baron sportsman , hopefully a little easier with a heaps smaller boat (I had no problems at cervantes). I am glad that you had good things to say about port G as it was not my first choice of fishing spots but due to a mix up with accomodation I have no choice . Hopefully I do as well as you .

Next stop is Denham and final stop is exmouth .

abeldog's picture

Date Joined: 12/04/10

Hey Bodie

Fri, 2011-04-22 16:56

You said it was a journey, didn't realise it was an expedition.

Well done over that period

"People See Things As They Are & Ask Why???

We Can All Dream of Things That Never Were and Ask Why Not!!"( RK )