1982 Quintrex CC refit

Gday all,

I thought I would throw up a few pics of a recent refit I did on my 5.0m 1982 Quintrex centre console... The boat has been in the family since about 1988, and has gone through a few changes over those years. The centre console is out of a Banana boat, the bow rails were cut off years back and replaced with lower ones, the outboard is a 1999 Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke.... this Reno involved an interior re-spray, re-wire, new floor and carpet, new ice box, and a new cutting board...

In 2 weeks time we are off to Exmouth once again to explore the bottom of the gulf....

Image Upload: 

Coastrunner's picture

Date Joined: 25/10/14

Quinny Fishabout

Thu, 2018-03-29 06:11

As Aussie as a meat pie, good job.

Date Joined: 19/06/14

Niice

Thu, 2018-03-29 06:59

An oldie but a goodie . Good to see an old duck getting a new lease on life , they sure don’t build em like they used to any more . Well done ! 

My wife understands why I clean my rods n reels in the shower....

Date Joined: 08/06/15

Looks the goods. Done a good

Thu, 2018-03-29 09:25

Looks the goods. Done a good job on it!

Date Joined: 17/07/07

nice boat

Thu, 2018-03-29 15:12

she would fly with a 90 on it, i`ve got exactly the same boat with a 75hp

Wannafish's picture

Date Joined: 20/05/12

The 90 goes great! Not so

Thu, 2018-03-29 18:13

The 90 goes great! Not so much for top speed, but more for not getting stuck between swells... it previously had a 70 Johnson, then Evinrude, and a mixture between the two... The 90 is off a commercial pearl boat, so would have hundreds if not thousands of hours on it, but it has been totally reliable. I had to build up the transom to suit the 90 as it is an xl shaft. This works perfectly for beach launching, and just getting the power head a further 6 inches away from the water... Max speed is about 34 knots... A 130 Yamaha 4 stroke would be perfect for the bottom of Exmouth Gulf!!

Francis's picture

Date Joined: 17/06/08

Deck space and lots of it !

Thu, 2018-03-29 15:26

Deck space and lots of it ! Nice !  I reckon you've got most bases covered for fishing, crabbing, squidding, diving - the lot. 

No doubt plenty of fish will hit the decks in that.

Wannafish's picture

It has had plenty of fish in

Thu, 2018-03-29 15:37

It has had plenty of fish in it already! My Dad bought it off a professional fisherman who used it to fish for Spangled Emperor from Ningaloo for part of the year, and had it at Giralia Station for the remainder of the year net and shark fishing....

It now is used mainly for a  once a year trip up north and the odd bit of crabbing 

Francis's picture

Date Joined: 17/06/08

If only it could talk -

Thu, 2018-03-29 15:47

If only it could talk - imagine the stories it could tell !

ranmar850's picture

Date Joined: 12/08/12

I had a 90Hp Yamaha on my Quintrex

Sat, 2018-03-31 06:26

It was a 600 navigator fitted up as a CC. Pushed it along well, just very thirsty at trolling speeds. Have you had the flywheel plastic cover off for a look? Mine locked up while starting, once, couldn't figure out what was wrong. Pulled that cover off, three bolts, and found the starter pinion jammed between two teeth. Pried it off with a screwdriver, started. There were three worn patches of teeth on the flywheel where the pinion engaged, 120 degrees apart. If you think about it, with a triple, there are going to be three crankshaft positions where a triple can  stop and rock back on compression when you shut down. So this is where they will start next. I suspect mine had a lot more hours on it than the hourmeter suggested. Later on, it developed a problem where it wouldn't rev past 3600rpm. Felt like it was hitting a rev limiter. It turned out the missing/worn teeth on the flywheel were the culprit--revs are read off the flywheel, and the missing teeth were confusing it. Cost me a grand to get a s/hand flywheel assembly, problem fixed.

Wannafish's picture

I had the plastic cover off

Sat, 2018-03-31 17:04

I had the plastic cover off years ago to pull start it due to a flat battery... the only other starting issue was with loose starter bolts causing the starter to kink sideways a bit - it made a wierd noise when I started it over the other side of Exmouth Gulf, so I didn’t turn it off until I got back to the marina. It then wouldn’t start, and back at the caravan park I discovered 1 missing bolt and the other 1 (or 2??) loose..

We do a lot of trolling, but would rarely use more than 50L of fuel in a day - makes it hard to justify the $ for a 4 stroke.... (even though I would love one!!)

ranmar850's picture

It wasn't the dollars for fuel for me.

Sun, 2018-04-01 07:50

I sold that boat to get another one, which came with twin 60hp two strokes in mint condition. But when a s/hand four stroke came up at a great price, I went for it. My major issue when you are camped remotely , like we do at Ningaloo each year, is carrying enough fuel to keep fishing without wasting time going into Exmouth or Coral bay to get more. I like to go to Exmouth once a fortnight for fresh stores and fuel, and avoid Coral Bay wherever possible. Two strokes really suck at billfish trolling speeds--I had a fuel flow meter on that 90hp yammie, and it was between 13 and 18 l/hr skipping gar. The F115 was 3-4 l/hr. Huge difference. And, as we do a lot more trolling nowadays, having caught the marlin bug, well, that's why they call them billfish.

I used to do a lot more anchoring over spots and floating baits back , which is easy on fuel, but the sharks make that harder all the time.

Wannafish's picture

I was thinking more of the

Sun, 2018-04-01 08:10

I was thinking more of the trolling speed I do for Trout - just idling along! Billfish Trolling is a horrible speed - half on the plane... I have only done it once for 10 mins - out the back of Black Rock Passage at Ningaloo, and got the Sailfish in my Profile Pic...

We used to go to Ningaloo once a year for 2 weeks at a time and did the same trip in to Exmouth for supplies - now we stay in Exmouth instead...

Wannafish's picture

Double post

Sun, 2018-04-01 09:01

Double post

ranmar850's picture

Yes, not a massive difference at really low speeds

Sun, 2018-04-01 08:52

You're right about that half on the plane thing--my 600 Quintrex was trying to break oto the plane at 7 knots, you had to trim the nose hard down to stop it=big fuel. The glass boat did a lot better at that. Have fun down the bottom of the gulf, awesome country I hear. I'll be doing more time in Exmouth with the new rig, outside of our annual Ningaloo trip, and the other side of the gulf  is firmly on the agenda.

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Great post mate, can I ask

Mon, 2018-04-02 18:21

Great post mate, can I ask what that black box is below your isolator?

Love the West!

Wannafish's picture

If it is the one I think you

Mon, 2018-04-02 21:54

If it is the one I think you are referring to (next to the isolator) - it is connected to the cheap EBay membrane Switch panel on the outside of the console... I wanted to avoid external switches as much as possible due to the amount of water the console is exposed to, so for about $70 I thought I would give this a go... so far so good ...

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Ahhh yeah gotcha now, didn't

Tue, 2018-04-03 05:56

Ahhh yeah gotcha now, didn't realise it's looking at the back of the console.

Love the West!