stradic 6000fh

i have recently purchased a stradic 6000fh and was wondering if
anyone can give me some feedback on its capabilities.is loaded with 300 yds of 30lb spectra superline and using with a penn reflex 5-10kg.was planning on using for trolling and bottom bouncing.is this sufficient
enough if i hook into something decent?

Kasey L.'s picture

Date Joined: 02/03/06

depends whats decent

Tue, 2006-08-15 15:15

depends whats decent ;)

should be alright for pinkies and stuff in mayybe up to 40m comfortably, and trolling small-ish mackies and tuna.

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

Stradic

Tue, 2006-08-15 15:26

A few of the other FW boys have got stradic 8000's, use them for a lot of species comfortably. Hopefully they could help you out with what they have caught on them and what it could most likely handle.

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

Date Joined: 20/07/05

Gday bibs, ive got the 8000

Tue, 2006-08-15 17:00

Gday bibs, ive got the 8000 and love it to bits caught sambos, pinkys and tuna with it and only had it a short time. Although was a little disappointed when i broke the handle on my first fish in exmouth but got to love that shimano warranty, also impressed with the speed they spin at makes for effortless spinning.
a more than capable reel.
cheers bolts.

SHizz's picture

Date Joined: 07/08/05

i'd say for snapper and

Tue, 2006-08-15 18:49

i'd say for snapper and dhuhies it would do the job, but there is better reels out there, its just a tad on the small side if your planning to do alot of bottom bouncing or trolling. If its just now and then it would do it fine as they are tough reels and a pleasure to use.

If i was you, id keep it for chucking floaters out the back of the boat and buy an overhead for bottom bouncing/trolling , even a Penn 330gti Combo will only set you back ~$175-200 and be perfect for fishing perth waters.

jay_burgess's picture

Date Joined: 18/08/05

Glad someone brought this

Tue, 2006-08-15 19:17

Glad someone brought this up... I'm also thinking of getting a 6000 size for bottom bouncing (twinpower 6000) and while I've heard nothing but good reports about it's performance I can't help but dwell on the fact that it may be a tad on the small size for constant bottom abuse.

While Saltigas and Stellas present a better option when it comes to bottom fishing, they're a tad expensive.

I've noticed that good quality overheads are a much cheaper option than quality spinners, can anyone comment on using overheads for bottom bouncing? A benefit would be that it could double as a trolling reel but I've already got a TLD for that purpose.

Andy Mac's picture

Date Joined: 03/02/06

Overhead V's Eggbeater

Tue, 2006-08-15 19:31

Jay, from my experience nothing beats an overhead for constant bottom bouncing. The fact that the line peels off directly from the spool reduces line twist in deep water whereas the eggbeaters are not quite as good, with the line leaving at right angles.

The overhead allows you to let line out constantly to maintain bottom during a drift without unecessary clicking of bail arms etc. Now when you have a big Dhuie or any other timid biting fish on the end you need to keep letting line off the spool. A quick flick of a lever and you can engage and disengage the spool so you keep maximum control over the bait/bottom/fish connection. Whilst an eggbeater will do the job it is nowhere near as good.

Again, purely my personal preference but if you are going bottom bouncing all day you want a rod/reel combo that doesn't weigh a tonne. I would consider dropping down from the very popular 330 to a 320 which have slightly less line capacity but heaps easier on the arms. When you fish from dawn till dusk in deep water its amazing how much difference the weight makes to how you feel at the end of the day.

If you are going to be jigging however I would recommend the eggbeater for hands down versitility and retrieve speed, which is a big bonus in certain circumstances.

I like to always have an eggbeater handy (ready rigged with a floater or a lure) to cast out to any passing pelagic. However the bottom gear is permanently affixed to the 320 (other similar sized reels would include the Abu 7000, the Okuma Convector and any number of other small penn reels.) I have had my eye on a left hand Avet, but the budget is a little tight right now.

Hope that sheds some light from a metro bottom bouncing perspective.

Cheers

Andy Mac

Cheers

Andy Mac (Fishwrecked Reeltime Editor & Forum Moderator)

Youngest member of the Fishwrecked Old Farts Club

big john's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/06

Avet SX 5:1

Tue, 2006-08-15 19:38

The new avet looks just the goods for light/medium bottom bouncing. Nice and robust, USA made, with a reasonably high speed ratio and an attractive price (seen them advertised at $285).

Has anyone given one of these a run yet?

WA based manufacturer and supplier of premium leadhead jigs, fligs, bucktail jigs, 'bulletproof' soft plastic jig heads and XOS bullet jig heads.

Jigs available online in my web store!

