What a weekend-Jan 2020 Albany

Well, that has to be the best consecitive 4-5 days of fishing weahter i have seen in my whole fishing career down south in Albany. A collection of pics  across a few days fishing. Great deep dropping weather. Fish where on the chew from the first drop.

Yes- its a lot of fish. Yes its within our bag limits, so pls dont comment if you don't know the rules yourself :) i'm very aware of what we are allowed to take etc. Remeber these where not all taken on the same day.

Great times on the sth coast 

Image Upload: 

Brock O's picture

Date Joined: 11/01/08

Awesome...just planned a trip

Thu, 2020-01-30 13:45

Awesome...just planned a trip away for April. Lot a work with the hopes all on good weather.

Great stuff.

Wes F's picture

Date Joined: 07/01/12

Good haul. Those nannies are

Thu, 2020-01-30 14:01

Good haul. Those nannies are good on the tooth.

Old fishermen never die they just smell that way.

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Farrrrk yeah!! I'd take all

Thu, 2020-01-30 14:14

Farrrrk yeah!! I'd take all that except the Queenies, spose you have to give the neighbours something lol

Love the West!

carnarvonite's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/07

Queenies

Sat, 2020-02-01 06:19

Nothing wrong with queenies, prefer them to the vastly over rated dhufish any day. What turns a lot of people off them is the brown stripe down from the shoulder after you have skinned them, cut it off and hog into them.

The nannies are in my top 3 fish category along with boarfish and robbo sea bream

Date Joined: 17/06/10

happy is the man

Thu, 2020-01-30 16:50

With a handful of dhuies like that, well done

Jackfrost80's picture

Date Joined: 07/05/12

Killed it man! Must be a

Thu, 2020-01-30 21:01

Killed it man! Must be a bloody healthy fishery down there.

Officially off the Pies bandwagon

Colt_Striker's picture

Date Joined: 26/07/09

Top stuff mate, spewing I

Fri, 2020-01-31 02:52

Top stuff mate, spewing I didn't get out down there on the Long weekend but expect Emu Point was a mad house.

Date Joined: 28/01/14

Thanks guys.Fishery is only

Fri, 2020-01-31 07:59

Thanks guys.

Fishery is only healthy cause we can't get out often weather wise..I don't go near Emu Pt...only beach launch to get away from the crowds and holiday crews.

Queenies- one day they wher ejust like flies, you cna only take what ends up on your hook-plus you are correct, others less fortunate love fresh snapper-only nanny for me :)

next stop =  4 weeks in Coral Bay MArch/APril- can't wait !!

Date Joined: 01/01/70

Nice boat mate

Fri, 2020-01-31 11:46

Nice boat mate, those nannies make my mouth watery. As for the queenies I prefer to release them,,, such beautiful looking fish and fight like fuck, might keep one for sweet and sour fish but anymore they go to waste. It’s gunna take you a whole year to get through all them fillets. To me that’s pure greed.

Jackfrost80's picture

Date Joined: 07/05/12

4 blokes with 8 fish each and

Fri, 2020-01-31 13:19

4 blokes with 8 fish each and each nanny would feed what? Two hungry adults? That's not including the kids/dinner guests and slinging a few fillets to your folks etc. If the bag limit is 8 and the weather only lets you fill your boots a few times a year then I don't see the problem.

Officially off the Pies bandwagon

sea-kem's picture

I'm just gonna get the

Fri, 2020-01-31 13:13

I'm just gonna get the popcorn out.

Love the West!

still trying's picture

Date Joined: 27/06/17

Yep I cringed when I read

Fri, 2020-01-31 13:16

Yep I cringed when I read it. My crays last 7 months in the freezer and I don't feel greedy at all. 

rather be fishing

Date Joined: 28/01/14

there is always one....

Fri, 2020-01-31 13:43

there is always one....

Date Joined: 09/03/13

Awesome catch and well

Fri, 2020-01-31 14:18

Awesome catch and well done.  some great pics and really looks like the weather treated you well.

Ive never fished albany before so just curious how far you have to go to get some decent fish.  Google earth says the shelf is about 30km (sound right?) so pretty easy on a good day but can you get decent dhu/ pinkies etc closer in? 

Date Joined: 19/06/14

Take what you’re allowed to.

Sat, 2020-02-01 06:35

Our weather windows up here are few and far between each year , we take what we're allowed to . Fillet and vacuum bagged properly seldom does it last between trips . I see no problem with operating within the guidines . 

