200 series landcruiser bull bar question

hi all
Looking at getting a bull bar for my 200 series (current shape) and wanted to know if anyone has a genuine toyo steel bar and has hit anything with it?
- reason for asking is - I can get a genuine toyota steel bar very cheap (long and boring story) but had a gen toyo alloy bar (different yes yes I know) on a 100 series I had about 10 years ago - I hit a roo on the coral bay road with it which I reckon would have at best pushed the plastic bumper back and maybe broken the grill - instead the whole thing folded back over the bonnet and headlights causing a lot of damage - translated the previous bars were spot welded cr@pola
Since then I have always had ARB bars and no doubt they are up at the top of the list in terms of quality but at ~$3500 wondering if it is worth the difference for me?
cheers

gruntre69's picture

Date Joined: 15/10/16

It's a tough call, I have

Thu, 2018-08-09 11:40

It's a tough call, I have had ARB and like them. I have always thought the toyota ones look ugly and strength looks questionable. That's interesting to hear that my suspicions on strength were correct.

I love the look of the ARB I have on my 200 but they are expensive and they also have an effect on fuel ecomomy.

Marine trimmer NOR (available for clears, tops, carpet, upholstery, custom equipment covers)

pelagicyachts's picture

Date Joined: 23/02/11

thanks mate - yeah the older

Thu, 2018-08-09 11:51

thanks mate - yeah the older alloy bars were just spot welded - but the current shape 200 bar (steel) looks pretty solid - in terms of fuel economy - didn't notice on my last 200 (2010) but in reality never did a before and after - biggest impact I had was front end suspension sagged really quickly (but I have a winch as well)

Coastrunner's picture

Date Joined: 25/10/14

ARB

Thu, 2018-08-09 12:54

I cant comment on the Toyota steel bar but I hit a reasonable size roo a few days ago and I was glad I had an ARB steel bar on my 200, quick inspection for damage, drag the roo off the road and truck on. I also have a winch and spotties, not sure if the OEM bar accommodates these.

pelagicyachts's picture

yep they are good and strong

Thu, 2018-08-09 13:46

yep they are good and strong - that's the other thing - OEM cant take winch (prev could), I have only used my winch twice - both times I could have got out without it but it just made life easier - what it does give me though is confidence to go places I may not without it......

if you have not seen this vid - its a good watch on how quickly things can go to ssst!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8trkgFX6wI

Date Joined: 09/10/06

Had the Arb summit bar

Thu, 2018-08-09 15:24

Had the Arb summit bar fitted to my new cruiser. Yep cost alit more than most but look good and are built strong. I'm sure your aware you will get abit of sag over time on the front from the bar. To add to the cost l had some heavier shocks fitted to take the weight. 

pelagicyachts's picture

yeah the OEM springs are soft

Thu, 2018-08-09 15:25

yeah the OEM springs are soft - I changed mine out on my last 200 to OME - just cause I liked the yellow :-)

gruntre69's picture

Date Joined: 15/10/16

Yep I have OME and ARB

Thu, 2018-08-09 21:44

Yep I have OME and ARB bar/winch. No sag..

Marine trimmer NOR (available for clears, tops, carpet, upholstery, custom equipment covers)

Date Joined: 01/02/10

I had the arb sahara on my

Fri, 2018-08-10 11:23

I had the arb sahara on my last 200. Haven’t put a bar on my new one yet but struggling to justify the near 4 grand as well. The Ironman bars look pretty good for half the $$.

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Date Joined: 16/05/09

Check the Ironman bar before

Fri, 2018-08-10 12:32

Check the Ironman bar before you buy it, rewelded a mates mounting points after it parted ways because of shit welding. I have a Tjm bar on mine and wish I had put the arb one on instead.

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Yep have read some average

Fri, 2018-08-10 13:04

Yep have read some average feedback on Ironman products. Just had a newer version deluxe ARB roo bar fitted to my new Ranger, top kwoll and worth the $ imo.

Love the West!

pelagicyachts's picture

ARB would be a no brainer if

Fri, 2018-08-10 15:13

ARB would be a no brainer if I did not have to fork out the big bucks on my newly constructed baitboard mount off a "certain" member! hahaha

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Ha ha yeah the bastardo 

Fri, 2018-08-10 16:01

Ha ha yeah the bastardo 

Love the West!

Date Joined: 29/09/15

TJM

Thu, 2018-08-23 08:26

I've got the ARB summit bar on my 200 (there's no TJM up where I live) but if I had my time again i'd seriously consider the TJM outback bar. Its a full bumper replacement so its easy to fit DIY and has built in recovery points and is a few hundred cheaper than the ARB bar. They suit the front end of the new shape 200's real well too.

pelagicyachts's picture

thanks mate - got a coral bay

Thu, 2018-08-23 15:17

thanks mate - got a coral bay trip in October so need to get on to it -
it all starts to add up tho - 4k for a bull bar, then you need to do front springs, then if you do front springs should prob do back, then if you doing springs may as well change shocks......
:-(