Towing and 150HP Outboard Support Suggestions

Have a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke. Going to tow it over 3500kms on east west highway connected to a 6 meter Aluminium Quinnny and trailer.

New to this all suggestion welcome on supporting the outboard, re blocks of wood, roping or genuine supports welcome.

big john's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/06

Got one

Sun, 2013-09-15 10:08

yshop.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/trailer-tilt-motor-support

I've got one of these and its been great.

WA based manufacturer and supplier of premium leadhead jigs, fligs, bucktail jigs, 'bulletproof' soft plastic jig heads and XOS bullet jig heads.

Jigs available online in my web store!

Date Joined: 29/06/11

what about sideways movement

Sun, 2013-09-15 10:37

Does the leg need strapping so it does not move side to side as well.

big john's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/06

Strap

Sun, 2013-09-15 10:42

Securely strap the hull to the trailer, that's the secret.

Only ever used the support shown above, no other strapping on the motor.

Others may have different opinions though.

WA based manufacturer and supplier of premium leadhead jigs, fligs, bucktail jigs, 'bulletproof' soft plastic jig heads and XOS bullet jig heads.

Jigs available online in my web store!

Date Joined: 20/01/10

would even consider unbolting

Sun, 2013-09-15 13:02

would even consider unbolting it , boxing it get it freighted over seperate ?

unbolting not an option

Sun, 2013-09-15 13:55

No unbolting will not be an option. Will be taking it easy on the way back just need to get the securing of the motor right. Thinking about the Yamaha trailer tilt motor support or a m-y wedge.

spinksy's picture

Date Joined: 06/10/10

Google My-Wedge

Tue, 2013-09-17 04:49

I got one of these and its a great idea, just slips over one of the tilt rams and awayyou go. Took about a week to get here in the post from the US.

Date Joined: 18/01/12

unbolting it wouldnt be a

Tue, 2013-09-17 09:18

unbolting it wouldnt be a good idea, suddenly your 100kg towball download becomes double or triple. (picture when you were a kid on a see saw and your idiot brother jumps off suddenly )

I sometimes strap mine with a brace but in reality when you are at sea in rough weather youve got 100hp odd trying to twist it off the transom plus pounding far more violent than what you'll get on a near new sealed road across the Nullabor.

Really the biggest danger is flogging itself against the freeplay in the linkages so bring the outboard down preferably to the trim rams (as opposed to tilt) then a rope from the corners of trailer around the leg and to the other corner.

I drove the road you will use only 2 months ago and at least as far as Kal where I went north you could do 200kmh all the way if you wanted.

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

Got a Yamaha Support

Sat, 2013-09-21 06:39

Thanks guys ended up getting the genuine Yamaha outboard support like the link below.

http://yshop.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/trailer-tilt-motor-support.

All the Yamaha dealers in Perth have them. They are not cheap but a great idea. Managed to get them down to $70. (Normally $78).

Stevo81's picture

Date Joined: 16/04/12

Also put outboard in gear.

Sat, 2013-09-21 06:48

Also put outboard in gear. Stops prop from spinning on bushes and seals when they're dry.

••••••••  Electrical Contractor NOR  ••••••••

Sea Hunter's picture

Date Joined: 04/07/13

Wheel bearings

Sat, 2013-09-21 23:50

Make sure your wheel bearings are adjusted and packed with grease. Not much worse than trying to service them on the side of the road.

outboard in gear

Sun, 2013-09-22 20:21

Thanks stevo will definitely put in gear-good advice. Thanks Sea Hunter the owner of the boat is kindly replacing all the bearings and going to give me the old ones as spares.

Date Joined: 03/03/10

you can have it

Mon, 2013-09-23 18:06

I have a outboard support that has a spring on it it fits between the leg and trailer frame, it is fully adjustable just needs some wd40 you can have it if you want send me a pm for the address