Date Joined: 01/01/70

Yeh I've got one John on my

Tue, 2006-08-15 19:54

Yeh I've got one John on my Jigmaster 30-50lb rod and like the reel but good for shallow water bottom bouncing & jigging up to 60m IMO

Cheers

** Oceanside = Van Staal, Avets, Jigmaster rods, etc...**

Owner/Operator
Oceanside Tackle and Marine
364 South Street,
O'Connor, Perth WA
Ph# 9337 5682
Fishing/Boating/Dive/Marine
** OPEN 7 DAYS **

jay_burgess's picture

Thanks Andy Mac for the

Tue, 2006-08-15 19:39

Thanks Andy Mac for the response, one other question however... I know from experience that the natural way a reel wants to sit is below the rod (gravity) so how do you go hanging on to an overhead all day - what I'm trying to say is, do you feel like you're constantly trying to fight with the reel to keep it upright ??

Andy Mac's picture

Reel spin

Tue, 2006-08-15 19:55

Jay, I think the lighter the overhead (another plug to stay light) the easier it is to control the reel in those situations. I can fish one handed with my thumb on the spool and the line disengaged without any problem. THe thumb on top helps control the reel and as long as you have the reel well matched to the rod, you should have no problem. I hear what you say with the bigger reels though as they do have a tendancy to slip sideways. I know I can't fish one handed with my larger Okuma lever drag or my 330 but I can with the 320 and the Convector. They might be small reels but they pull in some pretty big fish I can assure you.

Hmmmm decisions, decisions.

Cheers

Andy Mac

Cheers

Andy Mac's picture

Avet SX 5.1

Tue, 2006-08-15 20:01

Ryan, you know what I am going to ask you don;t you..............................................................................

Do they come in left hand wind without doubling the price?

Cheers

Andy Mac

Cheers

O/H for me!

Tue, 2006-08-15 20:02

I only use overheads for bottom fishing and with a rod bucket the rod doesn't move or twist around so all's good.

Despite me having quality spinning reels ie Stella(s) I wouldn't use them for heavy duty bottom fishing, you cant beat O/H and agree with Andy. For wear & tear the spinners do suffer a bit.....especially when you whack them into the side of the boat :(........stick to a good quality O/H bottom reel IMO

I've just bought the New Penn 16VSX 2 speed 80lb braid ready reel and it's one "mean machine" I gave it a big work out in Exmouth and stand by the quality so if you want the best.....check them out as they're gonna been on sale soon ;)

Owner/Operator
364 South Street,
O'Connor, Perth WA
Ph# 9337 5682
** OPEN 7 DAYS **

jay_burgess's picture

As much as I've got my heart

Tue, 2006-08-15 20:06

As much as I've got my heart set on a twinpower I'm beginning to think an overhead would probably suit my needs better in the short term and I might save the TP for sometime in the future...

Looked around (even before I considered the TP), and I had the shimano torium and daiwa saltist in mind as both look like good reels and fit into my budget nicely.

Can anyone comment on these reels... which one would be better?

PS.. sorry for hijacking your thread bibs.

Yeh they're!

Tue, 2006-08-15 20:11

Yeh they're available to my knowledge Andy in L/H, not sure in WA so I'll check tmoro and get back to you via PM!

Cheers

Owner/Operator
364 South Street,
O'Connor, Perth WA
Ph# 9337 5682
** OPEN 7 DAYS **

Both good!

Tue, 2006-08-15 20:17

Saltist is a good reel and I'm now stocking Daiwa as I've just done a deal with them, personally I prefer the Torium's but each to their own....... JMO

Let Honsu know what you decide on Jay, he'll look after you!

Owner/Operator
364 South Street,
O'Connor, Perth WA
Ph# 9337 5682
** OPEN 7 DAYS **

jay_burgess's picture

Thanks Ryan!

Tue, 2006-08-15 20:24

Quote:

Despite me having quality spinning reels ie Stella I wouldn't use them for heavy duty bottom fishing, you cant beat O/H and agree with Andy.

Thanks mate, I'm sure I'm making the right decision with an overhead after reading your advice ;)

Date Joined: 20/07/05

Could not agree more with

Tue, 2006-08-15 20:39

Could not agree more with Andy and Ryans comments. Overheads are the only way to go if u intend on using the reel for bottom bashing.
cheers bolts.

jay_burgess's picture

Thanks Bolts for the Advice

Tue, 2006-08-15 20:48

Thanks Bolts for the Advice !

funkybunch's picture

Date Joined: 25/07/05

I agree big John

Tue, 2006-08-15 21:29

Do yourself a favour and check out the avet... You will not be disappointed

honsu chin's picture

Date Joined: 20/09/05

Thats the

Tue, 2006-08-15 21:30

Thats the way.....see....plenty of excuses to buy more gear....coz U NEED IT....=)

That reminds me....I better order me Avet soon I might not even get one...judging by the rate we are selling them at.

**Oceanside = Van Staal, Avets, Jigmaster rods, etc... **

364 South Street,
O'Connor, Perth WA
Ph# 9337 5682
** OPEN 7 DAYS **

Kasey L.'s picture

i'd go in and say go with

Tue, 2006-08-15 23:47

i'd go in and say go with the overhead too ;)

I own a Stella, but it leaves me feeling inadequate when bottom bouncing... with the grunt of heaving sinkers up using an overhead, and letting a line out without fiddling with the bail arm..