My wife understands why I clean my rods n reels in the shower....

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

awesome effort there. them

Sat, 2020-02-01 21:01

awesome effort there. them nannies are def on my top5 eating . knowing what albany is like , get what you can when you can, doesnt happen often 

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together

Yep fair game’ I doubt the weather man plays apart”

Sun, 2020-02-02 00:02

,,, just because the rules say you can kill a pig doesn’t mean you can. But sometimes you feel like it haa, Go back 25yrs ago,,,,hmmm, Perth was just as good fishing as down in Albany, and then they reduced the limits for a reason, the rules used to say,,,,we can fill the hull of the boat with fish no worries, and we all have the pictures of back in the day with a deck full of dhuies drinking swan gold and saying fuck yeah,,,,good day. Guilty as charged cnt, But the fisho population was just the locals back then. Quadruple the population plus some because us poor aussies like to share our land with the unfortunate and guess what, they’re greedy too, it’s all good but learn from a fk up...all you catch over there now is a blind mullet if you lucky. From these pictures you have killed a pig, that’s great and well within your rights just like back then, but now we all know how easy it is to take advantage of a good situation and we will, one day, Your grandkids will see photos of pops boat filled with fish in Albany and say fuck those were the dayz,,, I’m sick of these blind mullet pop.,,,This is taking the piss surely, a deck covered in mother in-law fish and red gold,, plus another pic of a hull full of barcod and to top it off 2 stonking dhuies,,, fucckkka come on., if you got that much good fish why slay a beautiful poor old queeny ... Because a cave man from the iceage (Albany) told me all good. Ohh yeah handball it to the neighbours to feed the chickens, Pull your head out of that cold southern ocean for a minute, weather pending,,, and come fish Perth waters for 2 fish per man, it’s good. Makes you appreciate how good a slab of red Snapper shared with family can be.
I’ve seen this shit at a boat ramp in Walpole once before, 4 blokes and 36 good fish, one days catch. After filleting the 4th fish they all lost interest and started slabbing them off leaving about 20plus mm of meat on the bone and then throwing the rest to the stringrays. Greed is our worst enemy. Ohh and to top it off your going to coral bay next month to fill up another freezer with red fish.
This is only my opinion so don’t think to much intoit, 35% jealous, 65 you decide.
Maybe next time just show us the best pictures of the trip.

Yep

Sun, 2020-02-02 07:36

Something tells me you're the type of guy who tows a 16 ft pop top behind a 200 series at 75 kph in the middle of nowhere with 27 cars and boats behind you because you can . Not because the rules allow you to drive at 100 but you like to drive like that just so you can brag to your mates about your fuel economy. Yes , I'll agree with the fact that in the past people have taken more than their fair share and the fisheries have suffered as a result . That's why the Metropolitan fishery is subject to such a strict bag limit.

Thats why the metropolitan fishery is bouncing back quite beautifully.

Pull your head out of your rear end and look at the statistics of boat ownership in Western Australia.   For ( roughly ) 85000 boats registered in WA guess where 85 % of em live ? , try the metro area . Ever wonder why you can only take two demersals during the season ? , do the maths . Even better grab a map and your favorite red crayon and draw a line 20 nm out to sea from Mandurah and do the same from Two Rocks , join up the two lines with a North South line and work out the square miles . Do the same for the rest of the WA coastline and maybe you'll see that there's an awfully big area with a small number of boats ( more often than not, no boats ) to go fish it . Maybe this will help you understand why this metropolitan fishery is managed the way it is. How many boats Venture out in the Southern Ocean each day , not many one would think. 

How often does the weather allow this ? . Not often one would think.

This site is for likeminded people who love fishing and being out on the water .

This site is for likeminded people to put up their pictures of what they caught .

This site allows LIKEMINDED people to congratulate each other when they have a crackerjack day .

Something tells me you're not a likeminded person.

Obviously you've got an axe to grind, this is not the place to get supporters for your cause.

Just remember this one fact .

For every day like these guys had on their boat they would have had 20 sessions where they struggled to catch the bag limit ! 

As for your insinuation about racism.......

sea-kem's picture

Sun, 2020-02-02 09:38

Love the West!

Date Joined: 03/01/12

Out of

Sun, 2020-02-02 15:29

Out of Popcorn yet Andy?

Well said Silver Fox, I fish Albany and Cheynes as often as I can, and guess what? More often than not you don't get anywhere near that amount of fish.

A day out of the box and well done to him.

Skull

sea-kem's picture

Ha ha yes mate I'm done.

Sun, 2020-02-02 16:40

Ha ha yes mate I'm done. It's good to see an eclectic mix of fisho's on here, but damn (generally speaking)  if you're  going to be triggered by a bag out then this site is not for you. Like Chris said half the time you can't even get out due to shiteful weather, then you actually have to catch the damn things. I've had 8hr days out there and nothing and I reckon I've got a bit of a clue where to find em. Anyway fish on!

Love the West!

Date Joined: 01/06/19

Great haul.

Sun, 2020-02-02 14:13

Great haul of fish mate !

Read all the comments with great interest, as I can well remember as a young fella that fished almost exclusively out of Windy Harbour.

No bag limits or any type of control 40+ years ago.

We were kids (farmers sons) of 17-18yrs with boats back then.

A huge day would see a 20 or so boats out, you could see the trailers parked up on the beach.

You had to have a tractor or 4x4 to launch your boat, very rudimentary ramp, usually silted up.

Where the Southern ocean meets the Indian ocean....very interesting as far as swell and weather goes, hence not many days suitable to head out deep.

No GPS,s, so distance travelled, triangulation and local knowledge were king.

Sounders, who can remember the old Furuno paper roll type ?

We would head down to Chatham Island, behind Cow and Calf rocks or way out past the shipping lanes.

Adverse conditions, few boats and many other scenarios led to a very good fishery back then, and contacts can still catch good fish today.

Yes, I live and work here in Perth now, just remember we will look back in another 20 years and realize that "these are the good old days".

BTW, still catching Dhu,s Snapper, Black arse cod etc and crays, just not eating as many........

Jackalchub's picture

Date Joined: 10/03/12

Nice Haul mate, Not sure

Sun, 2020-02-02 08:59

Nice Haul mate, Not sure what all the fuss is about releasing queen snapper.. besides that weird bloody bit (which I cut out).. I like them better than pinks. Well played and cheers for the post 

Gnaraloo

Sun, 2020-02-02 16:43

When you going to be there Andy ? I'm keen to pop up for a day trip on the Ss Minnow ...  Maybe we can catch a Whaleshark or two ! 

Re; Yep

Sun, 2020-02-02 20:05

Rito crackerjack, the sliver fox, great reply and I honestly don’t disagree with anything you said apart from the bit at the start, definitely not me mate. Cobb’s this site is indeed for like minded fishos but it’ll be a fkn boring site if we all agreed and had the same opinions. Ya greedy bastards. Hahaha

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

Fair bump

Mon, 2020-02-03 20:10

Fair bump, play on. Bag limits are bag limits, if i could catch it then i'd take it. Certainly not going to waste. Cant wait to get south in a month, another long hot pilbara summer.

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

still trying's picture

I agree no different to

Mon, 2020-02-03 20:13

I agree no different to taking a 51cm black bream

rather be fishing

still trying's picture

Sorry had to bring it up

Mon, 2020-02-03 20:14

Sorry had to bring it up

rather be fishing

Bahahah don’t be like them

Mon, 2020-02-03 21:08

That was a stonka ay, only 1 bream though, not a boat load and it swallowed a size 6 o hook with half a bluey on it.

Da pirate's picture

Date Joined: 03/05/15

Ohhh ..

Mon, 2020-02-03 21:57

Ohhh .. bada boom ..  

still trying's picture

Yeah it was huge that's why

Mon, 2020-02-03 21:57

Yeah it was huge that's why I thought leave it alone. Good on the both of you I reckon. Good catches all round we are all like minded. Let's all keep fishing

rather be fishing

straith's picture

Date Joined: 25/11/13

FISH AND LET FISH, I always

Wed, 2020-02-05 10:20

FISH AND LET FISH, I always say,

And If you break the rules... wear it

Playon!!!

Chris fish's picture

Date Joined: 23/02/11

Weather has been amazing.

Fri, 2020-02-07 21:27

Not often do you get weather like that. 
Bag limits like that can be a double edged sword, once filleted possession limit is still 20kg of fillet. Done multi day trips and deep drop fish one day bag limit filleted is normally all your allowed to take. 

always looking for a new challenge!!