Can't wait until I get my Shimano Jigger 4000 P. =) (Torsas cost too much, I give up!)

I also back the recommendations of the avet and saltist. and I'm a shimano man! =O

P.S. the 8000 and 6000 sizes for shimano spinning reels have the same body, just diff spools.... some trivia you might find useful someday...

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

Avet

Wed, 2006-08-16 08:59

From what I've seen the Avet looks bloody awesome. Handles big fish, isn't too big and cumbersome, plenty of drag, fair line capacity. Would definately be my next choice of reels to buy.

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

Dasho's picture

Date Joined: 24/03/06

i hooked onto a shark off

Thu, 2006-08-17 07:32

i hooked onto a shark off the ocean reef marina rocks bait casting mulies last summer on my stradic 4000....

....shark took off around the bend and i nearly close lined another angler. had images of that mad max movie when the guy gets his head cut off riding his bike through piano wire.

the dangers of fishing braided line, angry shark and a 4000 size reel to stop it on a flick rod.

honsu chin's picture

lol....now that U've got

Thu, 2006-08-17 09:36

lol....now that U've got that stella 20k with 80lb.....it wont be just the shark going round the bend.....=)

364 South Street,
O'Connor, Perth WA
Ph# 9337 5682
** OPEN 7 DAYS **

deefa's picture

Date Joined: 09/09/05

stradic 1000

Thu, 2006-08-17 10:38

While we're telling stradic stories, i thought i'd mention this one. The 4kg bone i got in exxy recently was on a 1000 stradic. Also recently nabbed an estimated 13kg mulla on a 2500 stradic loaded with 3.6kg fireline...

Damn, i love my straddies, got a few of em.... =)

well i decided the 6000 was

Fri, 2006-08-18 18:37

well i decided the 6000 was a bit small and upgraded
to the 8000.breakin it in at exmouth next week.thanks for all the advice

deefa's picture

Date Joined: 09/09/05

good luck.......

Fri, 2006-08-18 18:44

......for Exxy mate....

Shit of a place really.............

jay_burgess's picture

I thought the 8000 was the

Sat, 2006-08-19 09:41

I thought the 8000 was the same size only different spool?

Kasey L.'s picture

I'm pretty sure they are

Sat, 2006-08-19 14:47

I'm pretty sure they are Jay. With interchangeable spools, that have different line capacities.

Unless I am mistaken, and someone would like to correct me?

honsu chin's picture

Just to let you guys

Sat, 2006-08-19 19:02

Just to let you guys know......There's now a Stella 8000 with a slower gear ratio than the 6000, ie 5:1 instead of 5.7:1

364 South Street,
O'Connor, Perth WA
Ph# 9337 5682
** OPEN 7 DAYS **

big john's picture

Available locally?

Sat, 2006-08-19 19:06

Can you get them in Oz Honsu?

WA based manufacturer and supplier of premium leadhead jigs, fligs, bucktail jigs, 'bulletproof' soft plastic jig heads and XOS bullet jig heads.

Jigs available online in my web store!

honsu chin's picture

Yes it is. We'll have them

Sat, 2006-08-19 19:41

Yes it is. We'll have them in the shop very soon and the new rods.

364 South Street,
O'Connor, Perth WA
Ph# 9337 5682
** OPEN 7 DAYS **

jay_burgess's picture

Saltist is a good reel and

Mon, 2006-08-21 17:17

Saltist is a good reel and I'm now stocking Daiwa as I've just done a deal with them, personally I prefer the Torium's but each to their own....... JMO

Just did some research, the torium is 3+1 bearings whilst the saltist is 4+1. How much would the extra bearing affect performance?

honsu chin's picture

It would depends on where

Mon, 2006-08-21 18:21

It would depends on where they put it....

364 South Street,
O'Connor, Perth WA
Ph# 9337 5682
** OPEN 7 DAYS **

jay_burgess's picture

please explain honsu.

Mon, 2006-08-21 21:03

please explain honsu.

honsu chin's picture

well.....bearings can be

Mon, 2006-08-21 21:49

well.....bearings can be placed in all moving parts but wat if there was like one in the spool, one in line roller and one in handle knob but only one on the main gear while one side is supported with bushing. Same as the shaft, if that was supported at the end with a bushing, hell....reel is gonna be rough sooner than one with only 4 bearings. Stainless steel bearings would help longevity as well but nah....cheap open ended will do. This is where ARB and CRBB becomes abit more modern than just stainless steel. Basically these bearings are heat treated and coated with their own special brew to create that hard wearing ultra smooth finish and also more rust resistance than stainless ones.

This is according to the technicians at Shimano and Daiwa.

364 South Street,
O'Connor, Perth WA
Ph# 9337 5682
** OPEN 7 DAYS **